Start by marking “A Cage of Butterflies ” as Want to Read:
A Cage of Butterflies

A Cage of Butterflies

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Mikki and the others live at 'the farm' - an advanced learning facility, a think-tank for a bunch of young people with very high IQs. But what is really going on at the farm? And what about the five much younger children known as the Babies, frail as butterflies?
Published January 1st 1992 by University of Queensland Pr (Australia)

To ask other readers questions about A Cage of Butterflies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cage of Butterflies

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina MarchettaThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakSaving Francesca by Melina MarchettaGraffiti Moon by Cath CrowleyTomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden
Favourite Aussie YA books
115th out of 267 books — 767 voters
Tomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenOn the Jellicoe Road by Melina MarchettaThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakLooking for Alibrandi by Melina MarchettaSaving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
Best Australian Young Adult Books
46th out of 103 books — 109 voters

More lists with this book...

Shirley Marr
Crazy scientist raising a Think Tank of insufferable self-righteous young geniuses who don't actually seem that smart and there's some babies with big heads... something something add some quasi-pseudo-science and an explosion and... you know, I feel sorry for the bad guy.

I tend to be a "Book Optimist". A Cage of Butterflies though... I think suffers from being dated. I think it came from an era when teen novels were "like this". Choppy, inelegant Multiple POVs and chapters. With as much literar
Vee
ok so first of all, let me just say that i had to read this book for my english class. the prologue opens with a mirroring technique where similar events are occuring hence the name a beginning and an end. i found the beginning very interesting as it captivated me from the alluring prologue, so i read on and then i was introduced to different character portrayed though their POV's. they were alright but what brian caswell didn't do was expand on them. i wanted to know more about the characters, ...more
Sirmat
Although the book kept me engaged enough to complete it, I found a few plot points confusing --(How'd they blow up the boat/get it out to sea with no-one on it)-- and the amount of characters is almost rial to some Final Fantasy games --(in other words there are a lot of people)-- but only 3 of the Teenagers, 2 of the 'Babies', and 2 of the researchers played major roles beyond... being mentioned --(Oh they have a math genius? Good thing she has no lines of diolouge)--.

To sum up, could have been
John (J.J.) Sheahan
An awesome book, stylistically.
S
I have to say for the reviews provided on the book cover I expected more. While the book presents an interesting idea: with the Babies, it doesn't get explored anywhere near full potential. The plot is meager at it's best, giving hint for more it could be but really it an extremely easy thing. While the many first persons may make the story confusing I didn't find it so. On the whole the book was overly simple and rather boring. I specifically disliked the ending, which was too "happy ending" fo ...more
Yvette Adams
I don't necessarily think Craswell is the best storyteller, but he sure has some interesting concepts! I read this with my daughter and we found it really interesting. Better than Dreamslip, not quite as good as Merryll of the Stones.
Caitlin
The first time I read it, it was really boring. It was confusing with the changes of perspectives and how it switches from character to character. I thought the book could have some more depth, maybe a bit more suspense. I have to read it a second time, and it seems more interesting as I know how it ends. When you read it a second time, if you were confused the first time, it helps you to understand it a bit more.
Yvette
At first I thought it was very slow and hard to get into, but after I read a little further it got rather interesting. I will say that it had me confused on numerous occasions just due to the perspective changes and the foreshadowing at the beginning but it all gets cleared up the further you read. I thought that the plot was great with an awesome climax. A great book, worth the read.
Timmy Naces
The only thing that I love about this book was the uniqueness of the story. I love how the author's imagination is working, but one thing that brought this book down was the constant boringness of the story. It was good actually, don't get me wrong, but he should've made the conversation between the characters more interesting and relevant to teenagers.
Olivia J
I really enjoyed this book. I loved how it was written - the tense - the perspective -- it kept switching, I got the true idea of how the characters were feeling and what they were thinking. I really enjoyed the plot. I loved the ending, and thought the whole book was written really well. This book was definitly worth reading.
Vix Richardson
A contemporary young adult novel that raises the issues of morality and ethics in the character voices that the targeted reader (13-17) are able to relate to, although there is an appeal to older readers as it presents the issues as a lighter read. The characters have depth, personality and humor.
flawless kitten
I read this book because im going to be tested on it in English class when school starts again, for the first time ever i liked a book that was suggested by the school, i dont usually like books that im forced to read but this book, this was something special, i loved it.
Sally
Not required reading - for a book report in year 9 ISA. It was the big thing going round at the time so of course I had to read it as well, several times. Trippy, and should possibly be revisited now I am older. I loved it in year 9!
Wendy
This book was okay. The plot seemed familiar, the story did not have a lot of depth, but it was an interesting idea and played out interestingly enough to keep me reading.
Bianca
I am reading this book in English it acctually wasn't that bad, not the best book ever but for a book I have had to read in class its good.
Sheldon
Amazing book. Ending could have been more vibrant but this was a book that stuck to your mind and you will always think about it
Madison
I loved this book a lot. it is a really great book and interesting. I recommend you read this book
Alicia Green
i had to read it for English. Well written, interesting plot. I love the way he writes
C.
Doesn't stand up so well to re-reading; and I have the Cultural Cringe.
The only book assigned by school that I've actually enjoyed.
andie
different cover
Jazz
Jazz marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Katie Smith
Katie Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Cathy
Cathy added it
Jan 26, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Lucia Kelly
Lucia Kelly marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
  • The Life and Times of Gracie Faltrain (Gracie Faltrain, #1)
  • Thunderwith
  • Fly Away Peter
  • Darkbane (The Legendsong, #3)
  • Checkers
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • Del-Del
  • My Sister Sif
  • The Isis Pedlar (Isis, #3)
  • Storm Boy
  • My Grandma Lived in Gooligulch
  • Scorched
  • People Might Hear You
  • The Three Loves of Persimmon
  • The Puzzle Ring
  • When We Have Wings
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
Brian Caswell was born in Wales and moved to Australia at the age of twelve. He began his working life as a teacher, resigning in 1990 to become a full-time writer.
His first novel, Merryll of the Stones, was Honour Book (Older Readers) in the 1990 Children's Book Council Book of the Year Awards. He has since published three more books, A Dream of Stars (1991), A Cage of Butterflies (1992), which w
More about Brian Caswell...
Only the Heart Double Exposure Merryll Of The Stones Dreamslip Deucalion