Start by marking “The World According To Mimi Smartypants” as Want to Read:
The World According To Mimi Smartypants

The World According To Mimi Smartypants

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  49 reviews

Just who is this Mimi Smartypants, anyway?

She's 30 (but looks younger), 5'1" (but looks taler). She's never faced a situation she couldn't comment about -- especialy online! She lives in Chicago with her husband, LT, and her large cat, The Cat -- not to be confused with Kat (female friend, good for fashion advice, philosophical discussions, and getting into trouble in

Published (first published August 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The World According To Mimi Smartypants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World According To Mimi Smartypants

ba
This book is basically an archive of excerpts from the blog at smartypants.diaryland.com, which is one of the most popular personal blogs, and one which I've been compulsively reading for years. Does it work as a book? I dunno; Kind of. I actually bought it for two reasons. Firstly as a historical document. I think in even a few short years, we're going to forget what was so cool about blogging, just like it's hard to explain why Ham radio was so cool, now that everyone has a cell phone. And B, ...more
Mel
Aug 02, 2007 Mel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who kvetch
Shelves: comedy
Before I read Mimi's views on the world, I thought I was alone! She has a wry sense of humor and a quirky view on the world at large.

My views on religion may differ from hers, but that didn't keep me for enjoying her lists, links and life as she interprets it.

Since reading this book, I have been following her online diary and laughing til I pee a little. I have also started a live journal of my own for venting, and a public blog for standing on a soap box before the world at large.

(Mimi, who r
Badmoodbear
I reread this book because after 'One good turn' i needed something not so complex with all the characters.
I like diaries because of the everyday observations. Sometimes i wish i wasnt so lazy to document the crazies on my train every morning etc.
I like the words in this book too. That makes no sense - like why i like the words in this book more than others. But i do.
Jeremy Preacher
I've been reading Mimi for years (since around when this book deal went through, actually) and the book does a reasonable job of capturing her wacky non-linear style. It's edited pretty heavily - each "day" is a neat little anecdote rather than her usual "here are twelve things I thought about recently" and the daily diary format is palpably fake, but I laughed pretty hard at quite a few things.

It's not bad, and it's a quick read. But, you know, it's Mimi Smartypants - her diary is still around,
Poppy
Hilarious. Read it on plane rides to and from Vegas. I'm telling you, you just haven't experienced Vegas until you've Mimi Smartypants-ified yourself. I mean, you look over at the casinos as your plane taxis up the runway, and you think, "I wish I knew what Mimi would make of Vegas." So get on that, Mimi Smartypants, OK?
Slayermel
Feb 26, 2009 Slayermel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women,
Recommended to Slayermel by: Jamie Laird
This has got to be one of the funniest books I have read in a long time. It's a bunch of diary entries from a blogger named Mimi Smartypants. It's a quick fun read, with really no purpose behind it other then her sharing her views with us.
I think I found this book so entertaining because she reminds me so much of my close friends and myself. The things she says and thinks about, and some of the crazy stuff she comes up with. :0)
I laughed out loud so many times!!!
Meg
Jan 16, 2008 Meg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: memoirs
I'm a bit biased as I know Mimi, but she's just hilarious and witty. This is especially fun if you're a Chicagoan or a Knoxer.
Susan Bazzett-griffith
I finally ordered this book (from Better World Books) because I've been wanting to read it for about a decade now. I liked it very much, but I'd read all of it before, back when I, like Mimi, had an online journal on diaryland (we were actually on each other's buddy lists there for a couple of years). I wish I could say I still read her writing every day, because it is always funny and entertaining, often with awesomely obscure links and such, but sometime around 2003, I stopped. Reading this bo ...more
Dec 01, 2007 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Krystal and Mom
This isn't something you have to sit and read and "find out what happens" - it is just a diary, snippits you can read a few minutes at a time. I am amazed at the weird ass things Mimi says that are JUST LIKE THE WEIRD ASS THINGS I SAY! Stupid things like "snot rag" - my mom and brother still carry those, and I'm fascinated that she calls it that too. I actually read several days entries to the hubby, who thought they were just as funny as I did (one in particular about bed time and "I thought we ...more
Richard Magahiz
Jun 04, 2013 Richard Magahiz rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mimi's fans
This blog turned book comes from around the same time as Julie and Julia but it neither tries to organize itself according to some overarching principle nor takes such a horrifying turn, memoir-fashion, but meanders in its own obsessive way. It's an odd memento from a time not that different from the present, with the political and economic scenes making scarcely a ripple in the hyperfocus of her attention on the mundane. She did not set out to make great art but it's comforting in its own way i ...more
Alison
I already read the blog this book comes from, but I had no idea she had a book until a month ago. Mimi Smartypants is smart, opinionated, funny, and assertive. She is a lot of things I'm not and would (secretly) like to be. The only downside is that this is truly a diary and not fiction or a memoir--meaning that there is NO plot whatsoever to this book. It's not building toward anything. Nothing really happens in the book (she's already married, and has a good job, etc. etc.) but I had a great t ...more
Ariel
Nov 06, 2007 Ariel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bloggers, aging punks, chicagoans, cynics, OCD suffers, lovers of fine ascerbic wits and wines
Mimi can talk down her book all she wants ("Embarrassing!" seems to be her most frequent response to being an author), but this book is funny and inspiring. Mimi always encourages me to take my own humor writing over the edge of absurdism. The true magic in her writing is that she takes a joke farther, and farther, and just when you're like "Oh ha ha -- way to take it there!" she takes it a half step farther and you're all "Oh oops, I peed myself."

I'm knocking off a star only because this isn't
Amanda
I was expecting this to be somewhat more entertaining, per say. I think I had in my mind a "Sex and the City" narration, or even a "Julie/Julia"... however this seems to be exactly what it is, a random woman's thoughts that are somewhat jumbled, uninteresting and mundane.

I struggled to finish it and only did so for two reasons, I wanted to see if it got any better (it didn't) and I hate starting a book and not finishing it.

I wouldn't exactly recommend this book but if you're someone who used to
Liddy Barlow
This book is the paperback equivalent of my favorite gummy bears from Fresh Market: it is full of empty calories, but it's so delicious you can't stop. Mimi Smartypants is a blogger from Chicago, and this plotless book is a collection of some of her wittiest entries. I checked it out of the library after a librarian, seeing me growing increasingly frustrated with a fruitless browse, thrust it into my hands and told me it would make it laugh. And it did, over and over again. Nothing wrong with gu ...more
Ann
My good friend Rachel gave me this to read. Very easy, mindless read. The only thing I took issue with is having things that I though were unique to me written in a book by a blogger in Chicago. Seriously - her favorite bar, flower, foot-wear, music. Now I understand that she and I both have named our daughters the same name. Maybe I am mimi smartypants.Thanks Rach!
Aubrey
I found this book hugely entertaining and frequently hilarious. I haven't picked it up in...Holy crap, six years?! OK, apparently six years, but I can still recall specific passages like "inexplicable absence of dead bird!" and the bit about the "monkey shop." That's more than I can say about a lot of other books I've read in the interim.
Kellie
Needed something light to read after The Hunger Games, and this fit the bill. Had just picked it up for a buck at the library book sale.

Done in diary/journal format, it was easy and quick and made me laugh out loud a lot. Reminded me a bit of the Laurie Notaro books. Mimi and her husband must have a lot of fun together, that's all I'm saying.
Ashley (cnthrdlywt2bwz)
I found this book hilarious at times and had to stop myself from laughing out loud in public for fear of people thinking I am insane. While it's not great writing, mostly because it is a collection of her blog entries, her take on Chicago was appreciated and she had some funny stories that I could relate to. Good for a quick giggle-fix.
Bill Johnson
I picked this up in Singapore, and it started me reading the only blog I have ever stuck with on the internet. I find Mimi's comments inviting, refreshing and amazingly close to my feelings. I even joined goodreads because of MiMi. I only rated it 3 stars because of the disjointed feeling I t reading a edited blg.
Carrie
This is just some of Mimi Smartypants' earlier blog postings in book form. I love Mimi, she's the kind of cool that I always wished I could be. It doesn't exactly have a plot, it's just her random thoughts, but it's funny. I would recommend just reading her blog, though. It's better.
I found this book hard to read at times. It's main set up is like a so so blog. If you like reading blogs, which I have a couple of my own, this is the only way I see you wanting to read this book. If you are not a blog reader, this book is not for you.
Traci
I love her blog. I would never read this book if I saw it on a shelf. The publishers did a real disservice to her, but on the other hand, they contacted her and said, hey can we print your blog? We will give you money. And so naturally she said yes.
Julian
Mimi is my favorite blogger ever and this is a collection of her first few years of entries. Some of the earliest entries are not the best but I still love this too much to not give it 5 stars. Don't judge this by its awful chick-lit cover!
Jen
Sep 04, 2007 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy Sedaris (either David or Amy.)
This is basically just the dead-tree encapsulation of some of her standout diary entries from smartypants.diaryland.com - but she's got a smart, witty voice and a knack for everyday observation that I quite enjoy. It's a fun, quick read.
Erin
Reads like diary (blog?) entries. It made me laugh out loud several times. Based solely upon reading this book, I get the sense that Mimi Smartypants and I would get along well if we met in person.
Brittany Holt
I'm sitting alone in my apartment reading this little book and LAUGHING OUT LOUD. Totally embarassing but totally wonderful. Don't walk, RUN to your nearest bookstore and PURCHASE this book.
Curlita
I love her web site primarily for her irreverent tales from the parenting trenches -- but her irreverent tales about ANYTHING are pretty damn funny, too. This books is no exception. Fun, light read.
Bridget
This book is a collection of blogs written on Diaryland by Mimi Smartypants. She is hilarious! She still updates the Diaryland blog a few times a month - worth your time to check it out!
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
I can't count how many times I was laughing out loud while reading this book. The things that run through this womans mind will never cease to shock you! She really is hilarious!
Katie
I just could not get into this (yes, i know it is just snipits from a blog). I think I like taking in Mimi's humor in smaller doses by reading her blog occassionaly.
  • I'm Not the New Me
  • Touch Me, I'm Sick: The 52 Creepiest Love Songs You've Ever Heard
  • After the Rice
  • Playboy's Silverstein Around the World
  • The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab
  • A Field Guide to Awkward Silences
  • Knight's Fork (God Princes of Tigron, #3)
  • Tender Is The Knight
  • The Wholesome Baby Food Guide: Over 150 Easy, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes from Purees to Solids
  • Hexcraft: Dutch Country Magick
  • Awkward: A Survival Guide for When All You Can Do Is Cringe
  • The Day I Wore My Panties Inside Out
  • Kockroach
  • Dirty Sugar Cookies: Culinary Observations, Questionable Taste
  • The Year of Yes
  • The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature: The Collected Writings of Neal Pollack
  • The Pregnancy Countdown Book
  • Mommy Laid An Egg: Or, Where Do Babies Come From?