Start by marking “Two Gardeners: A Friendship in Letters” as Want to Read:
Two Gardeners: A Friendship in Letters

Two Gardeners: A Friendship in Letters

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A legendary editor at The New Yorker during its first thirty-four years, Katharine S. White was also a great garden enthusiast. In March 1958 she began publishing her popular column, "Onward and Upward in the Garden." Her first column elicited loads of fan mail, but one letter in particular caught her attention. From Elizabeth Lawrence, a noted southern garden writer, it w ...more
Published April 15th 2003 by Beacon Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Two Gardeners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Gardeners

A book arrived yesterday that made me giddy. Scott saw me squealing over it and wanted to know what all the excitement was about. I tried to think how best to explain it to him.

“Okay, imagine that John Lennon and Elvis Presley were pen-pals. Say they had a lively correspondence, letters flying back and forth for years and years. Now imagine that this book is a collection of those letters.”

He raised his eyebrows. “Who are they really?”

I sighed happily. “Katharine White and Elizabeth Lawrence.”

Sep 13, 2011 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: flower gardeners, people who like to read about friendships, memoir readers
Recommended to Judy by: Anne Reach
This book invites gardeners and memoir-lovers alike to stretch out on a hammock and read away. Elizabeth Lawrence, a garden writer for the Charlotte (NC) Observer, dropped a note in the mail to Katharine White, the author of a garden column in the New Yorker. When Katharine responded cordially to Elizabeth, a correspondence and friendship blossomed and grew. The content of the letters evidences the respect and reliance on each other's advice and opinions whether it be about their gardens, writin ...more
Rift Vegan
The friendship that grew between these two women via flowers and letter writing is so beautiful and amazing to me. Even when a whole year passed between letters, the connection was still tangible. Something to aspire to, and also something that gives me hope for humanity.
Reading this book made me want to know more about Katharine S. White and Elizabeth Lawrence - their lives, their other writings, and their gardens. I love to read about gardens and gardeners. The stories behind the plants are one of the best parts of gardening!
Hit a sweet spot for me. I loved both reading about gardening and seeing the friendship develop via letter between these two writers.
This book of letters between two fascinating and intelligent women is a book I discovered while reading Onward and Upward In the Garden , a series of gardening reviews by Katharine White published in the New Yorker magazine starting in the late 1950's. As a result of the first article in the series, she began a correspondnace with garden writer Elizabeth Lawrence of North Carolina. Katharine White was the wife of EB White and a famed editor in her own right at the New Yorker for most of her life ...more
Elizabeth first wrote to Katharine in 1958 when they were 50+ and 60+ years old. That started a 20-year letter correspondence between two busy writers (Katharine an editor for "The New Yorker" with a farm in Maine, Elizabeth a North Carolina gardening columnist and author) with a passion for tending blooming things. They exchanged information on their gardens in all seasons, families, health issues, research sources and writing-in-progress. Mostly, they shared a genuine respect and appreciation ...more
This book was a beautiful portrayal of friendship. Real letters and real people. I loved learning about plants as well. I wasn't sure about the book as I started, but found it one I didn't want to put down. I felt like I found two friends.
Marian H.
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. A real treasure! I soon felt like Katharine and Elizabeth were dear friends and was so sad when the book ended, and I had no new letters to look forward to. Thank you Emily for giving us this book.
Special treat for gardeners, literature lovers, and anyone who delights in reading about women's friendships. (From the back cover)
May 29, 2010 Stephanie marked it as to-read
I haven't read this book yets but something tells me that it's good to read.
Interesting book of letters between two women with gardens .
sweet back and forth letters between two gardeners.
Kate marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Angela marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Tracy G
Tracy G marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Cheri' Sadler
Cheri' Sadler marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Brenda marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Louise marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Jeri Lynn
Jeri Lynn marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Julie added it
Jul 03, 2015
Alicia added it
Jun 27, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015