The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South: (And Why It Will Rise Again)

The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South: (Politically Incorrect Guides)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  23 reviews
What the PC Police don't want you to know--and what they got plain wrong--about the South
Published January 1st 2007 by Regnery Publishing (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South

Jessica
Sep 29, 2007 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This is the BEST BOOK EVER!!!! READ IT! No matter if you're from the North or the South!! READ IT!!! :)

From the Founding Fathers to the frontiersmen who tamed the West to the country music, NASCAR, Biblethumping heart of "Red State" America, the South is the quintessence of what's original, unique, and most loved about American culture. And with its emphasis on traditional values, family, faith, military ser...more
David Bales
I read this book in 2007 and am including it here since I am going to read a book called "The South Was Right" about the Civil War. Clint Johnson points out the wonders of Southern Culture; the history and food, the folklore and the sacrifices made by Southerners during the Revolution and other wars. His defense of the Confederacy is long and detailed, (Northerners were racists, the war was over the tariff, not over slavery, slaves were mostly part of the family, yadda, yadda, yadda). Sure, ther...more
JoséMaría BlancoWhite
This is the definite tribute to Southernness. It is a must read for all Southerners at heart who are proud to be so, and all lovers of the American distinctiveness. Those who don't like America, specially within America, specifically mean they don't like the South. New Englanders, millionaires and those who dominate the media and can afford to tell the working classes who's cool and who's not, whose opinion matters and whose doesn't, those who hate tradition and order and invent the latest ism o...more
Michael
I got a lot of laughs out of this book, bit it's not meant to be funny! The author is still into the civil war, rebel flag, dixie, Republican party, limited government, and resons for why the South is more important to out country, the center of culture and history, low tax rates and blah, blah, blah. This southern boy cooked a Yankee pot roast after reading this so called book! There were plenty of historical facts that i really did enjoy learning!
Justin
Another delightful book in the politically incorrect (aka rabid right wing nonsense) series. This one, as evident from the cover, is a glorification of the South and all things southern. If you think that the Confederacy was great and don't want to take an honest look at slavery because it makes you uncomfortable than you should buy this book. Just make sure your knuckles don't drag on the ground too much on the way to the bookstore.
Fran
May 24, 2008 Fran added it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is very much a politically incorrect account of why the South is "better" than the North. Basically the first few chapters are hilarious (I won't say whether or not I agree or disagree with the author), but then the rest of the book is a long, dry, boring history lesson.
Jimmy
Our worst stereotypes are of those whom we think we know but we don’t. Removing such prejudices is hard because we have very little incentive to find out more information since we are a “state of rest” when it comes to interests of knowing more about the particular group we think we know. I believe that Southern people and culture is one such example for many non-Southerners. I say this as someone from the West Coast who was exposed to Southern ways for the first time when I was in the Marines.
T...more
♥Xeni♥
As a person who seeks the truth of all matters, these Politically Incorrect Guides are like holy testaments. Sort of. Generally speaking, though, they really do 'tell the other side of the story' that we don't get in most history books, or really at all, anywhere.

I read this book (and the P.I.G. to the South) for a project I was doing for my English class back in my last year of school. Both of these books were wonderfully written, in a rather amusing style that reminisced a little of the Dummi...more
Shrike
A loathsome narcissistic diatribe filled with the usual half-truths, distortions, and outright lies (see below). Johnson is just another Lost Causer who can't stand being on the wrong side of history. Utterly useless for students, given the total lack of citations or primary sources. But then, such a book is not intended to inform or persuade, merely to reinforce existing prejudices.

The author displays exactly the kind of sectional bigotry he rails against, continually putting down "Yankees" and...more
Raina
This is just a fun book. At moments it is funny and at others a little curious. Not really heavy reading, but it is not particularly in depth either. If you want to learn the truth about the North and the South this is a great book to read!!! It is chock full of information you usually don't find in history books or classes, giving new light to "accepted" history as it hails and honors the American South and all that is good about it, without wallowing in apologetic misery about what was wrong a...more
Michael
Make no mistake about it, this book is apologetically Southern. The author presents The South in a positive but necessary light. I say that because the region gets a bad rap in the mainstream media. I was born and raised in South Texas so my culture was a little different than the one in The Deep South. I lived in Alabama for 2 years and traveled all over the southern states; I learned all the stereotypes I had heard growing up about The South were completely untrue.

I recommend this book for peo...more
Donald
Dec 06, 2007 Donald rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This entire line of books is incredibly good, chocked full of information you usually don't find in history books or classes, giving new light to "accepted" history.

This one hails and honors the American South and all that is good about it, without wallowing in apologetic misery about what was wrong about it. A bit too much on the Civil War, but Southerners will like that more than others.
Meredith
I know that the USA victory over the CSA was ultimately a good thing, BUT this book explains the whole debaucle from the Southern point of view. If you are a fan of history and are reticent to swallow everything academia tells you about the Civil War, check it out.
PS: Jeffy Davis loved himself some Jews and Honest Abe wasn't too fond of black folks.
Derrick
Fun and interesting book. The author stretches a bit in the WW2 section, talking about Southerners and Honorary Southerners and even people who just admired Lee. But the sections about the CW were great and brought out some fascinating thoughts.
Tom
What a great read; informative, fun, and biased in the right direction. The chapters are all meaty and the side-bars are likewise informative and fun to read. Should be required reading for all Southeners and for Yankees who move South.
WarEagle34
GREAT book! Especially from Chapter 5 on. This is a book I'll read again. It's inspired me to read some biographies from this time period. Very interesting information and well written.
Atchisson
This is just a fun coffee-table book. At moments it is funny and at others a little curious. Not really heavy reading, but it is not particularly in depth either.
Patricia
I am from the south and this was a great book to learn more of our history. If you want to learn the truth about the North and the South this is a great book to read!!!
Jeff Carpenter
A fun read, filled with interesting facts and stats that you probably didn't know.
Madison Scott
A Southerner's view on life, the War, and other important things. Very good.
David Robins
Good overview; good information, and neutral enough to not scare off liberals.
Swampfox
Excellent coverage of the topics, and well-written.
Dean Akin
Fun read and informative.
Joseph Schmidt
Joseph Schmidt marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Paul Bard
Paul Bard marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Nolan
Nolan marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
W
W marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Fascinated by the American Civil War since the fourth grade, Clint Johnson has written eight books on the subject, including the acclaimed Civil War Blunders. Originally from Florida, he counts Confederate soldiers from Florida, Georgia, and Alabama among his ancestors. He is active as a Civil War re-enactor and has portrayed soldiers from both the South and the Union. In researching Pursuit, he s...more
More about Clint Johnson...
Civil War Blunders: Amusing Incidents of the War Pursuit: The Chase, Capture, Persecution & Surprising Release of Jefferson Davis Bull's-Eyes and Misfires: 50 Obscure People Whose Efforts Shaped the American Civil War A Vast and Fiendish Plot In the Footsteps of Stonewall Jackson (In the Footsteps Of...)