Start by marking “Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book

Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book

4.48  ·  Rating Details ·  1,114 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Published November 1st 1981 by Schoolhouse Press

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book

Stacy
Jan 15, 2013 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
A very interesting book dealing more with the science and theory of knitting rather than actual patterns. It provides the knitter with guidelines for knitting basic pieces, so that one can think independently and not necessarily be tied to any specific pattern, but potentially customize any pattern for a perfect fit.

This book has some funny moments too; the author's humor certainly shows. For example, when giving instructions for creating an afterthought pocket for a sweater, the second paragra
Becky
Apr 21, 2007 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Elizabeth Zimmermann is my knitting guru. She died before I really knew who she was- but her comforting words and common sense ring true decades later. I reccommend ALL of her books, I really can't say one is better than the other. She truely was a genius, radical thinker.
Daphne
Dec 04, 2016 Daphne rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of Elizabeth Zimmerman, I love how she encourages knitters to be more creative and knit without a pattern. This book encouraged me to try knitting continental and color knitting . I found out they are easier than I thought. I also learned a lot about various knitting techniques. It made me want to research the knitting in Guernsey, Fair Isle and the Shetland Islands.

My complaint is that I found the illustrations lacking. A lot of times,she would describe a technique and there wou
Msgadget
Nov 20, 2016 Msgadget rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
It seems silly to mark a beginning and end date for this book because, once perused it is forever a reference. This is actually my second copy, the first having succumbed to water and mold. Here the inimitable Elizabeth Zimmerman empowers the knitter to knit confidently and without a pattern. She encourages exploration of structure, explains how to measure as you go and then shares a delicious puzzle of a baby jacket, which can also be sized for adults. Her books go perfectly well with Barbara W ...more
Amanda
Aug 21, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Zimmerman is a humble genius, with a great sense of humor. Hard to find these days. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and have made the round yoke sweater for my daughter already. It turned out perfectly except that the yoke is a little long. The percentage system may work better for an adult as opposed to a child. (I am not talking about the decrease rounds that are specifically different for children, but the yoke length.)

This is a classic any knitter would love to have.
Maggie
Jun 29, 2012 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Another classic from EZ. I am a huge fan of EZ and her methods, Her candor and wit and of course her vast innovative knowledge of knitting was amazing. She lived in my home state, but I never got a chance to meet her. I am lucky to have studied with those that had. Priceless.
Cayenne
Sep 04, 2012 Cayenne rated it it was amazing
I think this is the best knitting book I've ever read. I'm very happy it is in my collection now. Elizabeth Zimmermann was a genius and I'm so glad she wrote and recorded so many of her ideas and techniques.
Lisa Whiting
Aug 21, 2012 Lisa Whiting rated it it was amazing
One of my faves. Elizabeth Zimmerman was a knitting genius who "un"vented amazing ways to do things and ways to rethink the whole knitting process. Can't wait to get a copy of her book "The Opinionated Knitter" !
Heather Ordover
Aug 16, 2011 Heather Ordover rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Now that I finally saw the accompanying video I'm just overwhelmed. The book is good, but you'll have to read sections over and over WHILE knitting. Having the video makes all the difference. Zimmerman is a genius. Period.
Linda
Nov 19, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
I love Elizabeth Zimmermann but if you are looking for a book of patterns...this is not it. While she has a pattern or two in the book, this book teaches you how to knit for the individual.. how to make your own pattern. Funny little bits about her family and friends...experiences..
Gretchen
Jan 29, 2016 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
Fun to read, even if you don't knit. Elizabeth Zimmerman's fabulous book of encouragement and practical advice. This and "Knitting Without Tears" are my favorites.
Sandy Vaughan
Jul 31, 2009 Sandy Vaughan rated it it was amazing
this is the video from schoolhouse press. it is a wonderful addition to video library as you can follow along with her...something you sometimes miss when reading her.
Diane
Oct 15, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
A complete how-to book of knitting projects. Not for the beginner as it assumes a general knowledge of needles, yarn and how to hold and manipulate them.
Lisa
Aug 10, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
this is an amazing knitting book.
not all step-by-step instructions, but more intuitive guide to knitting and creating your own patterns.
i love it.
Lindsey
Mar 07, 2014 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design-books
I love love love how she talks about knitting! Haven't read cover to cover, but definitely used to make a hat and will refer back.
Ann Johnson Davis
Jul 22, 2008 Ann Johnson Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting-books
Wonderful! From a PBS series, chock full of great classic "pithy" directions and some highly entertaining "digressions". EZ was a genius!
monkeyelf
Mar 20, 2011 monkeyelf rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-genre
Elizabeth Zimmerman is my knitting hero. Also, I got this book barely-used at an estate sale for $1. Score!
Francesca Roqueta
Jul 27, 2012 Francesca Roqueta rated it it was amazing
Great book. I love her "no pattern" approach. Actually guides you as to how to construct knitted garments without hesitation.
Lynne
Jan 18, 2016 Lynne rated it liked it
Not so easy to read non-fiction on kindle, especially a knitting manual. I have lost my paperback version.
Kathy Burnam
Kathy Burnam rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2012
Colleen Sullivan
Colleen Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2013
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2012
Fran
Fran rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2009
Hazel
Hazel rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Donna Mesker
Donna Mesker rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2013
Bev
Bev rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Constance Brewer
Constance Brewer rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Camy
Camy rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2013
notgettingenough
notgettingenough rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2009
  • The Knitting Experience Book 1: The Knit Stitch, Inspiration & Instruction
  • Sweater Design in Plain English
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • The Knitter's Companion: Expanded and Updated (The Companion series)
An influential knitting pattern designer, teacher, and writer, Elizabeth Zimmermann advocated knitting techniques to speed progress and simplify pattern creation. She enthusiastically championed Continental knitting, where the working yarn is carried in the left hand, as opposed to the English or American style where the working yarn is carried in the right hand. She also advocated knitting in the ...more
More about Elizabeth Zimmermann...