Start by marking “The Valley” as Want to Read:
The Valley

The Valley

Paperback
Published by Pan MacMillan (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Valley

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
I was tempted to make The Valley my first DNF for the year but I slogged through it to the end. I feel like I should have enjoyed the story, after all I live in The Valley that this book describes - {Hungerford is Taree renamed} and Di Morrissey and her husband live the next town away just near Wingham (which Di calls Cedartown).
It was good to read about my town and its familiar environs and fun to recognise even some of the characters (including the couple at the cafe) she includes - but really
✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿
This book was so hard to get through, I read it on and off over months and months, The only reason I kept going was because it was a gift from my mother-in-law.
Bronwyn Rykiert
Nov 16, 2010 Bronwyn Rykiert rated it it was amazing
Danni needs a lifestyle change and has decided that she wants to try painting full time, to see if she has a talent for it. After some discussion with her mother Lara she decides to go to Cedartown – a town in the Hunter Valley Region that was the original settlement for her great grandparents Harold and Emily and where her grandmother Elizabeth grew up. When Danni gets there she falls in love with the place, then her mother Lara decides to join her to find out some of her family history, Lara ...more
Tracey
Jul 18, 2013 Tracey rated it did not like it
Nothing to love here for me.

Insipid characters. Slow plot with no real turning point. Clear from the start everyone will live happily ever after.
Ellie-Mae McDonald
Jul 02, 2015 Ellie-Mae McDonald rated it did not like it
Probably the worst, most predictable book I have ever read.
Pamela Lamb
Nov 01, 2013 Pamela Lamb rated it liked it
I picked this book up at the library not expecting to like it because I am always put off by an author being a best seller (it usually means it's rubbish). However, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Plenty of undeveloped characters, pedestrian plots and contrived connections, all of which I expected. But it did trot along at a reasonable pace and Morrissey managed to convey the atmosphere of several different periods of history quite convincingly. She'd obviously done her homework. I ...more
The Cats Mother
This is about Dani, a 30ish divorcee who quits her job as a graphic designer in Sydney and moves to the peaceful valley in New South Wales where her mother was born, to ""find herself"" through becoming a painter. Initially she leaves her 8 year old son Tim behind with her mother, Lara, which I found odd and rather selfish. She befriends a range of local characters and begins to find out more about Isabella Kelly, an infamous landowner of the 1840s. Isabella's story, and that of various other ...more
Donna
Oct 29, 2015 Donna rated it did not like it
Worst book I've ever tried to read. This is the fourth book of Di Morrissey's I've attempted trying to find out why she's considered one of Australia's best authors. I'm sure her research is great but if she can't hold a readers interest what's the point. Don't publishers read authors works after the first book is a success? Seems not because I don't understand how she's managed to have so many published. Would not recommend this author.
Jill
Jul 08, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
Quite the saga. Got a bit of everything. Bit OTT re political correctness but still interesting. Gives some interesting insight into the appalling treatment of women and the indigenous in the early 1900.
The main female character demented me.
Enjoyed the process of searching family history the book contained. Enjoy.
Lisa Rich
Feb 13, 2008 Lisa Rich rated it it was ok
Di Morrissey is an Australian author. Her books aren't too difficult to read and she always writes about a place. The Valley is set in the Australina bush and it is story of an early female pioneer and the troubles she met when establishing her home in the Valley.
Julie
Jul 29, 2016 Julie rated it liked it
I had a hard time reading this book, I usually love Di Morrissey books but found that while I enjoyed certain parts of it, it was a hard slog.
The setting kept me interested enough to keep reading but at the end I wondered if I should have bothered. I was glad to be finished.
Karen Donnellan
Jul 28, 2011 Karen Donnellan rated it really liked it
I recently finished "the silent country" and forgot I had read this a year or two ago. Very good. Very similar to 'the secret river' by Kate Grenville. Character re-discovers her family history. Based in NSW.
Katie Q
Dec 09, 2012 Katie Q rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
This book sucked me in more and more as I got into it. I found the characters intriguing and so incredibly believable that I felt I knew them personally.

The only thing is the ending was so predictable and that spoilt it a bit.
Cindy
Jul 28, 2008 Cindy rated it it was ok
Not as good as the Tears of the Moon series, but interesting in the desires to keep Australia from being over developed.
Robyn Gibson
Jan 17, 2016 Robyn Gibson rated it liked it
A good story. Di writes like a journalist. I can imagine the long list of research she's done for her books. Love books based on real people and places.
Robyn Coyle
Robyn Coyle rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Janet Carter
Janet Carter rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2015
LYN DEVRIES
LYN DEVRIES rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Janet Witt
Janet Witt rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2012
Glenyse Limbrick
Glenyse Limbrick rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Marie Davies
Marie Davies rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2011
Simone Nielsen
Simone Nielsen rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Ms Ru
Ms Ru rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Denise Kalin
Denise Kalin rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Beth
May 21, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
History of the North Coast area. Great read about Australia
Bookfan36
Bookfan36 rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Robyn Brne
Robyn Brne rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Beneath the Southern Cross
  • Moth To The Flame
  • The Cattleman's Daughter
  • Farewell to Lancashire (The Swan River Saga, #1)
  • A Kingdom For The Brave
  • Angel
  • Web of Deceit (Detective Ella Marconi #6)
  • Saving Grace
  • Silver Wattle
  • Losing Kate
Di Morrissey (born 18 March 1948 in Wingham, New South Wales) is one of Australia's most popular female novelists. She grew up in the remote surrounds of Pittwater, north of Sydney, Australia.

Growing up she counted famous Australian actor Chips Rafferty as a close mentor and friend who helped provide for her and her mother after the death of her father as a child, sending them overseas to Californ
More about Di Morrissey...