Start by marking “Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)” as Want to Read:
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man #9)

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  18,933 Ratings  ·  318 Reviews
WINNER OF THREE EISNER AWARDSFeatured in THE NEW YORK TIMES and on NPR, Y: THE LAST MAN is the gripping saga of Yorick Brown, an unemployed and unmotivated slacker who discovers he is the only male left in the world after a plague of unknown origin instantly kills every mammal with a Y chromosome. Accompanied by his mischievous monkey, Ampersand, and the mysterious Agent 3 ...more
Published May 9th 2007 by Vertigo (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Y, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Y

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
265th out of 821 books — 1,540 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanWatchmen by Alan MooreBatman by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Comic Books to Appreciate & Love
37th out of 298 books — 126 voters

More lists with this book...

Melody
Feb 21, 2016 Melody rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, comic-trades
I can't believe I only have one more left and I will be done with this series. I don't want it to end.
Lindsay
Feb 03, 2012 Lindsay rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who's read the previous 8 volumes
This is a tricky one to review, because while there's a lot I loved about it --- it's very satisfying in a narrative sense, with a lot of long-running threads resolved and tied together, and it gives us much more of Dr. Allison Mann's backstory --- I absolutely hated the answer to the question of what caused the XY-killing plague.

Without going into spoileriffic detail, I'll just say I thought it was an obnoxious injection of magic into what had been a non-magical, realistic world. I have a bioch
Brandon
Nov 06, 2011 Brandon rated it really liked it
So without giving anything away here, we're given the long awaited answer to the plague. Well, it looks that way at this point. Anything can happen with this series (I don't mean that in a bad way). When I was finally shown the reason, it really didn't matter.

Let me clarify. Obviously the reason behind the "gendercide" needs to be given to the audience. It's just that Vaughan has created these characters that are sticking with me. Some people may have problems with the big reveal and I can certa
Adriana
This penultimate volume sees the mysterious Dr. M unmasked, more background for Alison, a view at Toyota’s past, the truth about Ampersand and a peek at what the other women of Y have been up to, particularly some women we only got a peek at in the very beginning. It’s jam-packed with important details and revelations without overburdening the reader or getting hard to follow.
The drama is deep in this one. There are some very dark moments, but the writing manages to weave jokes and lightness in
Lobeck
Jan 18, 2009 Lobeck rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
In this volume we learn of a theory to explain why almost all people with the Y chromosome died. This story adds lots of historical details that we were never told before and allows the author create an explanation that had not previously been hinted at. This felt suspiciously like an explanation the authors had decided upon last-minute after hooking people with a neat premise without knowing where the story was headed. Regardless of motivation, this style of adding copious amounts of back-story ...more
Tarina
Jan 28, 2016 Tarina rated it did not like it
After reading nine volumes of this story, I've come to the conclusion that all the female characters are actually written very similarly.

I think what annoys me most about these comics is that I know Vaughan is a good writer. I know he's clever and innovative. I don't understand why he chose this path for his story. He could have done so many things, but I think that in and of itself may have been overwhelming.

I don't understand why all the splash pages are extremely sexist either. Like almost
Apr 10, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Easily the best graphic novel I've ever read, in terms of sewing up character development and delving into the fractured souls scrambling about in a less than cheerful world.

Motherland is such a fantastic book, I have a hard time believing that it comes from the same series as Cycles, Paper Dolls and Girl on Girl. So much time has been spent in setting up different story lines and developments by Brian Vaughan, that I had no idea how satisfying his conclusions would become, emotionally and thema
Andrew
Mar 12, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing
I was ready to rate this volume lower, but I just can't. I only have one more to read, and I have to say this is the most enjoyable and imaginative of the entire series so far. I love the two side stories that the editors decided to put at the end of the book; breaking the order from that in which the original issues were published caused no harm whatsoever, and ending the volume on such a fun, almost meta-note was delightful. Further, they fleshed out this world even more.

SPOILERS BELOW***MAJOR
h
Dec 21, 2012 h rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, 2012, graphic
there were a handful of nice panels in this one. but really, whatever interesting stuff might be going on completely collapses under the weight of unnecessary heavy-handedness. it's bad enough in the actual story, but the one-off comic that appears (out of order) at the end of this volume is terribly insulting to the audience. if this issue had been earlier in the series i definitely wouldn't have kept on. if you don't trust your readers, why are you bothering? writers, it is not clever to expla ...more
Licha
Jan 20, 2015 Licha rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, series
Another volume that brought out the tears as the group is ready to part ways. I have grown to care for this group and have been on this journey right along with them, so in a way, I felt like I had to take sides and decide which group I wanted to leave with.

Not really spoilers ahead but warning that if you're not yet at this volume it may reveal plot elements you may not be ready for:

--We get the background story on Dr. Ming and Dr. Mann's father affair.

--Dr. Mann gets sick as a consequence of c
Tays
Feb 01, 2015 Tays rated it liked it
Well this volume's a delicate one. There are a bunch of stories that I loved, and likewise, there are a bunch of stories that doesn't really make sense. The reveal of who Toyota was working for? That was brilliant and unpredictable. The Alter bits of the story, yea, those bits bore me. Nevertheless, Vaughan still managed to entertain me hence the 3-stars. Brilliant storytelling. Also, the artwork is a bit more like The Runaways on this one, which is quite a peach for the eyes.
Hannah  Messler
Jun 05, 2008 Hannah Messler rated it it was amazing
I finished these up in a few measly days, which is the drag about AWESOME STUFF, unfortunately, that you rip through it like such a piece of hell. Super stoked to read #10, though. I think Britney Spears should play the fucked up Canadian ex-pop star, right? Right? Genius. Angela, I can NOT believe you read these damn things in serial. I would have chewed my own face off.
Patrick
Mar 24, 2012 Patrick rated it really liked it
This has always been a comic that moves at the beat of its own drum. Page for page, joke for joke, blood for blood. So why wouldn't it end the suspense 10 episodes short of the finish line. The science just being another metaphor. That's something I so totally admire about the series. It's not about Brian K. Vaughan thinking he's so clever...that what he thought up as the grand reveal is so pompous...that he'd be so self-congratulating and ready to take his victory lap when it happens.

A lesser
Melinda
Feb 08, 2016 Melinda rated it liked it
Our friends are now in China and we learn how supremely twisted Dr. Mann's dad is. The source of the plague is also revealed. This volume ties up the story in D.C. and Hollywood, but neither story moved the greater arc forward. They felt like disappointing filler. This volume averages to 3 stars.
Emma Lauren
Jul 18, 2015 Emma Lauren rated it it was amazing
Motherland by Brian K. Vaughan was the ninth of the Y: The Last Man Saga. This story continues along as the gang searches for the answers to a plague. With shocking twists, and some questions still left unanswered, this was the perfect set-up to the conclusion of this series.
Nick
Mar 21, 2014 Nick rated it really liked it
This is actually my second read of Y: The Last Man, so really this is a review of the entire series, rather than just this one volume. It is one of my favorite stories of all time, by one of my favorite writers of all time.

The Last Man is awesome. In a genre that is dominated by male characters, Vaughan decided to make a series where almost the entire cast is female. The main character, Yorick Brown, is a man, but he is not the dominating force, by any means. Agent 355 and Dr. Mann are just as c
Rach
Feb 11, 2014 Rach rated it really liked it
Once again, and hopefully for the last time, I was wrong about the identity of Dr. M. I think I'm either really gullible or easily led, because I have yet to guess right about that character. Of course, Dr. M turned out to be (view spoiler) ...more
Jeff
Sep 21, 2014 Jeff rated it liked it
Again Carnevale’s covers are pretty consistently interesting. Best of this lot for my money is for issue 50, which is the Y shape created by monkey+2human hands clasped together. Issue 49’s Y made up of dream-sequence Yorick and Beth also ain’t bad.

The creators are slowly gathering all the principles together for our much anticipated denouement. More Dr. Mann backstory as well as an unholy trinity of blockbuster related Big Reveals, including
WHO is behind all this?
and
HOW did this happen?
Plus t
Caroline
Oct 28, 2015 Caroline rated it really liked it
Recommended to Caroline by: Andy
The best volume in the series so far (there's only one left after this)! There's finally a lot of answers to questions that have been running through my head the entire series, and the scenes are full of so much excellent tension that it reads quickly. The last little bit was more of a side-story and wasn't as interesting, but it was still good.

Looking forward to the end!
Anja
You've got to be kidding me, right? This is the big explanation? Really? REALLY?
Well, since there is one more volume, I hope for some more exciting stuff. There has to be some kind of clever revelation. Because what I got here was just plain stupid.
On the other hand I liked the Toyota parts, and the ending was as nuts as it was funny :)
As always: Great artwork.
Morgane
Jan 15, 2014 Morgane rated it it was ok
Wait seriously that's what caused the plague?

Really?

Really?
Hans
Oct 04, 2014 Hans rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The train ride towards the final destination aptly catches the feel of the storyline as it cruises towards its grande finale. This book helps to tie up loose ends, providing yet another explanation for the plague, clones and cure. I found the explanation of cloning turning humans into Asexual creatures as the cause of the self-destruction of the Y Chromosome very intriguing. Nature's natural balance to a seismic evolutionary shift which culminates with the Y-chromosome finally achieving complete ...more
Meg McGregor
Oct 01, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian
This is the ninth book, in a series of ten, that describes Yorick Brown's adventures as literally, the last man on Earth. A plague has wiped out all life having a Y chromosome except Yorick and his monkey, Ampersand.

Well, it turns out that Yorick IS NOT the last man on Earth. I won't spoil it for anyone. It is all a bit confusing however and again, I had to go back and reread the story to make any sense of it all.

Perhaps I am just a little tired of the way that women are portrayed in this series
Megan Creasey
May 08, 2015 Megan Creasey rated it really liked it
Wow, I'm amazed at how uneven the writing in this series is. Some volumes are utter garbage, and others are awesome and actually sophisticated. I loved "The Obituarist" and "Tragicomic," both of which focus on characters outside of the main folks.

One beef I have with this series is that the passage of time is REALLY confusing. All of a sudden it will be a year later, but the only indication of that will be a character mentioning it. There are these huge, odd time gaps that make the entire story
Brandon James
Feb 24, 2015 Brandon James rated it really liked it
What a great volume! Y: The Last Man is rocketing toward its conclusion. In this volume we get a ton of answers, revelations, the reason behind the Gendercide and two more great side stories. For the first time, in many volumes, the main story overshadows the two additional stories. Finally!

As always, Brian K. Vaughan's writing is fantastic. The artwork seems to have been kicked up a notch in this volume as well. But for the first time in a few volumes I really felt like Vaughan's writing was ab
Ondra Král
Feb 09, 2014 Ondra Král rated it did not like it
Bože... co se s touhle jinak docela příjemnou sérií děje? Konec osmičky nabral směr WTF a devítka po této cestě uhání jak splašená. Máme tu dvě fílerový povídky a konečně jakési "šokující" odhalení, kde nám hlavní záporák jako tuctový padouch převypráví svůj "mistrovský" plán a asi i důvod, proč došlo ke katastrofě.
*possible spoiler*
Proč klonování? Proboha proč? Vaughane... taková blbost. 8 knížek čekám na nějaké vysvětlení a pak přijde tohle...
1,5* - Pokud budu ctít Goodreadsovské popisky, ta
Jason McKinney
Mar 11, 2014 Jason McKinney rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars. This was definitely better than the last couple of volumes, but it still wasn't perfect like the ones that came earlier in the series. The upside here is that the plot only focused on 2-3 strands without going all over the place like it has previously. The downside is that this plot (at least in its current form) isn't necessarily one that warrants ten volumes. If there had been more to it, definitely, but at this point, I think it could have been winnowed down to about seven. That ...more
Derson Manhique
Dec 20, 2014 Derson Manhique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2014
Então, o mistério acabou. :)
Paige
Jun 11, 2014 Paige rated it really liked it
I know what killed all the men! I was not over the moon about what it was, but I wont spoil it. Let's just say it was kind of a boring rational reason. On the other hand Dr. Mann's family's hand in all of it was very interesting. I would've rated this book lower, but I loved how they pulled together some of the people from the past and showed what they were doing now. Like the supermodel from the first book makes an appearance. Everything has almost come full circle and I can't wait to find out ...more
  • Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves
  • Preacher, Volume 8: All Hell's a-Coming
  • DMZ, Vol. 4: Friendly Fire
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 7: The Wound
  • Sweet Tooth, Vol. 3: Animal Armies
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

Y: The Last Man (10 books)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man #1)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step (Y: The Last Man, #3)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword (Y: The Last Man, #4)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl (Y: The Last Man, #6)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, #7)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores (Y: The Last Man, #10)

“You're right that not everything we do has to have some kind of social agenda, but that doesn't mean it can only be anesthetizing crap.” 1 likes