Start by marking “Lazy Lion” as Want to Read:
Lazy Lion

Lazy Lion

Lazy Lion orders the animals to build him a house on the African plain.

The Weaver Birds build him a house of nest grasses and palm leaves, but Lazy Lion is too heavy to reach the door. The Ant Bears build him a house with many rooms and caverns, but it is so dark Lion can't see anything.

The animals do their best to please Lion, but he is very difficult to please. Will he
Published May 3rd 1990 by Hachette Children's

To ask other readers questions about Lazy Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lazy Lion

Hilary Woolf
Nov 08, 2016 Hilary Woolf rated it it was amazing
A just so style story introducing some african animals. Lovely illustrations, this was a bedtime favourite of my children, I sure I could read this book with my eyes shut.
Sithara
Dec 22, 2007 Sithara rated it it was amazing
I wanted to get a book about African animals for my two year old neice- a simple story, with morals explained in a fun and engaging way. As soon as I saw LAZY LION by Mwenye Hadithi I knew I found my book!

The story is simple: The Lion, King of Animals, asks his subjects to find him a home. But he is very picky and lazy - this house is too big, that house is too small, this house is too wet...nothing pleases him.

When it rains, all the animals rush into their houses, leaving the LAZY LION wanderin
Celeste
Aug 11, 2016 Celeste rated it it was ok
I admit, I feel bad for the Lion. I am not sure that laziness is really the issue here, although things would probably work out better if he built his own house. But I think the crocodile's assessment (The Lion is so hard to please) is unfair. The Lion's criticisms of the various houses are totally justified--a Lion can't live in an ant hill or a bird's nest or a log!

Mostly I fear that this little fable actually teaches that homelessness is the fault of the homeless person--that if they just wer
Heather
It's going to rain and the lion wants someone to build him a home because he's, well, lazy. Various animals do so but he can't use them because he's too big or it's too high or too wet or whatever.

My kids thought it was funny and also thought the lion should go build his own house and deserved to get wet in the rain.

A cute little story with fun illustrations.
LeeAnn G
Feb 05, 2011 LeeAnn G rated it liked it
Great Book to read to a perfect little God-Daughter on a cold, sunny day. It teaches to have manners and morals or else.
Miss Sarah
Jul 15, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lions
A lion wants every other animal in the area to build a home for him but he's never satisfied with the houses they build. What will happen when it rains? Length makes it preschool plus.
Matthew Winner
Matthew Winner rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Ange (Libby Blog) Schmelzer
Ange (Libby Blog) Schmelzer rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2009
Ey
Ey rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2014
Gail
Sep 02, 2011 Gail rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I do like African folktales.
Kevin Guarnotta
Kevin Guarnotta rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Teri
Jul 06, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it
Great exposure to lots of different African animals and a good story as well. Two thumbs up.
Jay Bostwick
Jay Bostwick rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2010
Jessica Lovitt
Jessica Lovitt rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2015
Jacob
Jacob rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2010
Laura rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Hettie
Hettie rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2013
Aren Lerner
Aren Lerner rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Angie Hathaway Rincon
Angie Hathaway Rincon rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
Caterina
Caterina rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2014
Louise Parkinson
Louise Parkinson rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
May 13, 2015
Jules Spriddle
Jules Spriddle rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Thea
Thea rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Mpho Otukile
Mpho Otukile rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2011
Cherie
Cherie rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2016
Virginia Burnham
Virginia Burnham rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
From the inside cover of one of his books:
Mwenye Hadithi, meaning "he who has the stories," is a name used by Bruce Hobson, who was inspired by Adrienne Kennaway's vibrant use of color to write stories for children. Mr. Hobson grew up on ten acres of bush garden with porcupines and gazelles; crocodiles in the rose bed; and a hippopotamus that once got stuck between the courtyard gates--all of whic
More about Mwenye Hadithi...