The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature

The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature (Politically Incorrect Guides)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  33 reviews
'The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature' exposes the PC professors and takes you on a fascinating tour through our great literature - in all its politically incorrect glory.

Paperback, Politically Incorrect Guides, 278 pages
Published October 1st 2006 by Regnery Publishing (first published January 1st 2006)

Michael
The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature, by Elizabeth Kantor ***

As I state elsewhere, few things make me feel as defiled as the post-modern take on literature. English departments throughout the United States have abandoned the classical canon for contemporary claptrap. Shakespeare has been replaced by “Betty the Yeti”, Milton and Spenser by Pound, and Austen by Atwood. True analysis and education have been replaced by politically correct Marxist/feminist/queer literar...more
Donald
Dec 06, 2007 Donald rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This entire line of books is incredibly good, chocked full of information you usually don't find in history books or classes, giving new light to "accepted" history.

This one refutes the ideas that the great literature of the English-speaking world is racist and sexist, and that female writers were unquestionably feminist. Excellent portion on "Beowulf."
Heather
This breezy but knowledgeable overview of English literature is unabashedly pro-Western Civilization, pro-Christianity, and anti-Feminism. It does a good job of delivering what one expects from it. As part of a series (the Politically Incorrect Guides--modeled, it seems, on the popular "for Dummies" or other explanatory series but intended for decidedly conservative audiences), this book can seem a bit formulaic and shallow in spots. But then, it is written as a introduction for the average pers...more
Julie Davis
This is one of the books from my nonfiction section of my personal reading challenge for this year. The library had it. I picked it up. Haven't done more than flip through it, but I am mystified by the complete lack of Steinbeck from the index.

However, I'm interested to see what the author says and what books I may become interested in while reading it.

UPDATE
The next book I've chosen from my personal "challenges" list. Thus far I am disappointed by the repetitive scorn heaped on current thinking...more
Amanda
There are not words to describe how aggravated I was with this book. The author's points were very biased, which is exactly what she accused the "liberal professors" of being. She used extreme examples and I found her definition of feminism to be ridiculous. I consider myself to be a feminist, yet I do not view marriage as a form of slavery, nor do I see all sex as "rape." Although she felt that Christianity was the most important aspect of all of these books/poems, etc., she discussed how ignor...more
Jack Laschenski
The program for a recent convention of the Modern Language Association lists 794 different panels on subjects including "Redeeming Violence", "Marxism Now", "Film after Brown vs. Board of Education", and even "What Video Games Can Teach Us About Literature", but not one on Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Coleridge or Keats.

English literature is not taught in College English Departments anymore.

Political posturing is.

The Politically Correct faculties have thrown away our heritage.

If you would like to re...more
Melinda
I highly recommend this book. It is fascinating to read what is currently being published by current English professors, and then read the rather straightforward rebuke that Elizabeth Kantor gives them as she quotes original texts back. The original texts seem stimulating and interesting while the modern English revisionist history machinations seems dull and contrived in comparison. This book was worthwhile for me primarily because of her chapter on Jane Austen, which is brilliant, and the chap...more
Carmen
Something was not quite right about my experience as an undergraduate English BA, and this book cuts right to the heart of the matter, all while keeping an appreciation for good storytelling and literature its main focus and reward. This would actually be a fitting companion piece to Eugenides' The Marriage Plot. Nicely done.
John
Reading this book is equivalent to taking a university English Lit. Survey course from an ultra-conservative professor--if that's even possible these days. It's passionately written, brash, and very insightful.
John Betts
It's been 20 years since I've taken a literature course so either my memory is faulty or I missed much of the PC nonsense the author critiques. For that reason much of the commentary on how literature is taught in colleges was somewhat interesting, although one-sided which is to be expected in this type of work, but also tedious at times. Nevertheless, I found this book to be most interesting as a sort of "Great Tour" through American and English literature, woefully lacking in some areas yet wi...more
Angela
An interesting overview of important literature to American culture, with brief literary analysis in some cases. The perspective is a bit provocative, as intended, to my left-leaning mind and definitely raised my hackles a number of times (I think her definition of feminism is especially narrow-minded) -- she rants about so many perceived problems with English departments and professors throughout, though she does mention at the end that it is good for the canon of literature making up a college...more
M
I find this guide to literature to be substandard compared to The Western Lit Survival Kit: An Irreverent Guide to the Classics from Homer to Faulkner

Part 1 was my favorite part of the three. The brief overview and review of English literature from the 20th century back to the birth of England was enlightening and refreshing. It certainly added to my to-read list. American literature seemed to get the short end of the stick with 7 chapters to the English and 1 to the Yankees, perhaps I overestim...more
Jimmy
Mar 01, 2013 Jimmy added it
Let me preface my review with my observation of English classes at the college level. I've always felt that English class was a way for some professors to sneak in ideological causes to their students from other fields but without the academic rigors required in the respective field it came from. For instance Marxism or Fabian socialism wouldn't stand up in the field of economic and historical analysis, but in the past I’ve seen it imported wholesale into the English classroom. Certain philosoph...more
Chris White
As a grand high flying tour through the literature upon which much of western civ has been based, this book performs its function well. The editorial aspect of the author's tone, however warranted she feels it might be, reminds me of why I have been abstaining from conservative "news" sources for the past year (never mind the rest of the world of "news").

I personally have had quite enough of conventional wisdom parading as the accusative crusader, espousing the opinion (voiced as a fact) that e...more
Stephanie
This one was sort of amusing, if perhaps not very deep in some ways. It had some points: my initial courses as an English major (even at BYU) turned my stomach, and I don't even want to think about some of the drivel I read through in some of those literary journals. What a crock. Why in the world should a great story or poem or such be shoehorned into a limited number of (evidently popular and largely ridiculous) theories of literary criticism? It's like they want to kill literature before anyo...more
Jim
Since much of my formal education was technical as opposed to classical, I have many deficiencies in the area of Literature. For the past eighteen years, I've tried to do some catching up, often reading books that others read in high school or college. This PI Guide was very helpful in that it answered many questions I would never otherwise, have thought to ask. Again, recommended!
So many books I have neglected to read in my life! This book is a very straight forward understanding of English and American literature. It is not a book that finds hidden meanings in authors poetry (like racism/feminism within Shakespeare's writing). Rather it is a book to explain that not everything we read has to have a hidden meaning. It explains that our English professors of today's colleges are forgetting to read authors for the enjoyment of reading them alone. It is also a reminder that...more
Momdad
Very thoughtful review of English literature from Beowulf to 20th Century authors, with their impacts on the modern world. Very well reasoned explainations of what they contributed to history and culture. She is positively critical of today's academic departments of English because she believes they teach everything EXCEPT English Literature. I agree with her contention that dead white males (and a few females) contributed significantly to English literature, and you can not fully understand our...more
Simone
A traditional take on the canon. The book deeply emphasises the problems of studying such a rich subject under new theoretical frameworks. The author's outlook is directly connected to the experience I have had trying to study English literature in a postgraduate programme in Brasilia. The main message struck a chord close to my heart: if you want to study literature, you'd better do it on your own, because very few universities will help you.
Fr. Ryan Humphries
An excellent survey of the real value of some of the classics of the English Language. As a person who grew up with mediocre instruction in literature - this book was a Godsend!
Melissa
Love this book. Although I attended a Christian Liberal Arts College and was not subjected to the approach by secular institutions of imposing viewpoints on interpretations, I had some exposure in high school, through my literary criticism college class, and reading I did after college. This book was great at exploring the deficiencies and recommended some unknown authors I've since enjoyed. Other authors that are highly recommended in mainstream schools are not so enjoyable and I still fail to...more
David Mosley
I gave the book four stars because, while full of excellent information and recommendations, I found the us versus them mentality to be too strong. Nevertheless, this book is for any and all who speak English as their primary language. This book will help you recognize the true genius of the works that have been created in our language; that these have true merit and value; that we the readers can truly benefit from them and become better people because of them.
Jacqueline
While this may have been an interesting idea it is executed in a boring manner with several digs at feminists and most professors. I was taught both Chaucer and Beowulf in college and I was taught them fairly to the point I have reread or listened to each more then once.

This is the case of a book where you get out of it what you want to and I got a boring lecture with some interesting history thrown in.
Erin
Excellent book! I only wish it was a little more detailed, though the level of detail is appropriate for the scope given at the outset. I do think her judgment of American literature (particularly contemporary works) a little harsh, and I would have liked to see her take on the Brontes, but overall a very informative and worthwhile read.
Lyn
Finished this last night, very funny and informative. A defense of Dead White Males and at the same time a two fisted attack on the revisionist, victim politics usurpers of English Departments across the country. Believe it or not I was once an Honors English student, and this book brought back some almost fond memories.
☯Bettie☯

blurb - The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature exposes the PC professors and takes you on a fascinating tour through our great literature-in all its politically incorrect glory. Included: a syllabus and how-to guide to give yourself the English lit education you were denied in school.

#1 Beowulf
#2 Battle of Maldon

Anglo Saxon poetry is little taught nowadays; rather than being read for its own sake, it is pawed over to support feminism/homo-erotic/ marxist stand points...more
Kelly
This book is definitely left wing but gives a lot of food for thought about what literature is currently being taught in universities. It is entertaining and educational all at the same time. "You can leave your job, or your hometown, or your marriage, but you always take yourself with you."
Atchisson
This would have made a great CHAPTER in a P.I.G. to Education. As a stand alone publication, at times it seems to have been stretched kind of thin. Still some fun facts, but it came across as kind of slight.
I learned that what authors write and what critics believe a text is about are usually conflicting. If you love to read and know as much as you can about famous (historic) authors--this book is for you.
Andreas Strom
Boring, dry and WAY too focused on christianity and feminism. I did learn a few things here and there, but it was a chore to struggle through this yawn inducing book.
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism  And Intelligent Design
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming: And Environmentalism
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades)
  • Invitation to the Classics: A Guide to Books You've Always Wanted to Read (Masterworks Series)
  • Beowulf on the Beach: What to Love and What to Skip in Literature's 50 Greatest Hits
  • 501 Must-Read Books
  • The New Lifetime Reading Plan: The Classical Guide to World Literature, Revised and Expanded
  • The Weekend Novelist
  • The Anatomy of Bibliomania
  • Foxfire 3
  • Refuting Evolution: A Handbook for Students, Parents, and Teachers Countering the Latest Arguments for Evolution
  • Reading Between the Lines
  • The Day Kennedy Was Shot
  • Illibereal Education: The Politics of Race and Sex on Campus
The Jane Austen Guide to Happily Ever After A Fórmula do Amor : Segredos de Jane Austen para os relacionamentos