Start by marking “The Martian Way” as Want to Read:
The Martian Way

The Martian Way

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,324 ratings  ·  33 reviews
This collection of four famous science fiction tales masterfully exemplifies author Isaac Asimov's ability to create quickly a believable human milieu in the midst of alien circumstances. Each of the long stores also shows his considerable skill in fully fleshing out a speculative scientific or social possibility.
Published 1971 by Panther (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Martian Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Martian Way

Manny
The Genevan Way, a short story inspired by Isaac Asimov and some real events

"Oh fuck!!" wailed Not. "Our shower has no hot water again!"

"Don't worry," I said, and quickly assembled an anti-gravity device out of some spare parts we'd just acquired from a CERN friend who was moving house. Pausing only to put on my ex-NASA space suit and pack a laptop, a fondue set, some Gruyère and a bag of stale bread, I blasted off in the direction of Jupiter.

The trip was going to take a good half hour, so I pas...more
Kat
The first story The Martian Way begs the unanswered question: what will happen to the rings of Saturn, its moons, and the planet itself as its ice rings are systematically cut away? Will its moons (especially Pandora and Prometheus, the shepherding moons whose gravitational forces are responsible for the confining, shaping, and gaps between the rings) break their orbit with Saturn to become dangerous planet-killer comets? To what degree will Saturn itself experience atmospheric or orbital change...more
Richard
It's quite fashionable to put Asimov down these days, and I don't recommend this without reservation. One doesn't read Asimov for characterization (For me, the best character he ever created was the robot detective in the "Naked Sun" and "Caves of Steel" novels), prose style, or insight about women (it's a male world in these two novelettes and two short stories). But before 1970 he was good at fashioning concise, hard science, idea-driven fiction. These are all from the early 1950's. The lean p...more
Denis
The title story is one of the first SF stories I ever read. It was anthologized in some 50's collection lent to me by a friend. I never forgot that story. I even retold it to my stepdaughter (6 years old at the time and is in her twenties now) during a relatively long car ride. She retold it as a factual story the next day at school... She has never forgiven me for that.

The other stories in this collection are first rate Asimov.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans
Isaac Asimov is one of my favorite science fiction authors. Some of his novels and story collections I've ranked five stars as simply amazing. Not in style or characterizations--but in ideas. Asimov's style I'd call decent--workmanlike. It's well-crafted but you don't linger over the prose as this thing of beauty. Asimov can (rarely) pull at the heartstrings (try reading the short story "The Ugly Little Boy") and at times he can create, if not complex, then memorable characters. (Such as "the Mu...more
Mutlu Cankay
Ustanın 4 kısa hikayesinin bulunduğu kitabı. Yazar, işlemeyi en sevdiği motifleri burada da kullanmaktan geri durmamış. İlerleme adına verilen çaba, mantıklı çözümlere duyulan ihtiyaç, ekol çatışmaları hikayelerin ana motifleri olarak göze çarpıyor. Ayağı yere basan kurgusu, güçlü çıkarım ve öngörüleri ile bezeli olan hikayeleri sosyolojik açıdan son derece akla yatkın ve sağlam olsa da tıpkı Clarke gibi birebir ilişki ve diyaloglarda konferans salonları hakim olan soğukluğa benzer bir his alabi...more
Ali Çetinbudaklar
Üstadın 4 kısa öyküsünün toplandığı bir derleme.Öyküler çeşitli alt türlere ait.Bu öyküler:

Mars Yolu: Politik tabanlı bir bilimkurgu diyebilirim.Dünya İnsanlığın'ın, Mars İnsanlığın'ın gözünün yaşına bakmadığı bir çağı konu alıyor.Mars'ın istediği suyu ancak ticari yollarla tedarik edilebileceğini söyleyen Dünya Hükümeti ve hükümetin bu davranışını öngören Marslı birkaç maceraperest kişiliklerin hayatların pahasına da olsa diğer soğuk gezegenlerden aşırı büyük buz kütlesinin getirme çabalarını k...more
Christophe
Sur Troie, tous les colons sont morts d'une mystérieuse épidémie, et
l'expédition scientifique dépêchée sur place compte sur Mark, un jeune
garçon doté de facultés mémorielles extraordinaires, pour comprendre ce
qui s'est passé. Quant à la colonie martienne, elle est en conflit
économique avec la terre, qui menace de suspendre son approvisionnement
en eau si la situation s'éternise. Mais les résidents de mars sont
résolus à tenir, et prêts à aller chercher de l'eau jusque sur Saturne
s'il le fau
B
In many short stories, there is either something interesting in the setting up of the rules/scenario or the single twist. Here, the twists fail so the book cannot really succeed. The twists are foreshadowed so heavily that it sometimes gets painful. But there was always hope that the book woudl pick up.

Spoiler:
In half the stories the twist is that the "alien" is people. In the first story, the shortsighted populist despot is named "Hilder." The fourth story is somewhat interesting because it fo...more
Edelhart Kempeneers
Leuk om nog eens een boek van Asimov te herlezen. Vanuit astronomisch standpunt weliswaar wat achterhaald, maar de verhalen blijven staan.
Jan
Fun and imaginative stories written more than 60 years ago. Typical plots transmogrified from terrestrial to interstellar contexts.
Pili
Este libro me recuerda las bibliotecas donde pasaba los recreos, comiendo pan con dulce de membrillos Watts envuelto en una servilleta de papel (sin que me viera la bibliotecaria, porque estaba prohibido comer en la biblioteca) mientras leía en una mesita.

Asimov es famoso en NerdWorld. Sus leyes de la robotica pasaron de ser una frase a una realidad...i guess..

Buen librito. Sigamos con esto...aun faltan algunos niños de mi biblioteca...
Ash
Aug 27, 2010 Ash rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love Sci-fi stuff, particularly about interstellar travel
Asimov has a wonderful way of writing that interestingly mixes in his plethora of scientific knowledge. My favorite story in this collection was "Sucker Bait," it was interesting the whole time, and hard to walk away from. Asimov also describes the planets that are very much alive in his imagination beautifully, I had a very Fellucia like imagine of Junior the whole story (with the addition of a sun, and shorter vegetation).
Lara
Enjoyable, but not amazing. The first story, "The Martian Way," was probably my favorite, and I also enjoyed the last one, "Sucker Bait." But the middle two? Meh. "Youth" felt extremely predictable and kind of cheesy--it was supposed to be clever, I imagine, but...wasn't really. At least not 60 years after the fact. And I just didn't get anything at all out of "The Deep." Fun to read once, but definitely not a keeper.
melydia
A collection of four short stories (or maybe technically novellas) from the 1950s. Like much of Asimov's work, the driving force behind all the plots is "what if?" The characters aren't much to write home about, but the concepts and visuals are unforgettable. My favorite is the mental picture I got of floating in space with Saturn looming overhead, as described in the titular story. Breathtaking.
Cat Tobin
A bit lacklustre, this one - not one of his best works. However, to paraphrase a friend's quote about a TV show- even a bad Asimov is still a good book.
John
A solid collection of four novellas from the mid-1950s. Inventive as always, Asimov touches on, among other topics, the possibility of mining the outer solar system for natural resources, an idea which is coming into its own some 60 years later. Fans of the grand old nerd will likely be pleased.
Alan Hat
This is probably the story I've read the most times.
It deals with a life of adversity considered normal & how they deal with a situation (view spoiler) caused by authorities elsewhere.
Brandon
These four stories are each different in tone from each other. But they are equally good. I'd recommend this (rare and hard to find) collection to any fan of vintage sci-fi. The second tale, "Youth," is available for free in the iTunes bookstore.
Navakanth
I loved reading all the 4 stories but Sucker Bait was my favorite.. great stories with convincing science (explantions are deep enough to appreciate fully the situation) embedded into a drama of deep space exploration.
Anton
The Martian Way and Sucker Bait are two great short stories, but the other two are not as good, but short and definately worth reading. The twist ending of Youth is spoiled on the back cover, so don't read that.
Louis Shalako
Asimov wrote something like 300 books and countless articles. The version of the book that I have has four of his short stories. The last, 'Sucker Bait,' is my favourite in the book.
Keith Bell
I thought I had read almost everything he had written but found this at a library sale and got to experience some "new" stuff from Asimov. (OK so it was published 53 yrs ago)
Ben
5 stars for the Martian Way, 4 stars for Sucker Bait, 3 stars for Youth and 2 stars for The Deep... I gave it a 4 because I would have no problem reading the main story again.
Djiezes
Aug 27, 2009 Djiezes marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Dutch Title : "Het fopaas"

Contains the following stories:
1) The Martian Way (Op z'n Martiaans)
2) Youth (Jeugd)
3) The Deep (Diepte)
4) Sucker Bait (Het fopaas)
Krista
What a wonderful collection of thought-provoking short stories. I'm not even sure I can pick a favorite. Definitely adding this one to my keeper shelf.
Fredrick Danysh
A good collection of some of Asimov's early stories involving space flight. It is easy to read and wholesome without sex and profanity.
Tiuri Elvander
I only read the Sucker Bait story, because I'd read it years ago and was never able to find it again, until I did.
Charles
An anthology of Asimov's stories. Not my favorite pieces by him but decent work.
Liv
Really enojoyed 2 of the 4 short stories: Martian Way and Sucker Bait.
  • Tales Of Ten Worlds (Gollancz)
  • Revenge of the Mooncake Vixen
  • Expanded Universe
  • S is for Space
  • The Terminal Beach
  • Empires of Food: Feast, Famine, and the Rise and Fall of Civilization
  • Convergent Series
  • Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World
  • The Preserving Machine
  • A Choice of Gods
  • Blade Runner: A Movie
  • They Shall Have Stars (Cities in Flight, #1)

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te...more
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)