Start by marking “12 Fabulously Funny Fairy Tale Plays” as Want to Read:
12 Fabulously Funny Fairy Tale Plays

12 Fabulously Funny Fairy Tale Plays

Students will have oodles of fun building essential reading skills with rib-tickling versions of beloved fairy tales turned into read-aloud plays! Even your most reluctant readers won’t be able to resist these hilarious twists on their favorite tales— Spiderella, Goldilocks and the Three Bullfrogs, The Popsicle Boy, Little Late Riding Hood, The Cheetah and the Sloth, Rafun ...more
Published February 1st 2002 by Teaching Resources

To ask other readers questions about 12 Fabulously Funny Fairy Tale Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 12 Fabulously Funny Fairy Tale Plays

Greg
Mar 18, 2014 Greg rated it liked it
The 12 fabulously funny fairy tale plays is a book written by Justin McCory Martin, that adapts twelve famous fairy tales into plays. They are also adapted thematically with the author making the fairy tales more current and fun. For example, the three little elephants is a twist on the three little pigs where the elephants are being chased from house to house by a mouse who they are afraid of. The book is aimed at key stage 2 and would be good to use for a variety of lessons. For instance, its ...more
Charlotte
Jan 22, 2015 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Shelves: theater
12 Fabulously Funny Fairy Tale Plays contains some of my favorite short plays for children. As far as children’s plays go, the collection written by Justin McCory Martin is quite good. The plays are written with enough wit and humor that children will love them, and adults will be able to enjoy them as well. I love the versatility of the plays; one could easily use them for reader’s theater, puppet shows, or an actual full-blown play. It would be very simple to adapt the majority of the plays to ...more
Katelyn Youngblood
Oct 02, 2014 Katelyn Youngblood rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
How much fun can one book possibly offer? A ton! The answer is a ton! This book provides nothing less than a good time and a way to let your imagination explore. I love how many options there are to choose from of children's plays that anyone can act out. What better way to entertain children than through a skit? Or, have children act them out as well! Each of these plays provide ways for children to use their imagination and learn alternate versions of original fairy tale stories. I also love h ...more
Lexi
Oct 02, 2014 Lexi rated it liked it
Each play was very cute in the liberties it took adapting different fairy tales, and I like that. It also gives children a fun way to be introduced into theater and acting. But what I didn't like about it was that each play ended happy. I know that it is for children, however it lacks some of the truly human aspects that the original stories have as well as the human aspects of theater, since there almost seems to be no consequences for the characters' actions in these plays. Other than that tho ...more
Kayla Bennett
Oct 02, 2014 Kayla Bennett rated it really liked it
This was a really fun book that gave a different perspective on the different old time fairy tales that we grow up with. My favorite one was "The Three Elephants and the Mouse." I love that there are more than one character so that children can take turns being involved more and it creates a fun thing for the children to do together and build relationships with each other. The plays were just the right size for the age group and lets the children act how they want to and not by a special script.
Janette
Jan 22, 2015 Janette rated it really liked it
This book was such a fun joy to read! I loved that it was about retold fairy tales, and I loved the theatre style. There's just something fun about reading a play with fun new stories about fairy tales we already know. I also really liked that at the end of each fairy tale it had factual information as well as fun, creative ideas to get the children involved. I think the mini plays are simple enough that a young class could dress up and perform them and really enjoy it.
Jessica
Jan 22, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: 06-theater
This book is a prepared set of plays for classrooms to use, including a helpful teacher page for lessons. The lines are ready to read straight from the book to have fun and creativity with. The plays are fractured fairytales, which are fun twists off of the classic fairy tales that all students would know! The are silly and fun; the students would have a great time without realizing they are practicing there stage performance reading.
Alexis Priestley
Oct 02, 2014 Alexis Priestley rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I have always loved theater and I was heavily involved in the performing arts for the elementary schools in high school. The children I worked with would have LOVED using this book. It was creative, funny and extremely cute! I would definitely recommend this theater book to anyone who is looking to do skits for their class, kids or siblings!
Ashley Loosle
Oct 07, 2014 Ashley Loosle rated it it was ok
To me this book was just okay. It wasn't really anything special to me but it wasn't bad. Some stories were better than others. I really like how they are just silly and I think kids would love that. However, it might have been just a little to cheesy and predictable to me. I'm sure it would be good for really small kids. Like I said, I don't love it but I don't hate it.
Abby Clark
Jan 26, 2015 Abby Clark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theater
This is a great collection of many plays that are known and are popular to children. Each of the stories are entertaining. Each of the plays includes a short history of the original story, so that the students can learn about the story before they read it. This is a good book for any age of students.
Rachel Escobar
Jan 22, 2015 Rachel Escobar rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading all these different versions of fairytales and even found myself literally laughing out loud to a lot of them. I found that they would be excellent ways to incorporate theater into a classroom ad would be really fun to act out. I am not usually one who like theater related things, but I really enjoyed my time when reading these funny fairytales.
Emily Mckinnon
Oct 02, 2014 Emily Mckinnon rated it liked it
Shelves: child-lit, theater
This book of plays was very cute! My classmates and I enjoyed both reading and acting out one of the plays for our Children’s literature class. All of the plays are a twist on normal fairy tales and they are truly funny. I laughed at just about every play that was contained in this collection. My absolute favorite was The Little Red Robin.
Carson Panike
Jan 24, 2015 Carson Panike rated it liked it
This book of small plays for children to put on is full of funny characters and plots. I gave it three stars because I did not particularly like the way that the plays were written. I would however, recommend this book to any teachers with young kids. The children would have a blast with these plays.
Kaylyn Bud
Jan 25, 2015 Kaylyn Bud rated it really liked it
The stories in this book are very silly! They are similar to the original fairy tale stories, but have a funny spin on the endings and silly little side adventures that are very entertaining and children will think they are hilarious, I know I did!
Sierra Hagar
Jan 27, 2015 Sierra Hagar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theater
I found Justin McCory's versions of these fairy tales very creative and fun. I think that his short skits would be really fun to use in the classroom. I like the fact that he changed each story from the original one but everyone can relate to the story through the original fairy tales.
Tamara
Sep 11, 2014 Tamara rated it it was ok
It was just very unoriginal to me. Maybe because I grew up reading adaptions of fairy tales, but there was almost nothing that caught my interest in here. The title has some pretty high standards that it does not live up to. I'm 99% positive that I would have felt the same as a kid.
Lauren Busdicker
Jan 26, 2015 Lauren Busdicker rated it really liked it
Shelves: theater
I enjoyed this book! My favorite skit out of the book was The Three Little Elephants. I loved how the book had different skits with multiple different parts. If you were to use this book in a classroom it would give the classroom variety.
Amanda Eastmond
Jan 20, 2015 Amanda Eastmond rated it really liked it
Shelves: theater
I really liked the plays for "cinderella" and for "sleeping beauty." I thought the ending for Spiderella was clever and I liked the spin on Slurping Beauty. I felt like these would be really fun for kids to act out and that they would enjoy the different twists to the stories.
Michelle
Oct 02, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
I remember reading this book in class before and it was fun. I love doing theater stuff or plays. Some of the plays were dumb, but some of them I liked. I really enjoyed today's class in all of the plays.
Karen
Oct 07, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
These plays were super cute and funny!! I liked how they took well known fairy tales and then put their own twist to it. I can totally see why teachers would use this in their classrooms. The plays can help with cooperation and can help some students get out of their shells. These plays are great.
Liz
Aug 31, 2010 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
I also used this book to teach play writing. It worked well to show how some plays use narrators. This was more effective with elementary school students because it is a lot simpler. The plays are fun to read though and the kids think they are hilarious.
Whitney Wahlen
Oct 07, 2014 Whitney Wahlen rated it it was amazing
All of these stories were so clever and funny! I was laughing the whole time! I'm so excited to use this book for my future students. I know that acting these stories out in front of the class will make my students die laughing! These stories will make any bad day better!
Breanna
Oct 02, 2014 Breanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Great resource for fun readers theater. It will make a lesson on fluency more exciting for students.
Don Gubler
Aug 21, 2012 Don Gubler rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
These are not really meant to be read but to be acted out. With loose reins groups could have a hilarious time with these.
Caylee Pinchak
Jan 27, 2015 Caylee Pinchak rated it liked it
Shelves: theater
This is a great children's book! Great funny twist on the classic fairy tales. Kids would enjoy reenacting this short plays.
Laurie Storie
Jul 25, 2014 Laurie Storie rated it really liked it
Great family fun to read aloud with the kids!
Emily Bridenstine
Jan 22, 2015 Emily Bridenstine rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is a great collection of short easy children plays. Great for an indoor recess or a quick brain break. Each play has 4-8 characters with short lines.
Amber
Nov 21, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it
They are great fun lol
Caroline Dougherty
Oct 02, 2014 Caroline Dougherty rated it really liked it
This would be an amazing book to have as a young elementary school teacher! You could teach so much from it and students would love it! It would make them giggle with the different odd characters.
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015