Start by marking “Debt-Proof Living: The Complete Guide to Living Financially Free” as Want to Read:
Debt-Proof Living: The Complete Guide to Living Financially Free

Debt-Proof Living: The Complete Guide to Living Financially Free

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  256 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Getting out of debt is only part of the plan. The reader learns how to give, save and build wealth using the Contingency Plan and Freedom Account along with the authors sound and proven principles.
Published October 1st 2005 by DPL Press (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Debt-Proof Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Debt-Proof Living

Stephanie
Feb 11, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I got the chance to listen to Mary Hunt at a conference and really enjoyed what she had to say.

Debt-Proof Living is hardly earthshaking; it's mostly like any other personal finance book in terms of what it has to say. Spend less than you bring in. Avoid debt like the plague. Give. Save and invest. Have a plan.

I do think this book offers some interesting ideas in one or two areas in particular: Mary has spent much of her career compiling and trying out ways of saving money. (She gained her reputa
Alison
Jan 19, 2012 Alison rated it really liked it
I read this after I had pretty much solved my debt problem, and I think reading it last out of the three I looked into was best; it gave more solid practical advice, and my favourite tip was that you should donate (she recommends 10% of your after-tax income). Oh, actually, I think the *very best* tip she gave was to make a "Freedom Account" where you allocate money every month to the predictable surprise expenditures that hit you. She also hits on some investment info at the end of the book, so ...more
Tonya
Jul 22, 2015 Tonya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Mortgages, credit card balances, student loans, car loans, and home improvement loans have become a way of life for the majority of us. And debt is putting not only our present at risk as we live paycheck to paycheck, but our futures in jeopardy as shockingly few of us have enough put away for retirement. Personal financial expert Mary Hunt wants readers to embrace the radical but simple truth that they don't need more credit or more stuff--that they can live their lives debt-free.
In her classi
Sharon
Aug 23, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Hunt delightfully encourages her readers to give and save their money plus reduce their debt completely. She diligently reiterates her tips in ways that are easily understood, well defined, and lightly salted with humor. She knows her business since she has been in serious debt herself which is a consolation to anyone reading her book. Her plans sound very reasonable and she includes responses from people who have used them and succeeded. She explains financial terms with detail so the newe ...more
Mardell
Aug 15, 2014 Mardell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of Debt-Proof Living: How to Get Out of Debt and Stay That Way by Mary Hunt from Revell Publishers to review this month. It is a very informative book that was updated this year from the 1999 version. It is hard to believe but our world has changed so much in these few short years. More people, more debt, more toys and so many things that are designed to be thrown away make increasing demands on our incomes. The average college graduate is so encumbered with debt by the time th ...more
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
I first read Debt-Proof Living back in 1999 when it was originally published. I gained tools to not only manage our debt but ultimately it helped our family get completely out of debt. So why would I go back and read a book that I had already read? The simple answer is that our economic times have changed and with it our personal finances. I desperately needed a refresher course on all things related to debt-free living.

I was pleasantly surprised by this newly updated version of the original boo
Jalynn Patterson
About the Book:

Your fool-proof guide to paying off debt, planning for the future, and breaking free of our debt-loving culture.

About the Author:

Mary Hunt is the award-winning and bestselling author of more than 23 books, as well as a sought-after motivational speaker who helps men and women battle debt. She is founder and publisher of Debt-Proof Living, a highly regarded and popular consumer organization consisting of an interactive website, monthly newsletter and personal finance tools. Hunt's
Jennifer Clausen-greene
Jul 30, 2014 Jennifer Clausen-greene rated it really liked it
Mary does a wonderful job really breaking down financial terms and giving us examples of them in practical applications. I think the most important thing a person needs to learn about debt proof living is knowing how interest rates affect your overall balances and Mary did a wonderful job explaining this concept. We live in a world where our 18 year old mini adults that have just left the nest and going off to live on their own for college for the first time are practically handed a credit card ...more
Victor Gentile
Aug 09, 2014 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary Hunt in her new book, “Debt-Proof Living” published by Revell shows us How to Get Out of Debt & Stay That Way.

From the back cover: Mortgages, credit card balances, student loans, car loans, and home improvement loans have become a way of life for the majority of us. And debt is putting not only our present at risk as we live paycheck to paycheck, but our futures in jeopardy as shockingly few of us have enough put away for retirement. Personal financial expert Mary Hunt wants readers to
Ginger
Aug 15, 2014 Ginger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overtime, most of us acquire debt. For most of us, it is student loans, credit card debt, and mortgages. Then there are those like my husband and I that did the stupid not pay the bill debt that we are now trying to pay off. We live paycheck to paycheck. We don’t have a savings account. We want to get out of debt. So, I turned to Debt-Proof Living, by Mary Hunt.

Debt-Proof Living is a GREAT resource on what the different types of debt are, and how to overcome them. Mary in chapter 13, explains th
Sue
Jul 27, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
I was fortunate enough to have received an advanced copy of this book to review, and when I opened it I realised its an update of a book I already own!
Mary Hunt offers the reader strategies for getting out of debt and creating a financial plan that helps to keep you out of debt. As with most good personal finance books, the first step is to admit you have a problem and to see figure out how big a problem you have, then start to use the information to start the journey to a sensible debt level.
Th
Mariejkt
Aug 03, 2014 Mariejkt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Debt-Proof Living" by Mary Hunt is a book that is about getting out of debt and investing. Now if you notice I did not say its about staying out of debt, that is one of my big issues with this book. She talks about getting out debt and says we should stay of it but then in one chapter she talks about how to keep a good credit score. If the main portion is getting out of debt then why do we care what our debt score is. Overall I still did not like this book, it seemed like a book that was rehash ...more
Martas
May 13, 2015 Martas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's the thing. If in any way I knew this was going to be the "the Christians guide to.." I would never have picked up the book. I found her numerous references to God off putting. Last I checked God neither paid my bills nor went shopping with me at Sephora. That isn't to say that she didn't have great ideas (freedom account is SO smart!). But I can't possibly give away 10% of my monthly income bc then what would I eat? Who would pay the bills, etc? I found that to be an unreasonable request ...more
Jul 29, 2014 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ISBN: 978-0800721459
Genre: Nonfiction / Money issues

Beth
Sep 10, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
I was pretty excited to see that this was available through NetGalley – even though I own an older edition in print that I have yet to read. While the fundamentals of debt-proof living don’t change, Mary has very, very slightly modified her advice on some of the topics listed in the books (like annual fees on charge cards) since the last time she wrote, so it will be interesting to go to back to my print version for reference and see what all has changed.

While I found Dave Ramsey’s approach to
Tracy
Nov 26, 2008 Tracy rated it really liked it
Can you read this too often? Probably not, especially with today's economy.
Erin Plank
Mar 14, 2011 Erin Plank rated it really liked it
this is a book everyone should read!
Rebecca Thompson
Jul 31, 2014 Rebecca Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Solid financial advice that provides a decent alternative to the Dave Ramsey plan that seems to have taken over the world. Hunt recommends a 10-10-80 approach to finances, where you give 10%, save 10%, and live on the remaining 80% of your net pay. She suggests first funding a $10k contingency fund, then saving toward other goals. She also gives solid information on various aspects of your financial life, including credit cards, credit score, mortgages, and student loan debt.
Lauren RM
Apr 16, 2015 Lauren RM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up on a whim from the library. Easy to understand action plan that looks sensible for getting out of debt and building stable finances. It reads like you're getting advice from an aunt who is funny, no nonsense, well read on the matter, and has been in your shoes, which I really enjoyed.
Nidia
Jul 03, 2011 Nidia rated it really liked it
I read this book for the first time about 3 or 4 years ago and I revisit it often. This is an excellent book to help you develop a plan to get out of debt and take control of your personal finances. Very reminiscent of Dave Ramsey's approach but not as "strict" in the sense that Mary's plan allows for funding an emergency fund while simultaneously paying off debt and she suggests that one credit card handled responsibly is actually convenient to have while Dave's plan does not allow for either. ...more
Nf
Apr 12, 2015 Nf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Mary Hunt, love her advice. If u follow it, it works. Her blog is great too.
Nyx Cole
Feb 02, 2016 Nyx Cole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Decent, helpful in its own fashion, though for me not helpful in the areas that I was looking for.
A.
Jul 08, 2012 A. rated it really liked it
Devin went through a phase where he thought we should really learn more about how to manage our finances, so he checked this and a few other similar books out of the library. He never read any of them. So I did. This one was by far the best. It was the most interesting, had the most real life, real person application, and was the easiest to understand. Whether you are in debt, or just looking to understand how to manage your money, this is a good book.
Anna
Feb 26, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it
I learned so much from this book! I read it in 2 days! Mary Hunt had some amazing ideas on how to get your debts down fast and easy but also to keep from ever being in debt again. I am so excited for this new month to start so I can start a lot of her ideas. She gave me a rude awakening of how money is not for spending, it is for managing first. Definitely recommend this book for any one seeking advice about their finances.
Sara
Oct 21, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Provides practical advice from a Christian perspective on becoming and living debt-free. Phil and I have just started putting into practice some of the practices she recommends, such as a Rapid Debt-Repayment Plan, and it's wonderful to see when we will become debt-free and how we can remain from being held captive by creditors.
Kelly
Oct 28, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: need-to-buy
Very valuable information and strategies to getting out of debt. I didn't agree with everything (ex. debit cards) but I really appreciated the insights from this book as a way to continue getting debt free.
Marla
Jan 26, 2008 Marla rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone that needs help with finacial debt
Recommended to Marla by: Whomever shelved it wrong
Shelves: reference
Another good book with good ideas on how to get and stay out of debt. I found it in the finacial section at my bookstore but it should have been shelved in the religious section - I would have never found it there! I was looking for easy books to read and understand and found this one to be that.
Heather
Feb 28, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all homemakers
I have really enjoyed reading this book. She has motivated me to change the way I manage my money (and I thought I already knew everything about budgeting, etc.) I am really learning a lot and it is a fast easy read. Mary Hunt has lots of great books that I am planning to read.
Kasi Beorchia
Sep 23, 2009 Kasi Beorchia rated it it was amazing
I like financial books, and I especially love what Mary has to say. I think this is a great book for everyone looking to tighten up their finances a bit! She has some excellent ideas that can be put to use immediately.
Joan
Nov 28, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it

Mrs. Hunt gives practical ways to reduce the spending and stress of the Christmas season. The ideas for homemade gifts and decorations alone are worth the price of the book.

Recommended for public libraries.

• Pay It Down!: From Debt to Wealth on $10 a Day
  • The Road to Wealth: A Comprehensive Guide to Your Money
  • The Complete Tightwad  Gazette
  • Surviving a Spiritual Mismatch in Marriage
  • How to Get Out of Debt, Stay Out of Debt, and Live Prosperously: Based on the Proven Principles and Techniques of Debtors Anonymous
  • Missed Fortune 101: A Starter Kit to Becoming a Millionaire
  • Complete Financial Guide For Young Couples
  • Die Broke: A Radical Four-Part Financial Plan
  • Medjugorje The Message
  • Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy
  • Fresh Air: What Happens When You Discover the Powerful Secrets of a God-Breathed Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff About Money
  • How to Survive Without a Salary: Learning How to Live the Conserver Lifestyle
  • Servant Leader
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Surprised by Truth 2: 15 Men and Women Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons For Becoming Catholic
  • Unlimited Wealth: The Theory and Practice of Economic Alchemy
  • The History of Underclothes

“Giving in its purest form is done with a heart that says I wish it were more, and I expect nothing in return.” 1 likes
“Debt requires you to transfer your future wealth to your creditors.” 1 likes