Slave of the Huns

Slave of the Huns

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Hardcover
Published January 1st 2000 by Corvina Books Limited (first published 1901)

Virag
Slave of the Huns was one of the first historical fiction/adventure novels I read. Maybe that is why I love historical fiction now - this was a very good book to start with, and it got me hooked on the genre.

Slave of the Huns is about Zeta, a Greek slave during the time of Theodosis, who travels to the land of Attila and falls in love with a Hunnish noble. The plot really drew me in, and I thought the translation from the original version was done quite well. I remember reading this over and ov...more
Sean N Noonan
The first book to truly inspire me. I read it many times over the years and it can still work its magic, though as a teenaqer it meant the most. Full of history, this is essentially a love story replete with angst and shows the depths to which people will go for the sake of their love, set against the backdrop of Attila the Hun and his fight with the corrupt later Roman Empire. Simply, its brilliant and well worth a read.
Kerry Hennigan
I loved this book from the very first time I read it, many, many years ago. I loved it for Victor C. Ambrus' wonderful illustrations, and I loved it because it was a story that transports the reader totally to its historical setting.

Zeta was sold into slavery by his father out of necessity, but when his kind master frees him, he chooses new bonds of servitude. Zeta falls in love with a beautiful young girl named Emmo, a daughter of a high-born Hun in the army of the feared Attila.

Europe is on th...more
Zsebenci Klopédia
Érdekes, hogy milyen sokan nem értik ezt a könyvet. Olvassák, de minek...? Várólistacsökkentés? Ezzel a módszerrel igazán butuskának lehet maradni rengeteg olvasmánnyal a hátunk mögött is.
Janez Hočevar
Definately worth reading, although I was quite tempted to put it down and stop reading it at some passages. Perhaps I am a bit prejudiced because I first read Gardonyi's Eclipse of the crescent moon???? However, there is something in Gardonyi's narrative that keeps the reader glued to the book. Whether it is the historical context, the love story or the philosophical traits of the plot, remains to be decided by the reader/individual itself!
Veerle
This is a good old book, but still readable today.
It is the story of a Greek slave, who was freed by his Roman master. He went to the city of Attila, and fell desperatly in love with a Hunnic princess. For her he learned to live as a Hun, to fight as a Hun, but her mind was on another man. And only after she died, he realised she was not quite the woman he thought she was, and perhaps he was not really the man he thought he was.
David Koblos
Wanna be proud of Hungarian culture, traditions, and a heroic ancestry? This book is perfect for that. Not exactly an accurate ethnography, but much more so a lively, action-packed, historical fiction about the Huns, taken from a sympathetic point of view.
Morgiana
this is another childhood favorite - and it was so excellent now.
If you want to know something about the 4th century in the Carpathian basin written in excellent manner, this is a book for you.
Margareth8537
A very interesting book with an appealing central character.
Beáta
It is a historical novel about the Huns.
Elizabeth Raymond
Elizabeth Raymond marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Laura Szende
Laura Szende marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Csaba Arvai
Csaba Arvai marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Marko
Marko marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Niki
Niki added it
Feb 25, 2014
Selena
Selena marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Ekta
Ekta marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Zita
Zita marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Géza Gárdonyi, born Géza Ziegler (August 3, 1863 – October 30, 1922) was a Hungarian writer and journalist. Although he wrote a range of works, he had his greatest success as a historical novelist, particularly with Eclipse of the Crescent Moon and Slave of the Huns.

Gárdonyi was born in Agárdpuszta, Kingdom of Hungary, the son of a machinist on the estate of an aristocrat in Western Hungary. He gr...more
More about Géza Gárdonyi...
Eclipse of the Crescent Moon Ida regénye Isten rabjai Atila Garmatainās briesmas