Start by marking “Mammoth Book Of Short Science Fiction Novels” as Want to Read:
Mammoth Book Of Short Science Fiction Novels

Mammoth Book Of Short Science Fiction Novels

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Comprising:

Profession by Isaac Asimov
Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell, Jr.
For I am a Jealous People! by Lester Del Rey
The Mortal and the Monster by Gordon R. Dickson
Time Safari by David Drake
In the Western Tradition by Phyllis Eistenstein
The Alley Man by Philip José Farmer
The Sellers of the Dream by John Jakes
The Moon Goddess and the Son by Donald Kingsbury
Enemy Mine by
Published January 1st 1986 by Robinson Publishing (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Mammoth Book Of Short Science Fiction Novels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mammoth Book Of Short Science Fiction Novels

Ben Babcock
I picked this up while nosing around an antique shop. My copy is battered: its front cover is torn and disfigured; its spine is bent into a sadistic and perilous curve; its pages are bloated and distorted from what I can only guess is water damage. If it weren’t such a thick book, I’d have scoffed at the £2 I paid for it.

As it is, there is something familiar about The Mammoth Book of Short Science Fiction Novels. I feel like I’ve read some of these stories before—and maybe I have, since their in
Andrew
The "Mammoth book of.." series during the late 90s were a treasure trove of material for me. I was still exploring science fiction and fantasy and with little guidance or suggestions of what to look for these books were a window in to a world I was just starting to hesitantly explore.

This book is a perfect example, it contains some truly classic stories such as "Who goes there" by John W Campbell. This story went on to be the inspiration of John Carpenters "The THING". I guess to some who have
M.G. Mason
A collection of short novels here from some of the biggest names in science fiction. Some will be familiar. “Who Goes There?” for example is the original story on which The Thing horror film is based.

Similarly, Enemy Mine will be familiar to almost all science fiction fans. Even if you’ve never read this or seen the film, there is barely a science fiction series that has not used its basic premise in an episode.

Those two aside, this collection is very much a mixed affair. My favourites are: For
Manu Prasad
The book consists of 13 science fiction novellas all written between 1950 and 1980. At the outset, I am a bit disappointed that I didn't like the book as much as I thought I would. The start was fantastic, with Isaac Asimov's "Profession", where he manages to narrate a story that's universal and timeless. I wasn't particularly impressed with John Campbell's, though it was made into comics and movies. Lester Del Ray's "For I am Jealous People" has an intriguing plot in which God abandons the huma ...more
Raj
This book does exactly what it says on the tin, except these days we'd call the stories novellas rather than short novels. There's a lot to like in this collection, although some that I didn't enjoy as well.

The collection starts with Isaac Asimov's 'Profession', which is a solid Golden Age story of a future where knowledge is injected directly into the brains of people at the appropriate age, and about what happens to those few for whom the process doesn't work. John W. Campbell's 'Who Goes Ther
Odhran
There's quite a lot of good work in here. Every story in the book is solid - nothing overly amazing, but nothing better than very good. It's been a while since I actually read it (due to a month without internet access, I'm only entering my September/October reading at the start of November), so I can't say too much about the individual sotries. I found "Flash Crowd", in particular, to be thought-provoking - some of the best sci-fi is just taking an idea to its logical conclusions.
Andy
ORIGINAL US TITLE: BAKER'S DOZEN - 13 SHORT SCIENCE FICTION STORIES.
Kassandra Tiessen
Kassandra Tiessen marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Khryss
Khryss marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Richard Ackrill
Richard Ackrill marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Raymond
Raymond marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Isuru
Isuru marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
Kiara Joy Gilbert
Kiara Joy Gilbert marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
veronica davies
veronica davies marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Natallia
Natallia marked it as to-read
May 25, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 22, 2013
Miff73
Miff73 marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)