Start by marking “Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)” as Want to Read:
Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)

Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington #11)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  3,689 ratings  ·  120 reviews
Two-Dollar Bill delivers all the storytelling twists and whip-smart banter readers have come to love in Stuart Woods's thrillers, as suave Manhattan cop-turned-lawyer Stone Barrington is back on his home turf caught between a filthy rich conman-who's just become his client-and a beautiful prosecutor.
Published October 4th 2005 by Signet (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Two Dollar Bill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Dollar Bill

Jerry
Decent enough Barrington, twisty suspense / entertainment!

Maybe the most obvious thing to say, especially to those like us that have read every book in Woods' growing bibliography, including all the Stone Barrington series, is that this one is as predictably good as most of them. While sometimes our playboy sleuth's antics are just too good to be true, his friendly band of regulars - Dino, Elaine, Lance Cabot (CIA), ex- Arrington, and a new love interest, NY ADA Tiffany Baldwin - help conspire t
Mick
It's another Stone Barrington novel. So I knew it would be fun to read and he didn't disappoint me. Here is a story where he gets the CIA, FBI and the NYPD involved (did I mention more sex). So as you might guess Stone winds up putting the bad guy away. You knew it was going to happen.

Here are a few of his more memorable lines.

"I'm afraid that if I breathe the air I might leave here as a tight-assed, right-wing, fundamentalist, anti-civil libertarian with a propensity for singing gospel music.
Sheila
This was my first Stuart Woods novel and I liked it a lot. Fast paced cops and robbers with some humor thrown in.
Joe White
This was a typical Stone Barrington book. The action sequence in the last 100 pages was a little over the top for action, cop inter-agency slips, a too smart adversary with such well executed plans that the novel became almost like a Cussler superhero action sequence.

Tiffany as an Attorney general turning on Stone was not handled well. She was used as a 2d cardboard character to decorate the scenery and page fill up to the halfway point.

Stone as an action hero that ends up as the sole focal poin
Genie
Its a typical evening in New York and ex-detective-turned-lawyer Stone Barrington is enjoying a leisurely dinner with his best friend, police lieutenant Dino Bacchetti, in their favorite restaurant, Elaine's. Suddenly he is approached by the head of the law firm, Bill Eggers, and a new client, Billy Bob Barnstormer. Barnstormer has requested Stone by name. This loud, obnoxious Texan wants wants to keep Stone on retainer and offers him a $50,000 check on the spot. From the beginning Stone is skep ...more
Katy
Stone Barrington is such a smuck...just ask his friend Dino, sometimes boss Bill, and Elaine the restauranteer.

Bill gives Stone a millionaire client, Billy Bob Barnstedder. (No kidding...even Stone found the name unrealistic.) Billy Bob is on a con, and he fools *and kills) a few people before Stone has had enough, quits being his lawyer, and then exposes him as a fraud. Now Billy Bob is really mad, and he intends to kill Stone.

This is an earlier Stone Barrington novel. And I still would like t
Judy-Sug
The Stone Barrington series is always fun. Barrington is a former cop now lawyer who generally finds himself in unusual circumstances. In this case, a supposedly client, Billy Bob Stormchaser, turns into a #1 con artist and arms seller. The NY police and CIA get involved. Of course, the good guy always wins but it is fun getting there.
lynn
Really enjoyed this fast-paced murder mystery. Main character Stone Barrington is an ex-cop attorney who manages to get a new client who is no end of trouble from the onset. Reminiscent of Robert Parker with a little more plot and detail. Same touches of humor and irony. Fun read!
Carol Ann
Stone Barrington is always fun for an outing--lots of New York color, a hero who isn't terribly bright and manages to get into a lot of scrapes as a result. How did a lifelong New Yorker, and a lawyer and ex-cop to boot, end up so dangerously naive?
Will
The Billy Bob Barnstormer affair. Stone is thrown a new client, Billy Bob, who's need for representation is confusing. Billy's oil tycoon visage evaporates once investigation begins and his numerous aliases become known. Billy is exacting revenge against Stone for a prison mate named Mitteldorfer who held a grudge over his incarceration. Billy Bob snatches Arrington and Peter to negotiate surrender with Stone, but is outfoxed in a helicopter and falls 1000 ft into the Hudson. Along the way, new ...more
Bettie
I enjoy the Stone Barrington mysteries, having read 2 now, but sometimes I wonder about his crazy love life. Maybe if/when I read more of them, I'll get it more. More graphic sexually than they need to be, as far as I'm concerned.
Michael
A fun and thrilling ride until halfway through when the body count undermines the lightness. This is the 11th of the series of 22 featuring Stone Barrington, a loveable scoundrel and a former cop turned NYC lawyer who never has much trouble finding trouble or romance. This time he cruises along romancing the new District Attorney and cavorting nightly at fancy Elaine�s until he takes on a new rich Texan client who proves to be more than just an outrageous con-man. The dangerous cascade that emer ...more
Peter Charleston
Stuart Woods provides another thriller as Stone Barrington encounters a cunning individual with numerous identities. Continual action throughout the book provides an enjoyable reading adventure.
Sharon
Good story from beginning to end. It's really helpful to read the series in order, because there are some references to characters in other books that make more sense when you read them in order.
Laurel Wright
Surprisingly humorous repartee between Stone and his friends. This is only the 3rd Stuart Woods book I have read and as an audiobook, it is the best so far.
Jerry
I have read everyone of the Stone Barrington books up to this point in sequence. I have found them to be good reading. Plots are good, Mr Woods uses the consistant characters well,which make the books even better. I have found no dead spots in Mr. Woods writing and have really enjoyed the
series, to this point. I'm sure the rest will be just as interesting. I'm a 65 yr old retired male who has been reading detective and lawyer series for the past three years, ever since I found you can get books
Karen
I stopped reading Stone Barrington after the ridiculous and unsexy L. A. Dead, then gave him another try a year later with Dirty Work, which was more of the same. I stayed away almost two years this time. This book was still ridiculous, but with a wink, the author nearly comes right out and says he knows his plots are unbelievable. I've given up trying to remember Stone's history—romantic and otherwise—maybe that helps. (I'm pretty sure I've missed several books along the way.) This reader prono ...more
Ronn
Quick and easy, predictable but just engaging enough to want to finish reading. Like most of Woods' books, this would make a good book to read on a plane trip.
Vickie
May 22, 2014 Vickie added it
Always enjoy Stuart Woods Stone Barrington books. He's written better than Two Dollar Bill but still enjoyable.
Howard Brittain
Another enjoyable romp through murder and women. A superior plot this time. Light entertaining reading.
Donna
This was one of the best I have read so far in this series. I really liked how all three series were connected, bringing Holly and Ed into the story.
Cheryl
In this novel, Stone Barrington keeps finding himself looking like a smuck. And his friends keep pointing out to him that he is a smuck. But what can you do when a prostitute is found dead in your guest room?

You want police action? You'll get it here. You want the FBI? You'll get that, too. The frosting on the cake - Lance and the CIA are back in action telling Stone what to do.

Fun and games over, a serious situation is ahead of him - kidnapping, scams, murder, another kidnapping, and a helicopt
Harolynne
As always, Woods is loads of fun - and easy to read.
Trish (trishie7)
I've been reading them one after the other.. loving it!!!
David
I enjoy Stuart Woods and Stone Barrington and Elaines and Dino etc. This is another good offering. It does have the answer to an old question at the end. Enjoy.
Paul
Another Stone Barrington novel. A bit too improbable from time to time. "Amazing if true" came to mind a bit too often. Yet, I was carried along by the flow of the narrative and the interesting characters, never once considered aborting the mission.

Those requiring a change of scene for dialogue would be driven nuts. There must have been a couple of dozen dinners at Elaine's in NYC. Elaine herself briefly joined them occasionally for a few moments, acerbically exercising her owner's prerogative o
Dr. Thomas Wasser
This was one of the better Stone Barrington novels in my opinion. After I read the first two chapters or so I thought I was in trouble because Stuart tries to bring alive a character from Texas by using typical and somewhat annoying dialouge as to what he thinks Texans think and do and it was a failure. However, the book quickly moves past that and evolves into one of the better stories. Again, it is not a deep read but rather a beach, or airplane read where you can enjoy and pass it on to someo ...more
Chris
If you want serious deep plot, go somewhere else. If you're okay with, or even enthralled with, a few quite descriptive sexual scenes and some fun dialogue then go ahead and enjoy. Entertainment is the name of the game and every time I pick up a Stuart Woods book I am entertained. My wife won't read him because of his uppity disclaimer at the end of each book - don't call me, don't write me, you can send me an email but I probably won't reply. I am able to not let that bother me and enjoy the bo ...more
Greer Andjanetta
Another very readable and enjoyable book in the Stone Barrington series about a likeable con man who turns murderous.
Karen
I've always found Stuart Woods books to be highly entertaining and easy, quick reads. I picked this one up on a night when it was pouring rain outside and cold. So I got all cozy and warm in my chair and just enjoyed it. Revisiting Stone Barrington, his sidekick Dino, restauranteur Elaine, and on again/off again lover Arrington is like running into old friends. This book isn't going to change my life, but it definitely gave me a good laugh and a few hours of escape. Thanks Stuart!!!
  • Always A Lady
  • Confessions of a Backup Dancer
  • Lazarus
  • Guardian of Lies (Paul Madriani, #10)
  • Invisible Prey (Lucas Davenport, #17)
  • Exit Wounds (Joanna Brady, #11)
  • High Jinx: Blackford Oakes Mystery
  • A Dangerous Man
  • High Profile (Jesse Stone, #6)
  • More Natural Cures Revealed
  • The Associate (Amanda Jaffe, #2)
  • Devil's Corner
  • Beyond Suspicion (Jack Swyteck, #2)
  • Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)
  • Laugh Again
  • The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #7)
  • Parallel Lies
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)