Start by marking “Finn's Going” as Want to Read:
Finn's Going

Finn's Going

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Take Finn. He may be the burping champion of the universe. He may be the demon farter of the planet--capable of mind-boggling impressions (a hissing cat, a creaking door in a haunted house, a boiling egg). Or not. Take Danny. "He" may be the burping champion of the universe. "He" may be the demon farter of the planet--capable of mind-boggling impressions (a hissing cat, a ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Greenwillow Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Finn's Going, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finn's Going

Sheila Quealey
The Thing with Finn is a carefully written book about the experience of loss of a close family member. Tom Kelly tells this story from the point of view of a 10 year old boy and he manages to translate complex, confused emotion into the terminology of childhood. However, while I loved this touching book the girls from my book club hated it. They found it confusing and boring. They felt that nothing really happened in it. While there wasn't a great deal of actual activity the emotional journey of ...more
Amanda
Danny or Finn? That is what the identical twin boys were asked constantly at school. That is what I was left asking at the end of this story. It seems to be told by 10 year old Danny as he is running away from home. Six weeks earlier his twin brother Finn died and the whole family has disintegrated under the weight of their grief. Nothing is the same any more. Danny is leaving so he won't remind his family of their loss any more and to try and cope with his own grief and guilt about his brother' ...more
Childrens
I loved this book-it is a bit sad plotwise, but so fantastically written. I can't believe that even though we all use the same words, the way some writers can put them together to create characters and mood blows me away and reminds me why I read instead of write
Amy
Loved this book so much! It was a re-read for me, and deals with a whole lot of issues; suffering, loss, religion, fate, optimism, pessimism, etc. The whole lot! The story revolves around the protagonist Danny, who is a ten-year-old identical twin. However, his twin brother, Finn, died. The story shows how Danny deals with Finn's death - how he copes with not having a brother to help him grow up and learn. He then runs away because he doesn't want to remind his family what has happened, and blam ...more
Canadian Reader
Alyssa Joyce
For a preteen like me, it was pretty confusing. I did enjoy the last parts of the bookBut for the first 150 pages, there wasn't much explanation so I didn't want to read it. But when I read some reviews from different people I got inerested and just ignoted the confusing thought. But overall it is a really good book. Something you can learn from.
Petya
Wonderful, the most wonderfulest book! I cried my eyes out and all I wanted is just to hug this boy, to hold him forever and love him. But he had to do this on his own; find a way back to himself. And he is already loved.

An amazing story told by a boy about the thing with Finn and about many, many other things that he thinks and worries about.

READ IT!

~~~

Ich habe es mir endlich gekauft (damals war es aus der Bibliothek ausgeliehen) und lese es wieder. Und ich bleibe dabei: absolut fantastisch!
Alice
This is the story of 10 year old Danny, whose identical twin brother has died. We don't find out how until well into the book but we know Danny runs away because he can't cope with the pain his identical face brings to his family. The 10 year old voice in the book means it has a slow start (lots of references to poo etc) and the story does stretch credibility in several ways, but the author gives real insight into grief, and I did find myself getting involved in the second half of the story.
Red
May 30, 2008 Red rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: introspective 8-12 year olds
Shelves: ya
I picked up this book at a buy one get a free galley copy, sale. This book is more Y than YA for my taste. The protagonist is a 10 year old British boy, Danny, who's identical twin brother Finn, has recently died. The book covers coming to terms with that loss. It's told in an unusual format, and Danny has a clear voice.
Sharon
This book was a slow start, but got you hooked when finally got into it. The ending is unexpected and makes you want to reread the book, like the movie "The Sixth Sense" made you want to resee the movie to really understand it. A good book for a person dealing with the loss of someone close to them.
Tanner Pettitt
This book was a really good book. I liked how the author tried to put joke in some of the paragraphs to make the book more funny. When Finn was running away they talked about how much he missed his family and would do anything to be with them again. i recommend to all to read this book.
Heather Beztilny
Definitely a book that will go over the heads of most kids, even though it is meant for kids. Tough subject matter, but well written . Leaves you wondering Who actually died and who is left, for twins who lose the other, I think it was quite well done.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
This book is really good! Except kinda insulting to otters. They get hit by a brick with three holes. M.
Amy
Got bored half-way through -- I think I can skip disfunction and unhappiness. Don't need that!
Makenna
Dec 06, 2008 Makenna marked it as to-read
have no clue what it;s about..... but hopefully i will soon.......
Kathy
Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (2007)
Loubna
Loubna marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Mia
Mia added it
Jan 03, 2015
Linda Lipko
Linda Lipko marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Cathal
Cathal added it
Sep 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tom Kelly was born in New Jersey, spent his childhood in Belfast, Ireland, and now lives in England with his family. FINN'S GOING is his first novel.
More about Tom Kelly...
Tenth Legion: Tips, Tactics, and Insights on Turkey Hunting The Season, Second Printing Better on a Rising Tide Season Of Dreams: The Minnesota Twins' Drive To The 1991 World Championship The T.H. Kelly Handbook, "The Little Green Book"