Start by marking “Debt-Proof Living: The Complete Guide to Living Financially Free” as Want to Read:
Debt-Proof Living: The Complete Guide to Living Financially Free

Debt-Proof Living: The Complete Guide to Living Financially Free

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Getting out of debt is only part of the plan. The reader learns how to give, save and build wealth using the Contingency Plan and Freedom Account along with the authors sound and proven principles.
Published October 1st 2005 by DPL Press (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Debt-Proof Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Debt-Proof Living

Stephanie
I got the chance to listen to Mary Hunt at a conference and really enjoyed what she had to say.

Debt-Proof Living is hardly earthshaking; it's mostly like any other personal finance book in terms of what it has to say. Spend less than you bring in. Avoid debt like the plague. Give. Save and invest. Have a plan.

I do think this book offers some interesting ideas in one or two areas in particular: Mary has spent much of her career compiling and trying out ways of saving money. (She gained her reputa
Alison
I read this after I had pretty much solved my debt problem, and I think reading it last out of the three I looked into was best; it gave more solid practical advice, and my favourite tip was that you should donate (she recommends 10% of your after-tax income). Oh, actually, I think the *very best* tip she gave was to make a "Freedom Account" where you allocate money every month to the predictable surprise expenditures that hit you. She also hits on some investment info at the end of the book, so ...more
Sharon
Mary Hunt delightfully encourages her readers to give and save their money plus reduce their debt completely. She diligently reiterates her tips in ways that are easily understood, well defined, and lightly salted with humor. She knows her business since she has been in serious debt herself which is a consolation to anyone reading her book. Her plans sound very reasonable and she includes responses from people who have used them and succeeded. She explains financial terms with detail so the newe ...more
Mardell
I received a copy of Debt-Proof Living: How to Get Out of Debt and Stay That Way by Mary Hunt from Revell Publishers to review this month. It is a very informative book that was updated this year from the 1999 version. It is hard to believe but our world has changed so much in these few short years. More people, more debt, more toys and so many things that are designed to be thrown away make increasing demands on our incomes. The average college graduate is so encumbered with debt by the time th ...more
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
I first read Debt-Proof Living back in 1999 when it was originally published. I gained tools to not only manage our debt but ultimately it helped our family get completely out of debt. So why would I go back and read a book that I had already read? The simple answer is that our economic times have changed and with it our personal finances. I desperately needed a refresher course on all things related to debt-free living.

I was pleasantly surprised by this newly updated version of the original boo
Jennifer Clausen-greene
Mary does a wonderful job really breaking down financial terms and giving us examples of them in practical applications. I think the most important thing a person needs to learn about debt proof living is knowing how interest rates affect your overall balances and Mary did a wonderful job explaining this concept. We live in a world where our 18 year old mini adults that have just left the nest and going off to live on their own for college for the first time are practically handed a credit card ...more
Victor Gentile
Mary Hunt in her new book, “Debt-Proof Living” published by Revell shows us How to Get Out of Debt & Stay That Way.

From the back cover: Mortgages, credit card balances, student loans, car loans, and home improvement loans have become a way of life for the majority of us. And debt is putting not only our present at risk as we live paycheck to paycheck, but our futures in jeopardy as shockingly few of us have enough put away for retirement. Personal financial expert Mary Hunt wants readers to
Ginger Barber
Overtime, most of us acquire debt. For most of us, it is student loans, credit card debt, and mortgages. Then there are those like my husband and I that did the stupid not pay the bill debt that we are now trying to pay off. We live paycheck to paycheck. We don’t have a savings account. We want to get out of debt. So, I turned to Debt-Proof Living, by Mary Hunt.

Debt-Proof Living is a GREAT resource on what the different types of debt are, and how to overcome them. Mary in chapter 13, explains th
Sue
I was fortunate enough to have received an advanced copy of this book to review, and when I opened it I realised its an update of a book I already own!
Mary Hunt offers the reader strategies for getting out of debt and creating a financial plan that helps to keep you out of debt. As with most good personal finance books, the first step is to admit you have a problem and to see figure out how big a problem you have, then start to use the information to start the journey to a sensible debt level.
Th
Marie
"Debt-Proof Living" by Mary Hunt is a book that is about getting out of debt and investing. Now if you notice I did not say its about staying out of debt, that is one of my big issues with this book. She talks about getting out debt and says we should stay of it but then in one chapter she talks about how to keep a good credit score. If the main portion is getting out of debt then why do we care what our debt score is. Overall I still did not like this book, it seemed like a book that was rehash ...more
Jalynn Patterson
About the Book:

Your fool-proof guide to paying off debt, planning for the future, and breaking free of our debt-loving culture.

About the Author:

Mary Hunt is the award-winning and bestselling author of more than 23 books, as well as a sought-after motivational speaker who helps men and women battle debt. She is founder and publisher of Debt-Proof Living, a highly regarded and popular consumer organization consisting of an interactive website, monthly newsletter and personal finance tools. Hunt's
Title: DEBT-PROOF LIVING
Author: Mary Hunt
Publisher: Revell Books
August 2014
ISBN: 978-0800721459
Genre: Nonfiction / Money issues

Mortgages, credit card balances, student loans, car loans, and home improvement loans have become a way of life for the majority of us. And debt is putting not only our present at risk as we live paycheck to paycheck, but our futures in jeopardy as shockingly few of us have enough put away for retirement. Personal financial expert Mary Hunt wants readers to embrace the
Beth
I was pretty excited to see that this was available through NetGalley – even though I own an older edition in print that I have yet to read. While the fundamentals of debt-proof living don’t change, Mary has very, very slightly modified her advice on some of the topics listed in the books (like annual fees on charge cards) since the last time she wrote, so it will be interesting to go to back to my print version for reference and see what all has changed.

While I found Dave Ramsey’s approach to
Tracy
Can you read this too often? Probably not, especially with today's economy.
Erin Plank
this is a book everyone should read!
Rebecca Thompson
Solid financial advice that provides a decent alternative to the Dave Ramsey plan that seems to have taken over the world. Hunt recommends a 10-10-80 approach to finances, where you give 10%, save 10%, and live on the remaining 80% of your net pay. She suggests first funding a $10k contingency fund, then saving toward other goals. She also gives solid information on various aspects of your financial life, including credit cards, credit score, mortgages, and student loan debt.
Nidia
I read this book for the first time about 3 or 4 years ago and I revisit it often. This is an excellent book to help you develop a plan to get out of debt and take control of your personal finances. Very reminiscent of Dave Ramsey's approach but not as "strict" in the sense that Mary's plan allows for funding an emergency fund while simultaneously paying off debt and she suggests that one credit card handled responsibly is actually convenient to have while Dave's plan does not allow for either. ...more
Amy
Devin went through a phase where he thought we should really learn more about how to manage our finances, so he checked this and a few other similar books out of the library. He never read any of them. So I did. This one was by far the best. It was the most interesting, had the most real life, real person application, and was the easiest to understand. Whether you are in debt, or just looking to understand how to manage your money, this is a good book.
Anna
I learned so much from this book! I read it in 2 days! Mary Hunt had some amazing ideas on how to get your debts down fast and easy but also to keep from ever being in debt again. I am so excited for this new month to start so I can start a lot of her ideas. She gave me a rude awakening of how money is not for spending, it is for managing first. Definitely recommend this book for any one seeking advice about their finances.
Sara
Provides practical advice from a Christian perspective on becoming and living debt-free. Phil and I have just started putting into practice some of the practices she recommends, such as a Rapid Debt-Repayment Plan, and it's wonderful to see when we will become debt-free and how we can remain from being held captive by creditors.
Hatz0011
Very valuable information and strategies to getting out of debt. I didn't agree with everything (ex. debit cards) but I really appreciated the insights from this book as a way to continue getting debt free.
Marla
Jan 26, 2008 Marla rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that needs help with finacial debt
Recommended to Marla by: Whomever shelved it wrong
Shelves: reference
Another good book with good ideas on how to get and stay out of debt. I found it in the finacial section at my bookstore but it should have been shelved in the religious section - I would have never found it there! I was looking for easy books to read and understand and found this one to be that.
Heather
Feb 28, 2008 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all homemakers
I have really enjoyed reading this book. She has motivated me to change the way I manage my money (and I thought I already knew everything about budgeting, etc.) I am really learning a lot and it is a fast easy read. Mary Hunt has lots of great books that I am planning to read.
Kasi Beorchia
I like financial books, and I especially love what Mary has to say. I think this is a great book for everyone looking to tighten up their finances a bit! She has some excellent ideas that can be put to use immediately.
J

Mrs. Hunt gives practical ways to reduce the spending and stress of the Christmas season. The ideas for homemade gifts and decorations alone are worth the price of the book.

Recommended for public libraries.

Annalee
Jun 21, 2007 Annalee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those aspiring to fiscal responsibility
Shelves: nonfiction
Mary has some great ideas...and she realistically calms fears and gives hope for the future, regardless of your current financial state.

I've been "phasing in" a lot of her ideas with great success!
Tim Stanley
Well worth the read---we adjusted several practices based on Mary's thoughts and recommendations. (We certainly aren't debt-proof yet, maybe debt-resistant ... )
Sheree
This is a great book for anyone who is in debt. It also introduces the Rapid Debt Repayment PLan that will help you pay off your debt faster.
Julia
Jun 18, 2007 Julia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This has been a great help in organizing our financial lives. She's really down to earth and makes living within your paycheck possible.
  • Pay It Down!: From Debt to Wealth on $10 a Day
  • The Road to Wealth: A Comprehensive Guide to Your Money
  • Debt Free Living
  • The Complete Tightwad  Gazette
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence
  • Unlimited Wealth: The Theory and Practice of Economic Alchemy
  • Making Peace with the Things in Your Life: Why Your Papers, Books, Clothes, and Other Possessions Keep Overwhelming You and What to Do About It
  • How to Survive Without a Salary: Learning How to Live the Conserver Lifestyle
  • Surprised by Truth 2: 15 Men and Women Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons For Becoming Catholic
  • Clutter's Last Stand: It's Time to de-Junk Your Life!
  • Loopholes of the Rich: How the Rich Legally Make More Money and Pay Less Tax
  • How to Get Out of Debt, Stay Out of Debt, and Live Prosperously: Based on the Proven Principles and Techniques of Debtors Anonymous
  • Once Upon a Time: Discovering Our Forever After Story
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff About Money
  • Die Broke: A Radical Four-Part Financial Plan
  • Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul
  • The History of Underclothes
Live Your Life for Half the Price: Without Sacrificing the Life You Love (Debt-Proof Living) Debt-Proof Your Marriage: How to Achieve Financial Harmony The Complete Cheapskate: How to Get Out of Debt, Stay Out, and Break Free from Money Worries Forever Raising Financially Confident Kids Cheaper, Better, Faster: Over 2,000 Tips and Tricks to Save You Time and Money Every Day

“Giving in its purest form is done with a heart that says I wish it were more, and I expect nothing in return.” 0 likes
“Debt requires you to transfer your future wealth to your creditors.” 0 likes