Start by marking “All for Love; or, World Well Lost” as Want to Read:
All for Love; or, World Well Lost

All for Love; or, World Well Lost

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  738 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Dryden's retelling of Antony and Cleopatra story as a heroic tragedy.
Published 1966 by Appleton-Century-Crofts (first published 1678)

To ask other readers questions about All for Love; or, World Well Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All for Love; or, World Well Lost

غزل أدم
يبدو أن شهر يناير عام 2016
سيكون شهر الأعمال الكلاسيكية
مسرحية تتحدث عن قصة الحب بين كليوباترا وأنطونى
كما تخيلها جون دريدان
لكن مع الأسف هذا النوع من المسرحيات لا يجذبنى
لكن النجمة الثانية كانت من أجل البحث الأثرى للأستاذ سليم حسن

Comparing poor Dryden with Shakespeare , definitely shakespeare is going to shine in contrast .
If you want to read about sentimental love and romance this is the play for you BUT if you want to read an open debate then surely Shakespeare is your right guy.

Neo-Classicism prevailed during the restoration age when Dryden wrote this play in 1667.
At this time new theatres were built completely different from Shakespeare’s time .

In Shakespeare’s time the most famous stage was The Globe Theatre it
Loly Mohamed
May 31, 2015 Loly Mohamed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Cleopatra Mark Antony by Pompeo Batoni jpg w300h

All for love by John Dryden one of the best plays I've read . it's a heroic play written in blank verse . all for love is an imitation to Antony and Cleopatra by Shakespeare . they say it surpass the one by Shakespeare but i think only in love .
the main theme is the conflict between love and duty . love was every where in the play . Cleopatra's love was true but Antony was fickle , he left her many times but she loved him the same way . i was confused all along the play between Cleopatra's love
Mira Jundi
I honestly enjoyed Shakespeare's version of Antony and Cleopatra more than Dryden's.

He actually failed what he was aiming to do; passing a moral lesson. The result was absolutely the opposite.
Mitchell
Apr 14, 2009 Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading for book group. We are also looking at Shakespeare's Antony & Cleopatra as well as Plutarch's Life of Antony.

It's obvious how Plutarch is the grandfather, Shakespeare the child and Dryden the grandchild.

I found the differences between the two plays interesting. Shakespeare's is sprawling with high-flown emotion and intense character study, as you would expect. The Dryden looks to the tradition of Shakespeare but it is all toned down in its attempt to have the play observe the classic
Tony
Jan 30, 2013 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
ALL FOR LOVE. (1678). John Dryden. ***.
This play by Dryden (1631-1700) was subtitled, “The World Well Lost,” and was written “in imitation of Shakespeare’s style.” It is written in blank verse, and, other than featuring Antony and Cleopatra, has little resemblance to the Bard’s earlier work. I found it to be a difficult reading play. Although the plot, such as it is, moves forward logically, the verse itself is in many places strained in order to adhere to the rules. “All For Love” was not Dryd
Kyc
Jul 25, 2016 Kyc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Inevitably this play would be compared to Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra, which was one of its inspirations - All for Love was billed - when first printed - as "Written in Imitation Of Shakespeare's Style". Comparisons are odious, but what a vast contrast this is from Shakespeare's Roman masterpiece. Dryden's very dry historical drama is just a passable blank verse version with very little dramatic tension or action.

Dryden, in observation of the norms of late 17th century Neoclassical drama,
Benjamin
Jul 23, 2014 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
The title of this book sounds a bit corny and hokey. And indeed, it is about the well-worn theme of illicit love that is doomed from the beginning. Nevertheless, the inherent lessons are timeless, and if the tale itself is well-worn it is also true that it has the same satisfying feeling as putting on a well-worn shoe. It somehow appeals to those longings of the human soul that have the capacity to bring a body to ruin.

It is actually a play that takes place after the catastrophic defeat of Marc
زينب الشاهد
All for love , all for you , my honor , my dignity , my throne even my soul .. all for you but stay with me or die with me
Love it so much ..
H
"I have been a man," declares, laments Dryden's Mark Antony. I read this with excitement; it seemed to re-illuminate Shakespeare's characters. But the mawkish fourth act made a soap opera of the old tragedy.

Still, there's plenty to learn from the comparison. Dryden loosens his iambs, gives to speech a little more vernacular. He varies line lengths to rhetorical, not poetic, effect. In Shakespeare, the dramatic oddity of characters and situations require unpacking; in Dryden, prosaic simplicity d
Rachel
In form and style Dryden's play is almost impeccable, adhering to Aristotlean conventions quite to the letter (whether that is for better or worse is rather for the individual reader to decide). But though in this coherent, thoroughly theatrical play there is much to be admired, particularly by actors and directors, it lacks the violent, irrepressible soul in Shakespeare's telling of this same story. In Dryden's measured scenes there are not the garishly bright lines of blank verse which, in Sha ...more
Dakota
Oct 27, 2013 Dakota rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually like this adaptation more than Antony and Cleopatra, but I do not think I would have liked it nearly as much without having first read Antony and Cleopatra because All for Love has a much smaller focus in the plot. I think the theme of everything being for love is way more meaningful after having first thought of Antony and Cleopatra as microcosms in Shakespeare's play, as it makes them into much more important and dynamic characters than Dryden's does.
Radwa Hamdon
Shakespeare still holds the throne.
Mandy
Nov 30, 2011 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is, as Dryden mentions in his introduction to the play, a reworking of Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra , which, I'll admit, I prefer. Dryden's Antony is a bit of a winy poop, though his Cleopatra is perhaps more sympathetic than Shakespeare's. To step away from the rather unavoidable Shakespeare comparison, Dryden avoids a distracting subplot (which also, I think unfortunately, eliminates any levity) and much of his language is romantic and beautiful.
Ann Canann
Apr 05, 2011 Ann Canann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Found in: Four Great Restoration Plays pg.135

All For Love is an interesting retelling of Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra, but not nearly as good.

"Although John Dryden the poet is best known for his alexandrine epics, John Dryden the playwright is most honored for this blank verse tragedy. The summit of Dryden's dramatic art, All For Love (1677) is a spectacle of passion as felt, feared, and disputed in the suspicious years following the English Civil War."
Nina
Apr 21, 2012 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-theatre
I haven't read Shakespeare's variant, but I enjoyed this one so much that it truly made me curious about the original one. It's funny how the end of the play made me think about Romeo and Juliet, same kind of tragedy... I liked the fact that Cleopatra is seen different from the perspective of the other characters and makes the reader wonder how the author actually wanted to picture her...good or bad?
Anyway, really good play :).
Matthew
Apr 02, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A much more focused tale of the last days of Mark Antony & Cleopatra than the Shakespeare play. At least as melodramatic as the Bard's version, but "All for Love" offers a lot of great acting moments that would be fun to perform, John Dryden's Restoration-era English is both florid and precise, beautiful and almost mathematical, nearly on-par with Milton.
Rohit Yadav
Dec 30, 2012 Rohit Yadav rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
tremendous love story and a struggle of a hero between honour and love.
a woman who has been able to dominate wold's most powerful emperor and politician julius caesar can't resist her true love towards mark antony
the play is composed in a better way than antony and cleopatre written by the magician william shakespeare
Guy
Jan 20, 2010 Guy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was/is held up as one of the purest examples of neo-classical writing., and I found it to be one of the worst pieces of 'official' British canon writers I've ever read. My university prof was a huge fan of the book, and I didn't do well in that course.
Judy
May 16, 2008 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A powerful tragedy - very interesting to contrast with Shakespeare's 'Antony and Cleopatra'. I seem to be enjoying tragedies more than comedies during my current stint of play-reading - probably because the tragedies are the ones with the great poetry.
Jessica
Aug 06, 2007 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: plays, shakespeare
An interesting retelling of Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra with an attempt to follow the dramatic unities. It's interesting mostly for comparison - it doesn't work nearly as well as Shakespeare's version.
Rozonda
Beautiful and dignified play about Antony and Cleopatra's tragedy. Though much inferior to Shakespeare's , it is a very interesting complement to it (the two plays used to be played alternately by the same company)
Resa
Nov 18, 2010 Resa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel in love with Cleopatra and was annoyed at the wimpy Marc Antony. Dryden added his own style to this classic story and it was wonderful. A little hard to get through at points, but worth it.
Menna Kh.
Apr 11, 2011 Menna Kh. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, drama
Bias towards the Roman empire, misjudges the Egyptian role and majesty of Cleopatra. But that's an element in the Augustan age.
It shows that the love of the great is for sure a ruin.
Qhlueme
Alas that so many great works are not performed,
or if performed, performed so rarely,
and so distantly, that few have the opporunity
to enjoy them.
Erik
Apr 27, 2012 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first Dryden I read. It was bold of him to do the same subject as Shakespeare, but he held his own.
Lizzie
I much preferred Shakespeares version of Antony and Cleopatra to Drydens.
Courtney
Wilson, John Harold
Six Restoration Plays

In compilation only.
Sylvie
Jan 23, 2013 Sylvie rated it it was ok
Shakespeare is better. I can't seem to be able to stand Dryden.
Stephanie
  • The School for Scandal
  • The Revenger's Tragedy
  • Some Fruits of Solitude
  • The Beaux' Stratagem

John Dryden (19 August [O.S. 9 August] 1631 – 12 May [O.S. 1 May] 1700) was an English poet, literary critic, translator, and playwright who was made Poet Laureate in 1668. He is seen as dominating the literary life of Restoration England to such a point that the period came
More about John Dryden...

“Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below.”
34 likes
“Welcome, thou kind deceiver!
Thou best of thieves: who, with an easy key,
Dost open life, and, unperceived by us,
Even steal us from ourselves.”
12 likes