Start by marking “The Reef” as Want to Read:
The Reef

The Reef

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Audio CD, 500 pages
Published October 1st 2006 by Bolinda Publishing (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Reef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reef

A Town Like Alice by Nevil ShuteThe Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughPicnic at Hanging Rock by Joan LindsayIn a Sunburned Country by Bill BrysonOn the Beach by Nevil Shute
Books Set in Australia
66th out of 370 books — 108 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakCloudstreet by Tim WintonTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenThe Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughA Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute
Best Modern Australian Literature
246th out of 316 books — 399 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda
I called this a beach book, One you can read while making sure the children do not drown as I never became connected ( I found the main character painful and weak)
Bronwyn Rykiert
I am finding the last two stories a bit some old, same old. The Islands and this one have a classic case of women marrying the wrong man, someone they have nothing in common with and spend the first half of the story complaining about it. Move on please. Some of Di's stories have been great but I am reluctant to read another in case it has a similar storyline.

You could tell that Jennifer and Blair were not a good match from word go. For me too it got a bit too much into saving the environment wh
Rosie
I enjoyed every minute of this book. Would like a sequel if possible.
Yang Shu-yuan
Die Ökologin Jennifer Towse folgt ihrem ehrgeizigen Mann Blair widerwillig auf eine kleine Urlaubsinsel am Great Barrier Reef, wo dieser die Leitung eines Hotels übernehmen soll. Jennifer fürchtet das Meer, denn als kleines Mädchen musste sie miterleben, wie ihr Vater und ihr Bruder ertrunken sind. Bald nach ihrer Ankunft zeigt sich, dass Blair in üble Machenschaften um das Hotelmanagement verstrickt ist. Noch schwieriger wird die Situation, nachdem Jennifer feststellt, dass sie ein Kind erwarte ...more
Billa
I have been meaning to read a Di Morrissey book for some time just to see what the fuss is about. I bought this one at an op shop while on holiday and having run out of reading material. Lots of things happened in this book much of which was not believable, and the story is shallow and undeveloped. There was a bit of everything and a lot of nothing. A really boring holiday read.
Jane Baker
Enjoyed this right from the first cover. This novel presents the conflicts experienced by a young girl whose father and brother are drowned on a visit to the beach having been a farming family and that of her mother. The mother is possessive. The young girl marries a young man in the hope of a better life only to find he is ambitious to get ahead rather than accommodate her growing desire to be a Marine Biologist. This scenario takes place on a lovely island in Queensland where all seems idealic ...more
Liz Phillips
I rated 4 for a holiday read, probably a bit generous but seemed appropriate given I read it in Bali by the beach
Bron
The Reef is the story of a young girl's maturation process, which just happens to occur on a peaceful resort on the Coral Reef. We watch Jennifer learn to deal with her dominant mother and male chauvenistic husband. Through her new social set, Jennifer realises that although her husband and mother do not believe she should use her studies, or even pursue them further, this is exactly what she would like to do, and her friends help her to achieve her goals.

Not the most exciting of Di Morrissey's
Vicki
I really love audio books, but the value I get out of this format is very much dependant on the narrator. In this case I felt the voice of the main character was very hard to take "Squeaky and high pitched like a little girl instead of a woman in her 20's." Other than that a very enjoyable story. One of her best.
Magicalbookfriend
Es ist ein wunderschönes Buch, was mich von der ersten bis zur letzten Seite sehr fasziniert hat. Ich habe es geliebt, mit Jennifer am Strand entlang zu wandern, ihre abende mit ihren neuen Freunden zu verbringen und zu sehen, ob sie jemals wieder ins Wasser steigt. Denn sie hatte als kleines Mädchen ein traumatisches Erlebnis.
Ein tolles Buch!
Anne
Was a bit disappointed again with Di Morrissey. There is not much excitement or much happening in this story. It was bland and the sort of story that could be shortened to appear in a womens magazine. Won't recommend as one of her better novels.
Bella George
Enjoyed the story, but the main character frustrated me with her weakness and not standing up to her husband and mother. Reading about the reef was interesting.
Paula

Can't stand the mother in this book.... Have never read this author before but thought I'd have a go... Don't think I'll bother with it
Jill
Dec 09, 2010 Jill added it
It just seemed to go on and on and the characters were a bit painful. Tackled too many issues. Not her best effort.
Els
Surprisingly enjoyable. That sounds mean, but her style is not my favourite. I liked the setting and characters.
Miranda
I actually read the book instead of the audio version. Not that great of a story, kinda leaves you hanging.
Marian
lovely description of the great barrier reef but pretty lousy story line.
Aug 16, 2010 Jennifer marked it as to-read
Recommended to Jennifer by: stumbled across it at walmart one day
the descriptions were impecable. I can read this book over and over
Gayle
great read particularly for a north queenslander- so real
Ron
Nancy 3 stars; Ron didnt read ...more
Nancy
Nancy 3 stars; Ron didn_t read ...more
Felicity
don't bother - really
Amberley
Amberley is currently reading it
May 02, 2015
KH
KH added it
Apr 29, 2015
Donna Brown
Donna Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
  • Heritage
  • The Girl and the Ghost-Grey Mare
  • Wings of Fear
  • Moth To The Flame
  • Sunset Ridge
  • Red Dust
  • Black Ice (Detective Jill Jackson, #3)
  • Matilda Is Missing
  • To Love, Honour And Betray (Till Divorce Us Do Part)
Di Morrissey (born 18 March 1948 in Wingham, New South Wales) is one of Australia's most popular female novelists. She grew up in the remote surrounds of Pittwater, north of Sydney, Australia.

Growing up she counted famous Australian actor Chips Rafferty as a close mentor and friend who helped provide for her and her mother after the death of her father as a child, sending them overseas to Californ
More about Di Morrissey...
Tears of the Moon The Plantation Barra Creek Monsoon Kimberley Sun