Start by marking “Heat” as Want to Read:
Heat

Heat

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,780 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Ex-DEA agent Jesse Warden has seen enough of the inside of a solitary confinement cell to last him a lifetime. Or two lifetimes, which is the sentence he's serving after being convicted of a plan he was planning to commit, but never did. So when an old buddy shows up with a deal that could spring him from his hell behind bars, he's ready to listen.

To gain his freedom, Jess
Published February 16th 1995 by HarperTorch (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heat

The Book of Paul by Richard  LongHeavy Duty People by Iain ParkeA Reason to Live by Matthew IdenHeavy Duty Trouble by Iain ParkeHeavy Duty Attitude by Iain Parke
Crime Books That Should Be Movies
78th out of 219 books — 320 voters
Coyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
Mystery
119th out of 279 books — 249 voters

More lists with this book...

Maureen DeLuca
Apr 21, 2016 Maureen DeLuca rated it it was ok
This book, a stand alone novel- It is about an ex DEA agent Jesse Warden - who was sent to prison for killing his partner -( which he never did. ) A 'deal' comes along - where if he can infiltrate and destroy a heavily armed religious cult, he can win his freedom. The previous two infiltrators have disappeared; the cult leaders are smart, wealthy, and completely amoral; then as Woods is famous- there is a sexy, lady - and you know where that will lead. All in all it did keep my interest and I on ...more
Harry Lane
Jan 20, 2016 Harry Lane rated it liked it
Woods is a very prolific writer. His recent work strikes me as formulaic, albeit very readable. I like the Ed Eagle books and the Holly Barker books better than the Barrington series, but that may just be me. All of these strike me as superficial compared to his earlier works, of which this is one. There is a wealth of detail, the plot is clean (it develops much like a police procedural), character development shows a shrewd eye toward human nature, and tension builds right up to the epilogue.
Perry Reed
Mar 03, 2011 Perry Reed rated it really liked it
If you've ready one Stuart Woods book, you've pretty much read them all, although this is one of the few that doesn't feature one of Woods' usual main characters. Instead, it's about Jesse Warden, an ex-DEA agent who spent years in prison for a murder he didn't do, and is offered the chance at a pardon if he can take down a religious cult who control a small town in Idaho. It is a typical Woods book, in that Warden meets a young attractive women, sleeps with her a few pages later, and is in a co ...more
Glen Gerard
Oct 16, 2015 Glen Gerard rated it really liked it
"I am the heat and you are getting burnt "

let me make a confession first ;I bought this book from a local second hand seller for 50 because I really felt that the face shown on the cover reminded me of Clint Eastwood whom I really adore and I have been hearing Stuart woods name in the thriller writers section for quite a long time so i thought ; why not check it out . but I nearly didnt get any time for reading it and months passed by .and that was a cardinal sin .
it was like keeping your favor
David Lucero
Oct 15, 2012 David Lucero rated it really liked it
A page-turner from start to finish. This novel is the type you truly cannot put down once you've opened it.

Jesse Warden is a wrongly-convicted lawman who gets another chance at freedom by working undercover in the Idaho panhandle. In a seemingly small town he meets a larger-than-life self-appointed messiah in the name of Jack Gene Coldwater. But Coldwater has other ideas less than heavenly. In truth he is leader of a white supremacy cult hell-bent on waging war against the federal government, an
Sharon
Jun 30, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another standalone by Mr. Woods. This concerns an ex-DEA agent who is set up for murder and theft of drug money, and sent to prison. The government needs him to infiltrate a cult in Idaho, and he's promised a presidential pardon if he can get enough concrete evidence to convict the 3 main leaders of the cult. Distrustful of his handlers, he plans his escape should things go wrong. This was a sit on the edge of your seat drama.
Sherri
Dec 28, 2015 Sherri rated it liked it
A rollicking thriller. Can't sat this was a brilliant piece of literature, but it is a very fast, exciting ride. It's a great break from the cerebral. Jesse Warden, former DEA agent, is sent to a violent prison on trumped up charges. In order to gain his freedom, he must agree to infiltrate a vicious cult who is thought to be stockpiling weapons.
Jeanne
Aug 18, 2014 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
It is a good planning book. Ex-DEA agent Jesse Warden was sentenced to 2 life terms in the Federal prison in Atlanta, Georgia for crimes he didn't commit. The Feds offer him a pardon if he will infiltrate a cult in Idaho and find enough evidence to convict the top three leaders. It's interesting how Jesse plans to get this job done and win his freedom.
Will
Jun 09, 2013 Will rated it really liked it
The redemption of Jesse Warden in Idaho. Jesse Warden makes a deal with the devil to get out of a trumped up prison term in exchange for going undercover to bust a white supremacist group in Idaho led by Jack Gene Coldwater. Jesse lays his legend well and is accepted into the inner sanctum of the Aryan Church and their weapons selling bent. Set up with a supposed widow woman, Jesse falls in love with Jenny and marries her while undercover. He carefully works to set the trap for his DoJ enemy Bar ...more
Rodman Dickerson
Sep 09, 2014 Rodman Dickerson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting reading.

enjoyed the novel idea of the basis for the story. kept me interested until the very end. Will read more of Woods books.

John
Oct 26, 2009 John rated it did not like it
At a suggestion of a friend, I started reading Stuart Woods' books from the beginning, after I randomly picked (and read) NY Dead. She mentioned that Woods often brings back the same characters, so I should read the books chronologically. For the most part, I have been pretty impressed, and his books have been entertaining. The last 3 LA Times, Dead Eyes and Heat have been his weakest efforts. So I am on a streak with his books that assume (and hope) gets better.

I was initially turned off by the
doug morren
Mar 05, 2016 doug morren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

This book developed the characters and drew you in to the story. By end you couldn't put it down. Highly recommend book.
Phillip III
Dec 15, 2015 Phillip III rated it really liked it
Read this a long time ago. Long before Goodreads. And wanted to add it to my "Read" collection. Best I recall -- Loved it!
Brett Wallach
Sep 04, 2015 Brett Wallach rated it liked it
Hackneyed, atrocious dialogue offset somewhat by good, suspenseful, if far-fetched plot.
Tonya Lucas
Apr 05, 2016 Tonya Lucas rated it it was amazing
The best Stuart Woods book I've ever read. Intense, suspenseful and devious. The ending is explosive!!!
Phil Hait
Dec 07, 2015 Phil Hait rated it really liked it
Quick read, fast paced thriller
Joanie Reisfeld
Jun 23, 2016 Joanie Reisfeld rated it it was amazing
My all time fav Woods book!
Frank
Jun 07, 2016 Frank rated it really liked it
Good Woods novel.
Manvacamp2000
Mar 12, 2014 Manvacamp2000 rated it really liked it
one of Woods best
Jennifer Morefield
Aug 19, 2015 Jennifer Morefield rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this interesting story of intrigue and mystery. A good read...
Anne Hartman
Nov 05, 2009 Anne Hartman rated it really liked it
I really liked this book...A LOT.
The main character was really likable - Jesse Warren
The plot was very interesting - take an ex-cop who was in jail (he was set up, mind you), implant him in small town Idaho to get in with the arms dealers, have him work the the FBI to take them down. So good...however, I didn't really like how quickly he got it w/ the group, nor did I like how 'needy' Jenny was made out to be. That is why I did not give it 5 stars. But I really liked it.
Steve
Jun 02, 2015 Steve rated it it was amazing
I never read this 1994 Stuart Woods HEAT.
It is a stand alone novel and has become one of my few Five star * * * * * books of Woods.There were a few farfetched scenes but, on the whole, very readable. The protagonist is quite likable.
Mikeuma05
Jan 07, 2014 Mikeuma05 rated it really liked it
This was another great Stuart Woods book. It was quite the page turner and I was able to read 3/4th of the book in just one weekend. The plot was full of exciting surprises, and it was a change from his normal main characters (Holly Barker and Stone Barrington)
Katharine Ott
Oct 13, 2015 Katharine Ott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
"Heat" - written by Stuart Woods and published in 1994 by HarperCollins. A great thriller.
Deenya
Jul 09, 2012 Deenya rated it really liked it
This book was written in 1994 and I just read it in 2012. Was surprised how well, 14 years later, it held up. Usually "pop" fiction has too many social references and dates itself. Anyhow, I couldn't put this book down even though some of the dialogue seemed too sugary. The story really moved.
Michelle
May 18, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Fast read! Stuart Woods never disappoints me. This was a story of an agent who ended up in jail. His chance to get out is to make his way in with a religious cult and make them believe he's one of them. This story had lots of twists.
Lee Ann
Oct 12, 2010 Lee Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, suspense, ebook, 2010
This one kept me reading. There were several subplots going on as is normal with Wood's books, but I keep them sorted out and loved the way it all wraps up together at the end. Another good read by Woods.
Linda
May 12, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly, I really liked this book. It's not a genre I typically read but I had a hard time putting it down. At times I was on pins and needles but I figured out the ending anyway!
Conrad
Jan 30, 2010 Conrad rated it liked it
He is a capable writer who includes some interesting twists and turns. This book is the second I have read by this author. Iam still not sure if he is someone I will ready much more of.
Brett Sorge
Mar 08, 2013 Brett Sorge rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It kind of reminded me of John Grisham's "The Firm". Great story and very well written that kept me on the edge of my seat the entire book. One of his best!
  • The Deep Six
  • Known Dead
  • Chain of Evidence
  • Hunter's Moon (Doc Ford, #14)
  • The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
  • Merciless (Mercy Gunderson Mystery #3)
  • Silent Partner
  • A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea, #3)
  • Lash-Up
  • Bitter Recoil (Bill Gastner Mystery, #2)
  • Quarry's List (Quarry, #2)
  • The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully, #10)
  • Wings of Promise (Alaskan Skies, #2)
  • Secret Vengeance (Young Repairman Jack, #3)
  • Death, Deceit & Some Smooth Jazz (Amanda Bell Brown Mystery, #2)
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker, #2)
  • The Other Side of Silence
  • The Bone Chamber (Sydney Fitzpatrick #2)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

“Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon” 0 likes