The Sixth Wife (Tudor Saga, #7)

The Sixth Wife (Tudor Saga #7)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,620 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Dangerous court intrigue and affairs of the heart collide as renowned novelist Jean Plaidy tells the story of Katherine Parr, the last of Henry VIII’s six queens.

Henry VIII’s fifth wife, Katherine Howard, was both foolish and unfaithful, and she paid for it with her life. Henry vowed that his sixth wife would be different, and she was. Katherine Parr was twice widowed and...more
Published February 22nd 2005 by Broadway Books (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Sixth Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sixth Wife

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryThe Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison WeirThe Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa GregoryThe Constant Princess by Philippa GregoryThe Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory
Best Books About Tudor England
58th out of 388 books — 1,117 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingBaby by J.K. AccinniThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Savage Surrogate by Dorothy May MercerAlien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. Accinni
Best Series With At Least 7 Books
93rd out of 329 books — 156 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannah
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

" Divorced, Beheaded, Died.
Divorced, Beheaded, Survived.
"

So goes that nice little ditty that encapsulates the matrimonial history of England's most famous king, Henry VIII. While a cursory glance would seem to suggest that the "Survived" wife, Katherine Parr, fared best out of the bunch, I'm not so certain that's so. After all, Katherine P. got Henry at his absolute worst both physically and mentally. Aggravated by a stinky, puss-filled leg, over 300 pounds heavy,...more
June Louise
"Henry's good humour was miraculously restored. How strange it was, thought Katharine, that this great King, this man whom the French and Spaniards feared, should be so childish in his vanity. The King's character contained the oddest mingling of qualities; yet the brutality and the sentimentality, the simplicity and the shrewdness, made him the man he was. She should not regret these contrasts; she could watch for these traits in his character, and, as her knowledge of them grew, she might find...more
Helen Azar
If you want to read a more historically accurate account of the life of Henry VIII's wife #6, Katherine Parr, with no "spinning" and bodice ripping, then choose this one over the Susannah Dunn novel with the same title. Jean Plaidy remains the uncontested queen (no pun) of English royal history!
Athena Ninlil
Not bad. I really like Plaidy don't get me wrong but I don't like how she sticks to the stereotypes of the wives sometimes. Catherine Parr was much more than Henry's nurse and head over heels for Thomas Seymour. There is not a lot of depth in for Catherine, I felt it was very dry. Plaidy while she tries to be very fair to all her subjects, comes out with very dry characterizations and we rarely get to feel what her subjects are feeling. There is little description of their surroundings and she d...more
Laurel Bradshaw
I don't think I have read Jean Plaidy for several decades. I devoured her books in my teens and had forgotten how good she is. Her historical research was top-notch, and she worked all those facts seamlessly into her narrative. While it may lack somewhat in psychological depth, for sheer emotional drama she conveys all the horror of being the wife of a psychopathic tyrant.

Book Description: Henry VIII’s fifth wife, Katherine Howard, was both foolish and unfaithful, and she paid for it with her li...more
Sterlingcindysu
While I've read other historical novels about King Henry the 8th's other wives, Anne and the first Catherine, I didn't know much about his last wife, the one who "survived" him. Plaidy takes the stance that I would, who would want to marry him when he was in the "off with her head" mood? Plaidy does a good background sketch of all the characters involved because I keep forgetting who's related to who, or remembering who gets famous later. It's a little more dry than other historical novels and I...more
chucklesthescot
Apr 15, 2010 chucklesthescot rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tudor and historical fans
The fiction based on fact story of the sixth wife of Henry VIII-Katherine Parr. Twice widowed, she is in love with dashing Thomas Seymour, but Henry has fallen for her and has his love rival sent away. Katherine reluctantly agrees to marry him, living in fear that he will turn on her like his previous wives. And there are those plotting to make sure that it happens sooner rather than later.
Katherine was a fascinating wife-she restored good relations between Henry and his children, outwitted tho...more
Mrs. Chamberlain
Loved this one as much as the rest of Plaidy's stories of English queens. An exciting book, although the concept of the queen's love for another coupled with Henry's hot-and-cold tenderness towards Katherine are a little repetitive. Still a great read.
H. A. Mims
Catherine Parr's story might lack some of the intensity of Henry VIII's previous five wives, but is one I've always found fascinating in its own right. This was a lovely and very human adaptation… well worth the read!
Crystal
I don’t know why I didn’t start reading Jean Plaidy books much earlier. I love the tales she weaves, the way she really seems to identify with these historical people.

Going into this book, I didn’t know a whole lot about Katherine Parr, and to an extent, I still feel like I don’t. I don’t think this is any fault of the author, I really think it’s simply because there isn’t a whole lot of information about Katherine Parr out there. We know so little about her, other than Henry was planning to rid...more
Mandi
While Katherine Parr was in love with another man, as soon as King Henry VIII decided he would marry her she had no choice but to set that love aside. This books tells her story from a nonfiction point of view as we follow her in the last few years of the King's life. Sadly, when the King dies and Katerine is finally able to be with her true love, she only has a few short years of happiness with him and eventually dies of a broken heart. Her story is tragic.
Suvi
I love historical fiction, and it's rare to find a well-written story or a story that's not a bit trashy. I thought I would give this a try, I had never read any of Plaidy's books before and I don't choose books on Katharine Parr too often. I didn't expect much going in...the language was a little too hoity-toity for me and I just got bored after a quarter through the book. So...it's not quite trashy, but poorly written and a bit boring.
Sharon
Katherine Parr escaped with her head and her life from the monstrous Henry VIII--and marries the love of her life, Thomas Seymour. However, the politically ambitious Seymour turns out to be "no prize." I learned much about the intelligent, educated Kathrine Parr whose wits saved her life. This novel gives excellent character studies of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Edward VI. Recommended to readers who like the dramatic Tudor period.
Katie
Jun 17, 2007 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults who love historical fictiom
Shelves: favorite
The first Jean Plaidy book, The Sixth Wife, is my favorite of the four I've read. It is the story of Henry VIII last wife who escaped his wrath by his death and is known in the poem as the one who survived. It is very interesting and I remember thinking how sad her life was in review. Jean Plaidy's books are not easy reads though and I would suggest them for adults or teenagers who have a lot of time to focus. I read it in the summetime.
Carla Miller
Can't anyone write an historical novel that implies the immortality that occurred without describing it? I felt super awkward during those descriptions. I should have known what I was getting into - I just read "The King of the Castle" under her pseudonym Victoria Holt, and I didn't like the style at all. I guess it's better than a lot of historical fiction - I wouldn't know, I'm afraid to read much of it, for the immorality.
Tara
This book tells the story of Henry VIII's sixth and final wife, Katharine Parr. It is above all, a tragedy, however not in the way that I thought it would be. The stories of Henry VIII's wives are fascinating to me and this book was no exception. It was slow to start but, then I was pulled into the story of Katharine, how she fared as a queen and in other aspects of her life. I recommend this book.
Sandra Grauschopf
I wasn't sure what to expect from this author, but I found The Sixth Wife to be well-written and intriguing from beginning to end. My only real problem with the book is that the titular character plays, at best, a secondary role. King Henry VIII, King Edward, Princess Elizabeth, and Thomas Seymour all had active, point-of-view roles, while Katharine Parr was mostly marking time until she died.
Mita
Though the subject topic sounded interesting, the execution was pretty disappointing. Sad to say that it didn't live up to my expectations as it read much like a sappy, and slightly soapy, fan fiction. It's not bad, yet it was neither good. To put it simply: it's a woman's romance book situated in a historical time. Had it been better written, it would've made a really good book. Alas!
Samantha
This book was ok;it definitely wasn't one of my favorite Plaidy books. I felt that although Katherine Parr was supposed to be the primary character in this book she seemed to get lost in the book at times. I would say that overall it was an easy and enjoyable read for someone who likes to read about Henry VIII and his wives, although it did get a bit dry at times.
Valerie
Very easy read. Interesting look at Katherine Parr who was the last of Henry the VIII wives. It gives nice detail in the Tudor Court and the intrigue that went on. Interestingly Jean Plaidy is the pen name of Eleanor Hibbert who also wrote under the name Victoria Holt - who I loved back in the 80's. Nice historical read.
Vanessa Tillery
This story is about Katherine Parr whom was the sisth and final wife of King Henry VIII of England. Jelous courtiers try to usurp her by spreading rumours of her luthernism which was a threat to the Church of England. Henry becomes angry but Katherine seems to be the only one who can nurse him properly in his ailing health.
Lindsey
I never knew anything about Henry VIII's last wife and this was a great introduction. She's a really likeable character and you can't help admiring how gracefully she dealt with being thrust into such a horrible situation. Plaidy's writing can be a little dry sometimes but by the end of the book, I loved it.
Vanessa
This book is historical fiction about Katherine Parr, sixth wife of Henry VIII, following the death of the king. The book was interesting and gave insights into the life of Katherine Parr, but I was disappointed to find that the subplot of the book was entirely made up. Still it was a very good read.
Jessica
I was a bit disappointed with this book. I liked the story line, but the style of writing was very simple to the point that it wasn't stimulating. I also didn't like the narrating character, so that likely contributed to my reaction to this book. Overall, not a recommended read.
Bronwyn
this is about the life of queen katherine parr, sixth and last wife of henry V111, and the only one to keep her head and outlive him.and her life during her marriage to the king. and her life afterward.it is a good book, and well worth reading from a romantic and historical standpoint.
Susan
Apr 01, 2007 Susan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
The writing was pretty lousy--slow, pedantic, lots of telling rather than showing. I'm no historian, but the history seemed different than I'd read elsewhere, which made me suspicious of the scholarship. Satisfying neither as history nor fiction, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.
Sasha Strader
Rather fond of this book, despite the fact that Plaidy's writing style hadn't totally evolved yet. I really enjoy that she takes better stock of the likely reasons behind Elizabeth's behaviour and the horror Katherine Parr must have surely felt to be forced to marry Henry VIII
Ashlee
Another good Jean Plaidy book. I really enjoyed venturing into Henry VIII's sixth wife. Her story is an interesting one and should be read about more. A good starter book, but remember, it is historical fiction.
Hannah
I might have made it through this one once before, but since I couldn't remember, I put it on my to read shelf. Not as good as some of her others, but entertaining enough. Think she had too many narrators in this one.
Daylin
It was great to learn a bit more about the other women in Henry VIII's life. I like learning about history and this is a very easy book to read that is made interesting by adding in the bits of fiction.
  • A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • The King's Pleasure
  • Brief Gaudy Hour: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • Dear Heart, How Like You This?
  • Virgin: Prelude to the Throne
  • Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #2)
  • Jane Seymour: Henry VIII's True Love
  • Secrets of the Tudor Court
  • The Fifth Queen
  • The Queen's Mistake (In the Court of Henry VIII, #2)
  • The Queen of Subtleties: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • Vengeance Is Mine: A Novel Of Anne Boleyn, Katherine Howard, And Lady Rochford  The Woman Who Helped Destroy Them Both
  • At the King's Pleasure  (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #4 )
  • In the Shadow of Lady Jane
  • Catherine Howard: The Queen Whose Adulteries Made a Fool of Henry VIII
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million)....more
More about Jean Plaidy...
The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (Tudor Saga, #2-4) The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11) To Hold the Crown: The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York (Queens of England Series, #11)

“Is is said that those who study the ways of ambition learn patience.” 5 likes
“She took his hand and kissed it fervently. "I can never thank you enough for all you have given me. You snatched me from the dark pit of despair, of horror, and you set me here in the sunshine.” 4 likes