Start by marking “The Papers of Tony Veitch (Jack Laidlaw, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Papers of Tony Veitch (Jack Laidlaw, #2)

The Papers of Tony Veitch (Jack Laidlaw #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The dying words of an alcoholic tramp set Jack Laidlaw onto the trail of a certain Tony Veitch, a young Glasgow student who he discovers has been missing for several days. This book is the sequel to Laidlaw and was the winner of the Crime Writers' Association Silver Dagger Award.
Paperback
Published February 12th 1984 by Pantheon (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Papers of Tony Veitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Papers of Tony Veitch

Knots and Crosses by Ian RankinHide and Seek by Ian RankinBlack and Blue by Ian RankinStrip Jack by Ian RankinCold Granite by Stuart MacBride
Tartan Noir
148th out of 250 books — 75 voters
The Black Echo by Michael ConnellyEcho Park by Michael ConnellyThe Concrete Blonde by Michael ConnellyHandy Man by H.H. DurrantThe Last Coyote by Michael Connelly
Best Police Procedurals - Mystery Fiction
305th out of 707 books — 403 voters

More lists with this book...

Leah
A love letter to a city…

Tony Veitch has disappeared and it seems like half the city is looking for him. Laidlaw’s one of the searchers. He knows why he’s looking for Tony – his name’s come up in connection with Eck Adamson, a drunk and down-and-out, now dead; and it seems Laidlaw’s the only man who cares. But Laidlaw doesn’t know why some of Glasgow’s hardest men seem to be wanting to find Veitch too, and the question is – who’ll find him first?

After being stunned by the first in the trilogy, La
Monica
I liked this even more than the first Laidlaw book, and that's saying quite a bit.

The plotting is interesting - an elderly alcoholic summons Laidlaw to his deathbed. Laidlaw, of course, is the only cop who thinks there might be something other than alcohol involved and insists on a post-mortem. There was paraquat, but why? Who would dislike the old man enough to do that or what did he know that posed a threat to someone. What was the connection between him and the missing wealthy student Tony Ve
Tuck
a three way........investigation of murder(s), corruption, and fuped family interpersonal relationships. 3way? yes, the cop, the thug group #1, the thug group#2 are all trying to figure out who killed who, and why.
this is the 2nd laidlaw noir police procedural set in glasgow. the 3rd due out in usa spring 2015. besides being a smart, literary-like writing, author tries hard to explain the uniqueness of glasgow and why 'they act the way they do'.
Matthew Fray
I stayed on the bus to the end-of-the-line to finish this and still hadn't finished it so sat down in the shopping centre and completed the job. Great first line; "It was Glasgow on a saturday night, the city of the stare." And it gets better from there. I love McIlvanney's prose, he describes almost everything and everyone but concisely. And picks the right words but not the one's you expect. He's got a great line in similies and knows how to use a metaphor (suddenly I sound all "wild west"); " ...more
Rob Kitchin
I’ve only read two William McIlvanney books so far, but he’s quickly become one of my favourite authors. Rather than telling linear tales in workmanlike prose that relies on melodrama or fast-paced action sequences to keep the reader’s attention, McIlvanney creates a layered, thoughtful story, rich in observational and philosophical asides told through evocative prose that has a nice cadence and vividly conveys the local dialect. It is a world full of greys, rather than black and whites, with La ...more
Harry
»Hätte man die Atmosphäre in Flaschen abgefüllt, man hätte Molotowcocktails bekommen.« Ein Roman wie Straßenstaub. Auch der ursprünglich 1983 erschienene zweite Teil der Laidlaw-Trilogie ist ein sprachliches Meisterwerk. Zwar ist »Die Suche nach Tony Veitch« nicht ganz so stark wie der fantastische erste Band, aber noch immer um Welten besser als das Gros der damaligen und auch heutigen Kriminalliteratur. In der jetzt bei Antje Kunstmann erschienenen Neuübersetzung hat Conny Lösch ganze Arbeit g ...more
Ian Mapp
Second in the Laidlaw Series - written in 1983.

McIlvanney is an intelligent writer that weaves a complex plot. He has a great turn of phrase and lashing of Glaswegian humour that makes part of the prose sound like a literary version of "Still Game".

Something went wrong for me in reading the book. I must have failed to concentrate at key moments. As I crime novel, I was hopelessly lost in how the investigation went. I knew that a tramp had been poisoned and Laidlaw treats all humans as equal. You
CuteBadger
The second in the Laidlaw series from William McIlvaney and another masterclass in Tartan Noir. The plot drives you through the book, but more important than that is the rich, multi-layered writing, the wonderfully drawn, dark Glasgow cityscape, the gallows humour and the thoughts of Jack Laidlaw. The novel ponders on the personality of the Scots and their view of the world, as well as on crime, punishment, and the meaning of life. A fantastic read.
Mike
I think I enjoyed this sequel to Laidlaw better than the original book. Again it has a convoluted plot, but the characters are wonderfully drawn, and the dialogue is full of rich Glaswegian humour. McIlvanney's writing is superb, and I'm tempted to get a copy of the book on Kindle just so I can highlight the sections that really struck me while reading it.

Gareth Evans
The second Laidlaw novel has many high spots: real menace; deft literary touches; and a well-worked plot. However, it doesn't gel together especially well, the literary touches, deft as they are, sometime detract from the action. Too many good things, pulling in different directions. However, it is a very different take on genre fiction.
Norah Robb
A follow up to Laidlaw which was brilliant and clearly pointed the way for the newer tartan noir writers like Rankin May be a bit of a struggle for non-Scots. Publisher needs to add an E version with lots of help screens. (Actually I am a Scot but not a Glaswegian. I'm taking it slow with a Scots Dictionary at the ready!!) Example "Wimpey reefer" took me a while. I'm thinking hamburgers? drugs? before I recall "reefer" is a jacket and "Wimpey" a construction company. Got to buy a copy when it's ...more
Keith Evans
Hard boiled and tragic with the city of Glasgow a real character that contributes towards events in a discernible way. Laid law is a white knight in a world of lowlifes.
Iain Murray
one of my all time favourite Scottish books, an an excellent central character and plenty interesting detail
Colin Slider
took a bit of effort to get into this. its written in the first person so thats a drastic change from the first two Laidlaw books but the technique does allow us to get a deeper understanding of Laidlaws thought process and motivations.
Sandra
Laidlaw was very, very good, this isn't better but it continues the best of Laidlaw, the philosophy the self-questioning and the twists of plot, the random bleaknesses of life. I wonder how this feels so fresh and up-to-the minute for somethig published in 1985 when other books, less than half a dozen years ago, feel already-aged. So, so satisfying.
Justin
Authentic, frantically paced story which pushes you to race through this book. Another great read.
David
David added it
Aug 29, 2015
David Hall
David Hall marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Jw
Jw marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
David stamper
David stamper marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Bill Knapp
Bill Knapp marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Eashemet
Eashemet marked it as to-read
Jack Collins
Jack Collins marked it as to-read
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3 / Danny McRae, #3)
  • Flesh & Blood (Frank Elder, #1)
  • Headstone (Jack Taylor, #9)
  • Deadly Web (Cetin Ikmen, #7)
  • The Labyrinth Makers
  • OxCrimes: 27 Killer Stories from the Cream of Crimewriters
  • Eleven Days (Carrigan and Miller, #2)
  • Dark Times in the City
  • Shadows of Sounds
  • Menuet Za Kitaro: Na Petindvajset Strelov
  • The Final Country
  • Il tempo invecchia in fretta
  • Dukla
  • The Stories of Jane Gardam
  • Waking Raphael
  • Viviane Elisabeth Fauville
  • How's the Pain?
  • And the Land Lay Still

Jack Laidlaw (3 books)
  • Laidlaw (Jack Laidlaw, #1)
  • Strange Loyalties (Jack Laidlaw, #3)
Laidlaw (Jack Laidlaw, #1) Docherty Strange Loyalties (Jack Laidlaw, #3) The Big Man Walking Wounded