Stay (Aud Torvingen #2)

Stay (Aud Torvingen #2)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  820 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Aud (it rhymes with "shroud" ) Torvingen is six feet tall with blond hair and blue eyes. She can restore a log cabin with antique tools or put a man in a coma with her bare hands. As imagined by Nicola Griffith in this ferocious masterpiece of literary noir, Aud is a hero who combines the tortured complexity with moral authority.

In the aftermath of her lover's murder, the...more
Published June 10th 2003 by Vintage (first published June 9th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Stay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
45th out of 963 books — 1,142 voters
Fun Home by Alison BechdelTipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenFingersmith by Sarah WatersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
100 Best Lesbian Fiction & Memoir Books Of All Time
75th out of 518 books — 570 voters

More lists with this book...

Ulf Kastner
Nov 02, 2007 Ulf Kastner rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: weary desperados discovering their vulnerable facets
I'd read Nicola Griffith's previous book featuring the same protagonist, Aud Torvingen, about seven years ago and couldn't recall much in terms of plot or mood as I began to read this one.

That is until a scene of climactic violence by ways of superhuman ferocity courtesy of the protagonist suddenly erupted about halfway into the book. Things began to fall into place and I remembered what I'd liked and what left me feeling ambivalent about The Blue Place. Aud is a noir superheroine and I'm not to...more
Sharonm
I really loved this second in the Aud (rhymes with crowd) Torvingen series. I'd already read the first and third, somehow missing this one. Griffith does an amazing job of making her characters, and especially Aud, real people. So much so, in fact, that any description of them (her) here sounds cliche. Aud is a martial arts expert, tuned into both nature and spirituality, lesbian, essentially fearless ... the combination of which makes her sound like a cartoon character. However, in this series,...more
Julie
ok really like the aud torvingen series.
Baxter Trautman
Excellent sequel, in which Aud's heart, alluded too in The Blue Place, shines through. Crafty Nicola Griffith set Aud up beautifully in this taut, richly written mystery.
Gordon
It's a wonderful book. As with all writers, once Griffith gets in a groove, she loses some of the luster that betokened her first book. Aud remains a fascinating character. This book is one of the best descriptions of grief and its effects that I've ever read. Those who have read The Blue Place will understand why as this book follows the loss of Julia. The strength of the book is the way in which it sees the world through Aud's eyes. As such the world is broad, filled with different senses, and...more
Miriam
Not really a mystery.
Jae
Aug 18, 2011 Jae rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
First, the good stuff: the characters, as in the first book of this trilogy, are well conceived as people (even if Aud is sometimes too good to be true, there's nothing about her that couldn't exist, so there's no actual suspension of disbelief required). The writing is just pretty enough to be delightful and not so self-consciously pretty that it's distracting. Griffith manages to write an introverted, mad-with-grief protagonist who has spent most of the last several months completely alone, an...more
Althea Ann
Griffith has written a couple of excellent sci-fi novels ('Ammonite' and 'Slow River'). 'Stay is more of a thriller/crime novel, but since I had liked her other books so much, I decided to pick it up.
What I didn't realize is that it is also a sequel (to 'The Blue Place'). It does work as a stand-alone, but I wish I had read 'The Blue Place' first.
In 'Stay' we meet Aud Torvingen - a Scandinavian ex-policewoman & private detective, who is in the middle of reclusively renovating an Appalachian...more
Wildlx
Stay continues the story of Aud Torvingen, the complex character introduced by Nicola Griffith in The Blue Place. In profound grief over the death of her lover, Aud has been living a reclusive life, rebuilding a cabin in the forests of North Carolina. Her friend Dornan visits with a request to find her missing fiancé and Aud, reluctantly, agrees to the task. After all she has to keep her promise to her dead lover and stay in the world. She finds the missing Tammy in a loft in New York, where she...more
Alena
I don't know where Griffith takes all that emotion from. The contrast between light and dark, happy and sad. And then manages to wrap it all up in beautiful prose.

As with Blue Place, this novel is a character study rapped in a crime novel. Aud Torvingen set out to find a friend of a friend, and gets much more involved than she originally plans. I 'struggled' a bit in the first novel to like a character with that much darkness in her. While the light that surrounded her made that process easy in...more
Mfred
Melody
11/2012 The ice is cracking in Aud. She's so sure she's got all the answers in the first book, and in this one she doesn't even know how to frame the question. I love the growth, the way the plot unspools, and all the fully-fleshed out minor characters. Not to mention the Narnia bits.

6/2009 In this book Aud becomes more human. Coping with tragedy, she begins to realize that it's not all black and white, not all controllable. She's still superhuman, still incredibly compelling to me, and Griffit...more
Vanessa
I liked this book, the second of the Aud series, more than the first. I'd give it a 3.5. Aud seemed a little less judgmental (just a little) and more relatable. I finished this book in one day but I wouldn't necessarily call this a quick read.

This is my second time to read it--the first was over a decade ago when it was released. Strangely enough, I thought this book was just about Aud building a cabin alone and dealing with her grief. I didn't remember the story at all!

"Stay" is a great follo...more
Rachel Neumeier
STAY is a wonderful book, a very worthy sequel to THE BLUE PLACE

STAY is less of a mystery or a thriller than a grief-and-recovery story -- but I don't at all mean to warn you off; there's a good amount of mystery and action. But what's going on with Aud's personal development is central and the action happens around the edges, as it were.

In STAY, Aud is a much more human, much more approachable protagonist than she was in the first book. I liked her very much in the first book, but there she was...more
Nina
When my sister was in Seattle, she grabbed this book for me because I wanted to read more books by this author. I found out about her while in Seattle many years ago and had read Slow River which was really great. In this book, Aud, the main character, is a classic noir protagonist. Her mourning of her lover badly hampers her in life, but she shines when she's on the case. The story of her search for a friend's lover is very convincing, as is her character. This author was suggested by someone a...more
Murphy
I really liked this book. Nicola Griffith is really woman empowering. She makes you feel like you can handle just about anything.
Darlynne
Nicola Griffith writes so beautifully about grief, anger, loss, anguish. Aud's story is powerful and violent; ultimately, very satisfying.
Nicole
Nov 29, 2011 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: noir
Aud is a great protagonist. She's damaged but functional, and her damage reveals itself in interesting ways. She's still reeling from the murder of Julia, her girlfriend and moral center, but reluctantly puts an end to her self-imposed exile from the world in order to help a friend find his missing girlfriend. Aud's decisions as to what she will and won't do are always interesting to observe, because Griffith takes us through her sometimes fractured thought process and makes every conclusion tha...more
Elizabeth Hunter
This is a sequel to The Blue Place and deals with some of the consequences of that book and the further development of the character of Aud Torvingen. I find it curious that the scenes of violence are fast paced and almost incoherent, often requiring me to flip back to figure out what actually happened in them, while the slower moments are lavished with lush, meditative prose. I find myself wishing that Griffith would go ahead and write a whole book about woodworking and leave out the film noir...more
Joan Flood
I am a long-time fan of Nicola Griffith. Each of her books has a really distinct style, great flawed characters, lots of atmosphere and I have read some of them more than once. This book is no exception. It is one I will return to again and again.

Aud, the protagonist, is devastated by the death of her lover. She is tough and tender hearted. And in need of resurrection. I read long into the night to find out if she succeeded. A thoroughly good read, beautifully written.

Fiona
So I pretty much read this in a day and a half. Nicola Griffiths writing is very rich, the plot tight, and there is a ton of different scenery. From New York to the Blue Ridge Mountains, to Arkansas. The overall feeling of the book is very sadthough, because the main character is struggling with grief, and it is very realistically represented, and it overshadows everyhthing that happens throughout the book. I am excited to read more of her work!
Gill
Ckbiffster
one of the most original and beautifully-written crime novels i've read. the main character is hard-core, complex and one of the most unique i've encountered in the genre(not that i've read any other lesbian-detective novels, tho i know there are others). plus, you can learn to renovate a log cabin just by the detailed descriptions of the main character's efforts at same; practical education from an noir-action thriller!
Anna
Aud is a super tough heroine. It took me through part one of the book to REALLY get into it, but then, i was very into it! also, i thought it was neat that i originally got that book from lost and found at film forum, in new york, and then come to find out part of the book is set outside asheville NC, where i ended up moving.
Judi
"Grief changes everything. It's a brutal metamorphosis. A caterpillar at least gets the time to spin a cocoon before its internal organs dissolve and its skin sloughs off. I had no warnings."

My review:

Still one of the best books I've read expressing grief.
Emily
Another neat Nicola Griffith sci-fi novel, about a slightly alternate universe in the near future. Not only are her place descriptions evocative and her characters strong and interesting, but it's also about biosystems, genetic engineering, and pollution! It's a better read than that might sound, too.
Kris
Dammit, I just discovered that this was a sequel?! Wtf? Anyway, I like Nicola Griffith, and this one was really more like 4.5 stars. It's basically a detective story (I'd only read her sci-fi before). She really loves nature, and it shows in her writing. I guess I will go track down the first one?
marin
aud is overcome with grief at the death of her lover, julia, and is only pulled back into reality when a friend begs her to find his missing girlfriend. what unfolds is a festering pool of manipulation, sexual abuse, violence, and child trafficking. phenomenal.
Jodi
Midway through this book, I realized that it followed The Blue Place. Hopefully reading this one first won't ruin the previous novel for me. I liked the character, Aud, and really want to know what happened to lead Aud to that cabin in North Carolina.
Stef
Third in a series of books featuring Aud Torvingen, who started out seeming like a sort of lesbian James Bond, but is evolving more complexity by this book. This is a well-crafted novel with two intertwined plots -- a "stay up too late to finish it" sort of novel.
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • Justice in the Shadows (Justice, #3)
  • Solitaire
  • Thief of Always (Elite Operatives, #2)
  • Silver Collar (Garoul, #4)
  • Split-Level Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #8)
  • Hood
  • Amateur City (Kate Delafield, #1)
  • Close to Spider Man
  • Deal with the Devil (Cain Casey, #3)
  • Hurricane Watch (Dar and Kerry, #2)
  • And Playing the Role of Herself
Nicola Griffith has won the Nebula Award, the James Tiptree, Jr. Memorial Award, the World Fantasy Award, and six Lambda Literary Awards. She is also the co-editor of the Bending the Landscape series of anthologies. Her newest novel, Hild, will be published fall 2013. She lives in Seattle with her wife, writer Kelley Eskridge.

Series:
* Aud Torvingen
More about Nicola Griffith...
Hild Slow River Ammonite The Blue Place (Aud Torvingen, # 1) Always (Aud Torvingen #3)