Start by marking “The Pen Commandments” as Want to Read:
The Pen Commandments

The Pen Commandments

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  12 reviews

ÂÂÂSteven Frank has a new approach to writing: fun first, rules to follow, success for all. In The Pen Commandments, his offbeat and entertaining guide, he's given us a book that all writers can turn to for help and a good laugh.

ÂÂÂWith outrageous anecdotes (howÂa kid's oral surgery led to the ultimate writing assignment) and irreverent advice (Thou Shalt Not Kill Thy Sent

Published September 14th 2004 by Anchor (first published August 5th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Pen Commandments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pen Commandments

Mike Duron
This is a great book for young novice writers. (It may come off as 'cutesy' for an older crowd.)

I would highly recommend this for young people just starting to get serious about writing who are in anything from junior high school to their sophomore year at college. Anything later than that and I would use something else.

This isn't a bad review either. Steven Frank even includes in his title "A Guide for the Beginning Writer." He and Pantheon, the publisher, also include on the cover, "A wise, pl
Steven Frank is an English teacher, and he wrote a book about his experiences. Some chapters were very humorous, while the chapter about essays I did not enjoy. His stories and advice helped out a lot, without having to do separate activities for them. Some situations were a bit exaggerated, which made the advice hard to believe.

This isn’t the typical book that I would review, but never the less, I think I would recommend it to most people who read this blog. It’s more about sharing the love of
Marni
Noticed this at the library the other day. Hooray! A FUN book about writing! Refreshing to come upon something like this and find yourself chuckling your way through. It's written by a high school English teacher, and he reminds me of my sophomore English teacher. A few weeks before Halloween she had us draw a way someone could die out of a pumpkin bucket and write a story around it, then on Halloween with the lights off and a skull lamp glowing on her desk, we read our stories. I've only just b ...more
Emily Dy
Someone gave me a copy of this back when I was in college, and I loved it! It's like Strunk & White learned how to be funny, relatable, and easier to understand.

To the non-writers who need to learn how to write for the sake of getting that grade in Lit class, this is the one for you. (It's a painless way to learn, promise!)

And for those of you who love to write, it makes for a refreshing review.
Claire
This book is nice to review writing. It does its job well. It's not thrilling, but it works.
Salve
This was a gift from a student, and I now see why she wanted to share it. Contrary to the subtitle, it's helpful even for those who fancy themselves old hands in writing. Mr. Frank gives a lot of help in the writing process --- and squeezes in a grammar lesson or two.
Terry
This is one of those books I like but haven't really worked into my teaching. For young writers, it is a readable guide to the basics of serious writing. If money were no object, I'd love to have this to teach from.
Sam
Sep 05, 2007 Sam rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writing lovers.
One of the best, best books I have ever read for beginning writers. It covers everything you need to know in writing well. Taught by a former English teacher, it will make writing so much more clear and fun for you.
Vincent Perez
Haha, I still smile when I think of this book. I begged for this one when I found it in my bookstore (pockets empty). It was a fun, fun read.
Abby
Jul 24, 2007 Abby is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning writers
This is written by a high school English teacher, it's full of funny stuff, and lots of "rah,rah, you can do it"
Joseph
I had to read this for Honors English. I learned a lot about writing and it was fun to read.
Kimberly
It's a funny read. Highly entertaining.
Erinlaurel
Erinlaurel is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2015
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Sijan Karki
Sijan Karki marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Nisij
Nisij added it
Nov 13, 2014
Kim
Kim added it
Aug 05, 2014
Bryan Neuschwander
Bryan Neuschwander marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Ll
Ll added it
Apr 22, 2014
Jennelle Henderson
Jennelle Henderson marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
How to Count (Programming for Mere Mortals, #1) The Pen Commandments The Everything Study Book; Everything you need to know to get great grades without spending all your time in the library Speed Reading Secrets (The Backpack Study Series) Dennis Rodman (NBA)(Oop)