Start by marking “I Bought Andy Warhol” as Want to Read:
I Bought Andy Warhol

I Bought Andy Warhol

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  227 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
In 1987 art dealer Richard Polsky set aside $100,000 to purchase for his private collection a painting by famed Pop artist Andy Warhol - a process that took him 12 years. His journey, spanning the art world of the go-go 1980s to the recession of the 1990s, is recounted here.
Published June 1st 2003 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about I Bought Andy Warhol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Bought Andy Warhol

Jessica Behrendsen
Probably the most self-indulgent book of all time. I has money! I buy paintings!
Alyson Stanfield
Mar 21, 2012 Alyson Stanfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You want the gossip on the big art market? Richard Polsky gives you a behind-the-scenes view of what goes on and how deals get made. Very easy reading that is enjoyable if sometimes unbelievable.
Mike
Mar 04, 2009 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Generally unflattering inside view of the art world as conniving, desperate playground for the wealthy and desperate.
Wing
Aug 03, 2007 Wing rated it did not like it
Shelves: for-ass-wiping
This is a self-indulgent piece of shit that's not worth the paper that it is printed on.
Alexandra
Jul 16, 2008 Alexandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining book about the inner-workings of the art world. The author chronicles his decades-long hunt for a Warhol to call his own, and this thread ties together the otherwise disparate tales of eccentricity and immaturity that commercial dealers and collectors of art call business as usual. Polsky and the other inhabitants of this odd but still commercial milieu relish storytelling, and several of his stories constitute retellings making this a kind of "greatest of" compilation of art-wor ...more
katie
A totally entertaining account of the art world/market in the '80s and '90s - for me, particularly because of my professional relationship with Jim Corcoran, one if the dealers that is subject of a few of Polsky's fluff-y stories. Unlike many of the other reviewers, I don't find this book horrifying as an account of the art world, and I think this is the case because I don't live in an idealistic bubble. Instead, I choose to take an active role in this field, participating in the market (hopeful ...more
Ross Tindale
Dec 08, 2014 Ross Tindale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Polsky takes the reader on a twelve year journey to purchase the right Warhol for his personal collection which culminates with his purchase of the 12"x12" green Fright Wig for $47,500. Throughout the book, Polsky, an art dealer gives valuable background on life as a dealer and Andy Warhol's works. At one point in the book while Warhol was still alive, he bought a small piece and Andy signed it in front of him. If it were me, that would be the piece I would want back in my collection. Andy passe ...more
Sissy
Apr 17, 2009 Sissy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me horrified with the art world in a way that nothing ever has before. Not art school, not gallery life, not working at a contemporary art museum had the negative impact that this book did. It depicts a culture of greasy speculation who trade art like stocks. And the worst part was the author tries to maintain he is "different" throughout the book, if by different you mean willing to write a poorly written book about the lifestyle then i guess he is.
I had never imagined that the
Tommy Bat-Blog Brookshire
I gave this book 5 stars because I really enjoyed it. This book was written by an Art Dealer who knows most of the Art Market's movers & shakers. This "inside information" was a lot of fun. Then, of course, there's all the talk ( and history )about the work of Andy Warhol.

Basically the book is about the Author's quest to find the perfect Warhol painting to buy. Most people think you need a ton of money to purchase fine art like this but you also need to be well connected too.
Samantha Alfrey
May 23, 2012 Samantha Alfrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A super fast and fun read about the world of an art dealer hoping to buy himself an Andy Warhol. He describes art business through anecdotes, showing that art does not play by any sort of normal business rules. Between flaky business deals and sneaking off to sit on Jackson Pollock’s toilet, Polsky informs his readers about what it really takes to buy a Warhol, how to avoid fakes, and other interesting art historical information.
Gabrielle
Oct 09, 2009 Gabrielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-history
He survived the Japanese crash of the early 90's. Richard Polsky is an insider without the attitude. A long time resident of the rt world circuit means he knows the ropes and isn't afraid to poke fun at all out little tribal rituals. I suggest new art dealers read this book - if only to see if they have the nerves for the business....
Colleen
Aug 09, 2009 Colleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-history
An engaging look at the market for Warhol's work between 1980 and 1999. Polsky describes the zany art world characters who buy and sell. He also offers brutally honest critiques of major galleries in New York and L.A. If you're interested in the messed-up business of dealing "blue chip" modern and contemporary art, this book is for you.
Liz Watkin
Jan 04, 2012 Liz Watkin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really opened up the world of art dealing to me, however I couldn't quite get over how gullible Polsky seemed on occasion! Thoroughly entertaining. If you think being an art dealer is glamorous and fun, Richard Polsky reveals the ugly truth with a deft pen.
Britt
Oct 07, 2009 Britt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the review I read called this book "Breezy" and there is really no other word to describe it. Light and fun with just the smallest bits of art world learning buried under layers of fluff and anecdote. A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.
Andrew
Mar 26, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bitchy? Yes. Gossipy? Yes. Full of really well told stories about the art world - yes yes yes! It was a fun book to read and I ended up learning a lot from Polsky. A great vacation/beach/sitting on the bus read.
Steven
Jul 07, 2009 Steven is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-hiatus
This book highlights that the concerns of anyone who can even consider buying anything with price which has six numbers in it and no decimal, despite how bourgeois I wish I was, are completely foreign to me.
Elizabeth
Both "12 Million Dollar Stuffed Shark" (Don THompson) and "7 Days in the Art World" (Sarah Thornton) are more interesting, better written, and less self-congratulatory.
Evan
Mar 24, 2007 Evan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-non-fiction
Not the best writing in the world, but great insight into the world of buying expensive modern art. Definitely worth reading if you're interested in contemporary art.
Toula
Jan 16, 2011 Toula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in an afternoon. I was both repelled and rather strangely drawn to it. Poorly written, but some interesting stories about the art world.
Katherine
Interesting look into the art world (a lot of whos who and whats what), but slow at times--some of the anecdotes seem stale by the end.
Colleen
Mar 02, 2008 Colleen rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, but of course I am very interested in collecting art.
Mark
Jan 05, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting inside view of the business side of the art world.
Jennafield
Nov 15, 2010 Jennafield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting view of the art dealing world.
Richard Deming
A bit trashy but fun.
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Jana
Jana added it
Apr 03, 2016
K D
K D marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Sonaar Luthra
Sonaar Luthra marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Amy Wessan
Amy Wessan rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Livs
Livs rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Picasso & Lump: A Dachshund's Odyssey
  • The Daily Practice of Painting: Writings 1960-1993
  • The Artist's Reality: Philosophies of Art
  • What Good Are the Arts?
  • The Art of the Steal
  • The Drawing Book
  • Institutional Time: A Critique of Studio Art Education
  • A Brief History of Curating: By Hans Ulrich Obrist
  • De Kooning: An American Master
  • The Urban Sketching Handbook: People and Motion: Tips and Techniques for Drawing on Location
  • Francis Bacon: Anatomy Of An Enigma