Pylon, (1935)

Pylon, (1935)

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  27 reviews

One of the few of William Faulkner’s works to be set outside his fictional Yoknapatawpha County, Pylon, first published in 1935, takes place at an air show in a thinly disguised New Orleans named New Valois. An unnamed reporter for a local newspaper tries to understand a very modern ménage a trois of flyers on the brainstorming circuit. These characters, Faulkner said, “we

Published March 1st 1987 by Routledge (first published 1935)

Christopher Sutch
According to Polk, Faulkner wrote this novel in three months as a break from composing _Absalom, Absalom!_, and he revised in galley proofs. Considering that, the corrected text (which restores Faulkner's original sentence and paragraph lengths, as well as some four-letter words the original publisher found offensive) is, all things considered, a very good novel. It's certainly not Faulkner's best, probably because of the contemporary subject matter and issues (airplane racing, the poor state of...more
Palma
no es una de las novelas + conocidas de faulkner, y debe ser pq no llega al grado de genialidad de otras obras suyas. es una novela q al ppio no se entiende mucho nada (como pasa en el ruido y la furia, mientras agonizo, etc), pero va creciendo en intensidad y termina bien. un faulkner mediano sigue siendo igualmente mejor que muchos otros escritores.
Andy
Yair! Yair! After watching Douglas Sirk’s bizarre masterpiece “The Tarnished Angels” I sought out “Pylon”, the source for this weirdo extravaganza.
The dialogue in the book maintains that laughable “Showgirls” vibe in spades = “Yair! Why, they don’t have blood running through their veins, but crankcase oil, see?”, or “He was born on a parachute in an aircraft hangar, yair!!!”
I’m assured from the cover blurbs that William Faulkner is a “master” and a “genius”. That makes him almost as superhuman...more
Sbate
Aug 31, 2007 Sbate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have brains that are on
Shelves: goodstuff
This book could eat my brain. I do not like erotic stuff in books I just don't it makes me board I mean it board board like I yawn but this book had a part about a woman who changed her cloths. It was so incredible it made me shake. I shook like I was well moved to the innermost core. I have a hard time with this book because I do not read faulker well. I get stumped I like to be entertained and after they start flying and own boots I get all drifty
Joe Davis
There is a description of a man going through the urges of an alcoholic that made me fall in love with the writing of Faulkner all over again. Faulkner is able to do that with almost every book.
Brandon
Mar 16, 2013 Brandon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers, Modernists, frustrated journalists, romantic aviiators
Recommended to Brandon by: Hemingway
I picked up Pylon because Hemingway said the novel captured aviation so well that he couldn't top it. Faulkner does capture the barnstorming spirit of aviation that included crashes. "[T]rying to make his living out of the air," the pilot risks a gravity-dominated life for the moments when they defy it.

While Pylon seems like mediocre Faulkner, it has elements that seem useful if contrasted to his other books. The plot is seen largely through the point of view of an alcoholic reporter who becomes...more
carl  theaker

The introduction ominously states that 'Pylon' is Faulkner's 2nd worst book,
which depending on what you think of him, could be saying something!

Friends and I were discussing the old biplanes and one of them mentioned
having read this book and that it was about barnstorming. I thought I'd read
enough Faulkner in my life, not really feeling extremely about him in either
direction, so I gave it a shot.

It is readable, you can actually tell what's going on, which is notable in
the Faulkner context. Th...more
Jeff
"Pylon", William Faulkner,1935. Little Billy Falkner wanted to be a pilot more than anything. During WWI only British Commonwealth citizens were eligible for enlistment in the RAF. Hoping to become an aviator, Faulkner rushed to Canada, perfected an English accent, added the letter 'u' to his name {thinking it looked more English}, and was some how miraculously accepted for flight training. Faulkner sent home photographs of himself in a lieutenants uniform complete with pilot wings and a walking...more
Thomas
Oh, Faulkner was not afraid to churn out pulp when he could only rub pennies together. I don't think he was shameless, I think he had pretty good take on the publishing biz and the worthiness of critical distinctions between literature and mere hackery. And, I believe, he was cynical enough to on occasion calculate and deploy Elevated Prose when angling for a particular kind of critical acclaim. The kind that wins Nobels.

The only elevation here is towards hysteria. "Mass Market Paperback" is Pyl...more
K.M. Weiland
Reading Faulkner is very much like walking through someone else's hallucinatory dream. Confusing at best, and, if you blink, you'll lose your place entirely. Pylon lies somewhere in the middle of Faulkner's extremes. It's more comprehensible than, say, Fable (though one has to wonder, is it possible to be *less* comprehensible than Fable?), but still a more difficult read than the likes of the Snopes trilogy. At the end of the book, what we're left with are a whole lot of words about some very s...more
Terry
This guy can write! The odd punctuation is calculated and effective at making good imagery of perspectives. Pylon is about a Southern reporter and a group of airplane racers set around 1930, when airplanes were new. That story is interesting, but the underlying story is about a man's different components - the reporter's represented by the different members of the race team. It is also about what drives each of these components. I came to see this slowly and found the book sad because man is bas...more
Paddy
Oct 10, 2007 Paddy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who think they don't like Faulkner
What a find! My library had this book on the shelf, I'd never heard of it, it was an old edition. It's soo different from most of Faulkner's work. An early book, it's set in New Orleans and the protagonist is a reporter who encounters the marginal drifters involved in a flying show. Early days of airplane, early days of Faulkner's writing, New Orleans is already old, this is a super book. Like Elizabeth Spencer's The Snare, if you love New Orleans, you'll love this book.
Bryce
Yar. This word has become a mainstay in the voacabulary located within my head. It seems this book has stayed with me more than many others, so I will review it favorably althought at the time I recall it being somewhat of a letdown as far as Faulkner goes. A difficult life of a traveling trick pilot his hanger-on wife or girlfriend and her child. Another fantastic story from Faulkner of a hardscrabble existence.
Barry
Pretty good. A definite departure, though, for Faulkner both stylistically and thematically. As far as content goes, I compare it more to "Flags in the Dust" than any other of his books. I would recommend this for people who have read most of Faulkner's other stuff and are looking for a deeper immersion. That being said, it maybe isn't essential Faulkner.
Maria
Jul 01, 2007 Maria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a challenging read
The density and minutiae of the narrative language is like a gauze that a person must read through in order to get to the larger picture of this story, but it is so worth the effort! A true masterpiece of complex and transcendent prose with many layers to its narrative perspective. It's also funny as hell.
Garry Evens
Faulkner is my favorite writer, but Pylon isn't very good. I would have given it two and a half stars if I could, and only that because I felt the last chapter redeemed the novel to some extent.

I will add, however, that I would gladly read Pylon three more times before reading Mosquitoes again.
Seán
Essentially, it's a story about impossible love/irrepressible desire as experienced by a hapless nitwit. Even with Faulknerian prolixity and the Mississipian's sometimes impenetrable approach to crafting a narrative, the book pays off, and should leave one hungry for more of his meatier stuff.
Simone
I'll have to put this on hold for a while until I get a hold of a decent copy, got a Danish translation by mistake. Thought it wouldn't be a problem at first, but I totally can't focus on the story when all the characters speak in 70s Copenhagen slang, it's just too damn weird.
Esteban Gordon
Certainly a lot more difficult a read than some of Faulkner's other works - particularly in the beginning, but I'd still say an excellent work in the end.
Alcibar
Mas que una reseña, presumo que de esta novela poseo la primera edición, aunque no en el mejor de los estados, pues fue adquirida en una librería de viejo.
Stephen
I began this one, but was unable to finish. Not sure why, it just didn't happen.
Cristi
at a certain point, around page 100, i found myself skipping pages
Jesus Sard
Estoy leyendo una ediciòn de Aguilar del año 1962
Rafa
Le faltó peso al argumento.
José Manuel
José Manuel marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
  • Conversations with Professor Y
  • We Never Make Mistakes: Two Short Novels
  • Glory
  • 1919
  • Kennedy's Last Days: The Assassination That Defined a Generation
  • How German is It (Wie Deutsch ist es)
  • Rhoda: A Life in Stories
  • Full of Life
  • Extraordinary Powers
  • Miss Lonelyhearts and A Cool Million
  • Herself Surprised
  • The Fall of the House of Zeus: The Rise and Ruin of America's Most Powerful Trial Lawyer
  • The Children
  • A Curtain of Green and Other Stories
  • A Confederate General from Big Sur/Dreaming of Babylon/The Hawkline Monster
  • Sleep Has His House
  • Born Palestinian, Born Black
  • The Seventh Horse And Other Tales
William Cuthbert Faulkner was a Nobel Prize-winning American novelist and short story writer. One of the most influential writers of the twentieth century, his reputation is based mostly on his novels, novellas, and short stories. He was also a published poet and an occasional screenwriter.
The majority of his works are based in his native state of Mississippi. Though his work was published as earl...more
More about William Faulkner...
The Sound and the Fury As I Lay Dying Light in August Absalom, Absalom! A Rose for Emily