Start by marking “The Stranger on the Road to Emmaus” as Want to Read:
The Stranger on the Road to Emmaus

The Stranger on the Road to Emmaus

It's been called the most misunderstood book in history.

Wars have been fought in its name, scandals have been precipitated by it, politics shaped and reshaped at its word. Theologians have both defended and reviled it. Skeptics have done the same. If you are a typical member of the human race, you have often been perplexed by all the fuss surrounding the Bible. The questi

Published by Goodseed Intl (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger on the Road to Emmaus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stranger on the Road to Emmaus

Amanda
Sep 18, 2007 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: looking to understand more of God
This book helped me understand salvation. The reason Jesus had to die on the cross for my sins. Why I was forgiven when He died.
John Brackbill
This is a very complex three-star rating. There were many places that it was a 5. There were some important areas that it was a 1.

Though the concerns I have are just large enough outweighing the positives that I would not give this book to an unbeliever for evangelistic purposes, here are the reasons I would give it to a believer in order to help them communicate the Word of God evangelistically.
1. The author has an engaging writing style that brings clarity.
2. Though the book is not a big pi
Dan
Dec 14, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a simple but complete description of the Bible's good news
I hate tracts! They try to take the amazing good news of salvation and sell it as a cheap 30-second or less advertisement... not enough for true seekers; just enough to annoy like junk mail. This book is a great contrast! - it gives a simple and yet complete explanation of the main messages of the Bible! The neatly-packaged chapters build one principle at a time to give the real seeker the purpose of Christ and the cross. The book is good for individuals and group studies.
Joel
Feb 12, 2014 Joel rated it liked it
John R. Cross is an engaging writer and the book it interesting to say the least. While I disagree with this theology and have some issues with his sources, the book is very reader friendly. Cross espouses a literal reading of the bible and goes to great length to support his belief, including offering "proof" that dinosaurs and humans existed together, continental drift was a result of the flood, that all people can trace their DNA to common male and female ancestors, and more. The problem is, ...more
JJ Vancil
This book is simple, clear & consistent from start to finish. It does not get caught up in the more complex realities of the Bible, but simply communicates the heart of its message. It addresses the problem of sin, the plan of salvation, and the solution in Jesus Christ. While not a riveting read, it does capture the basic tenants of the Christian faith. For anyone seeking to know more about the Bible and what it communicates about Jesus, this is a great read.
Lisa
May 17, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I love this book because it allows me to see the Bible as a whole; not as a bunch of stories put into a book. This would be a great book for a new Christian or for someone exploring the idea of Christianity. It is an overview of the Bible in it simplest form. When Christianity starts feeling too complicated, I like to read it to bring me back to the basics.
Choong Chiat
Jul 30, 2011 Choong Chiat rated it really liked it
Firstly, for those unaware, the title and concept of this book is derived from the Gospel of Luke (24:13-27). In that part of the Gospel of Luke, two disciples of Jesus, travelling to Emmaus, met a stranger (who is later revealed to be the supposedly resurrected Jesus) who explained the meaning of the Scriptures to them.

Moving on, I must express my scepticism regarding the presence of a singular message/theme running throughout the entire Bible. Evidently, as the author himself admits, the Bible
Melanie Kirk
Sep 05, 2014 Melanie Kirk rated it it was amazing
Superb book. Brings everything together and shares so many insights that I never knew before. I used some of the background in this book as a platform for my book for children, The Bible's Story. Discover more at www.thebiblesstory.com
Tom Park
Jul 23, 2014 Tom Park rated it it was amazing
A wonderful approach to knowing the story and message of the Bible using the two disciples on the road to Emmaus and the "stranger" who joined them and explained the Word. Great read, but a slow one if you want to get the most out of it.
MerrilyMarilee
Jul 13, 2016 MerrilyMarilee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the second best book in the world! Hyperbole intended but sincere! This book so eloquently explains the Gospel. A must-read for any who are sincerely seeking to understand God's Word and plan.
William Jones
I love this book! It is a must if you want to understand how to tie together the Old and New Testaments. Summary: It goes from creation to the cross. In the end you will behold the true Lamb of God - Jesus.
shana ricker
May 30, 2015 shana ricker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended

Used in a small group, great insight and understanding of the bible's message. Recommended for person or small group use.
Bob Allen
Nov 28, 2013 Bob Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a better overall understanding of the whole Bible and God's plan
Cross starts from the New Testament event of Jesus explaining to the 2 disciples on the road to Emmaus how all of Scripture pointed to the necessity of his sacrificial death on the cross and traces God's plan for redemption through the Old and New Testaments. He does an excellent job. There were a couple of minor interpretations/applications with which I differed, but they are not substantial. Cross incorporates the purpose of the Law to show us our sin, he touches on the doctrine of original si ...more
Melanie
Sep 02, 2016 Melanie rated it it was amazing
I read this book in college years ago. I remember that it was a great tool to teach the Bible.
Shannon
Oct 09, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid explanation of what the Bible actually says. It's not in-depth theology, but it's necessary foundational theology, which is essential to understand before the rest, when you're taking a look at Christianity -whether as a believer, a critic, or just someone curious about the basics. I know a lot of people who claim to be Christians who haven't bothered to learn even these basic facts about what's in the Book, so I tip my hat to anyone who's willing to obtain knowledge, regardless of their ...more
Jamal Kim
Aug 13, 2013 Jamal Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this book is NOT biblical. it is cultural, it is meant to entangle a large audience intto "easy" or "convenient" christianity. the abundance of feeding the good and fun stuff is clearly exagerrated and the gospel message of Jesus Christ is clearly put on hold. the concept of sin appears watered down, not emphasized enough. for those who want to read a simple bible rather than seek, hit, scratch, claw, fight, argue for the heavy burdens of the biblical life, then it can be simply equated that...
Phyllis
Jan 31, 2013 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Very well written and insightful
This is a good book that I would recommend for both newer and more seasoned Christians. John makes it easier to understand and follow some of the stories and elements in the Bible.
He helps his readers understand the reasoning behind different things that were/are done. (for example blood sacrifices, and sabbath days)
Aaron
Feb 18, 2014 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Great book. I wish everyone I know would read it
Alicia Kitchen
Nov 16, 2012 Alicia Kitchen rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing. Good for believers and skeptics. This is has opened up my eyes to the bible as a whole. It has made it more understandable and has really been a blessing. My copy is all hightlighted and marked up! I will use this as a resource and re-read it over and over.
Afton Rorvik
Jun 12, 2016 Afton Rorvik rated it really liked it
This book explains the story of the Bible in a way that makes sense to people who don't know the Bible well. Great book to study in a group. I recently studied it with a group of women in a Beyond Alpha class.
Susan
Jul 10, 2009 Susan is currently reading it
This book is fantastic for someone who "won't" read the Bible but will read a book ABOUT the Bible. It actually "connects the dots" regarding the need for blood sacrifice, etc.
Lc
May 02, 2008 Lc rated it really liked it
Gave me a clearer picture of what happened on the road to Emmaus.....
Lori Henry
Nov 06, 2013 Lori Henry rated it it was amazing
Great book for new believers/seekers, and a great review for those who have studied the bible before. Starting at creation, gives a good overview of Biblical truths.
Selina Griffin
Dec 20, 2012 Selina Griffin rated it it was amazing
A friend recommended this, really enjoyed it. The message is clear and I enjoyed the writing style and diagrams/illustrations. Definitely recommend it.
Luella
Jun 27, 2013 Luella rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Luella by: 25
I loved this book. Excellent study for someone who doesn't know too much about the bible or anything. Has companion workbook you can buy to answer questions.
Andy Kline
May 30, 2009 Andy Kline rated it it was amazing
If you want to learn about biblical Christianity without denominational spin, this is the book for you. Easy reading, clear and accurate.
Jason Snyder
Oct 05, 2011 Jason Snyder rated it it was amazing
Salvation is so simple! A must read, even for believers. The author does a great job connecting the entire Old Testament to the Gospel.
Kara
Apr 13, 2012 Kara rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, a very simplistic way to walk through and explain the entire Bible. Puts the focus on Christ and not on us.
Steven Venable
May 17, 2008 Steven Venable rated it really liked it
A very good book to let a new Christian or a seeker read. It covers the plan of Salvation from beginning to end.
Vanda Bromwich
Dec 12, 2013 Vanda Bromwich rated it liked it
An interpretation of the Bible, concentrating mainly on the early books of the Old Testament and the New Testament.
  • The Complete Green Letters
  • Eric Liddell: The Scottish Hero of the 1924 Paris Olympics Whose Story Was Portrayed in "Chariots of Fire"
  • Found in Him: The Joy of the Incarnation and Our Union with Christ
  • Living Beyond the Limits: A Life in Sync with God
  • I Became a Christian and All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt: Replacing Souvenir Religion with Authentic Spiritual Passion
  • Standing Strong: How to Resist the Enemy of Your Soul
  • The Evidence Bible: Irrefutable evidence for the thinking mind
  • True Discipleship
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Four Views on the Spectrum of Evangelicalism
  • Know What You Believe: Connecting Faith and Truth
  • The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment
  • How To Worship Jesus Christ
  • Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry
  • The Calvary Road
  • Can I Be Sure I'm Saved? (Crucial Questions, #7)
  • Answers to Tough Questions Skeptics Ask About the Christian Faith
  • Meet the Puritans: With a Guide to Modern Reprints

“Gifts are free. If you work for a gift, it is no longer a gift. Gifts in the truest sense are undeserved. If we feel we deserve it, then it ceases to be a gift and becomes an award. The eternal life God gives us is truly a gift because we don’t deserve it in any way.” 2 likes
“God came to earth to personally explain how man could be saved from eternal death. Think of it this way. You see a bulldozer clearing a road, but in its path lies an anthill. You know the ants are about to be destroyed, but what can you do about it? The only answer would be to become an ant and warn them in the way ants warn each other of impending danger. …Jesus came into the world to save sinners… 1 Timothy 1:15 NASB” 0 likes