Start by marking “The Stone Testament” as Want to Read:
The Stone Testament

The Stone Testament

As foretold in ancient texts, and marked by the Mayan Long Count, time has nearly run out. Foreshadowed by a sequence of bizarre phenomena and natural disasters, the End Time is fast approaching. Only Abraham Black has the knowledge to stop this from happening, ancient wisdom inherited from those who have gone before him: Edwardian scholar, Aurel Lockwood and American adve ...more
Published 2007 by Scholastic Children’s Books

To ask other readers questions about The Stone Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stone Testament

Lottie
Jul 13, 2012 Lottie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sceptical at first, I'm glad I kept on going with this one.

It has a strange set up; about the first 300 pages are foundation and then everything suddenly happens at the end. I got a little confused at times, but I suppose that is the nature of stories that contain time travel in the way this one does.

The exploration of deities and earth magic is just wonderful, especially if you're a massive nerd for that sort of thing. It pieces itself together and really makes you think about the ancient pas
Jodi
Nov 09, 2009 Jodi rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
If you haven't already heard, the world is going to end in 2012. In this book, it isn't too late to set right what was once toppled. With shades of Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull and nods to Madeleine L'engle's Swiftly Tilting Planet, it's up to three teenagers to go back to Elder Times and make sense of the mystery and magic surrounding the crystal skull. Unfortunately, the nature of the book didn't translate well to audio. Too many changes in points of view, too many characters. Although ...more
Emma
Sep 21, 2014 Emma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe noch nie so ein Buch gelesen, bei dem das Potential einfach aus dem Fenster geschmissen wurde. Echt traurig.
Der Anfang der Geschichte ist sehr gut und dann lässt es schnell nach. Ist zuerst interessant und packend und dannach wird es nur langweilig.
Ich muss auch sagen, dass Ich die Geschichte zum Teil auch nicht verstanden habe, denn mir blieben viele Fragen unbeantwortet.
Um es noch ein mal auf den Punkt zu bringen, die Idee dahinter ist genial und auch etwas anderes vielleicht auch
Georgie
Aug 11, 2010 Georgie rated it it was ok
Although, I usually find Celia Rees to be a fantastic author with many brilliant books I didn't get as much from this novel. The Stone Testament makes you think and questions not only your idea of reality but what lies beyond this one, however I found the characters emotionally hard to connect to, possibly due to the minium use of dialogue. THe storyline was good and very inventive but with so many character's roles in different eras linking to one event it was difficult to sort out each individ ...more
Christi
May 24, 2010 Christi rated it liked it
Shelves: time-travel
Zilah, the only survivor of a world-wide suicide cult finds her life entwined with Kris, a streetwise gang leader and Adam, an orphan who has been raised by a religious order. Guided by two mystical adults and writings from the past these three must travel back in time to prevent the distruction of the world which according to the ancient Mayan calendar will happen on the winter solstice.

It took me longer to connect with this story than with the other two books I've read by this author [Witch Ch
Shrilaxmi
Aug 16, 2015 Shrilaxmi rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: NOBODY
Shelves: library
I have mixed feelings about this book.

The good: The reason I liked this book was how seemingly random events were connected. It was well written too.

The bad: It killed me to get to last punctuation mark but I did it. And I had such high hopes in the beginning too. The story was great but it got a little boring in the middle.The long descriptions were one of the myriad flaws of this book. Without them it could have been really impressive. The ending was also pretty abrupt.
Noodle TheNaughtyNightOwl
Tried to read, but just couldn't get into, The Stone Testament by Celia Rees.

It started out with good promise, but was way too disjointed for me to get the feel for it.

I like a bit of mystery in my stories, but this one began to downright baffle me. Was it about a cult or about the end of the world? Or maybe it was about evil gods or something.

Anyway, this one gets...

2/10: "Managed half the book, tempted to read more but just couldn't get there" on the NBRS.
Jenni
Aug 24, 2015 Jenni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Celia Rees is one of my favourite authors and while this is quite different from some of her other books, it is a good read. It's not a casual read, you do need to read it quite thoroughly or you might get lost but it is well worth it - although if you asked me for a summary I don't think I could give you one!
Namita
May 01, 2011 Namita rated it really liked it
I have literally JUST started reading this. :B Fingers crossed its as good as it seems.- I wrote this days ago.

A recent update:

This book is awesome. Purely. Its adventure packed, thrilling, exciting, makes you think tonnes and is a soon to be fave!!! Im nearly finsihed..will let you know soon! :D
Flabnbone
Jan 05, 2011 Flabnbone rated it did not like it
The story is focused on Adam and this girl called Zillah, who escaped from a religious cult.Although I was captured in by the first two or so chapters but gradually it went on and on and eventually I lost it entirely and could not read on.
Ella
Feb 10, 2008 Ella rated it it was amazing
Creepy, but very interesting. It's definitely not light reading--to start with, it's about the impending end of the world. The main characters travel through time, but in a completely non-traditional way that feels much more believable and intact.
Celia
I couldn't finish this - I thought it would be a good apocalyptic teen novel, but it was so dull. I realised I was skimming in desperate hope that it would end soon, and when both the main characters were made unconscious, I decided to give up.
Beatrix Carino
Aug 04, 2012 Beatrix Carino rated it it was ok
nearly halfway, I got bored of the story.
The plot wasn't that clear for me.
Stefanie
Mar 11, 2012 Stefanie rated it did not like it
Couldn't finish. It was going OK, I was getting through but then you had pages and pages of seemingly unrelated letters which to me were too detailed to be letters and it was just boring.
Grace
Jan 10, 2015 Grace rated it it was ok
I think it's either I've grown out of these kinds of paranormal / different world books, or the whole story's just not igniting any passion nor imagination in me.
Venessa Stella
Feb 25, 2013 Venessa Stella rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like this book! To my mind it was really confusing and boring!
Niki
May 05, 2014 Niki rated it really liked it
For the first 300 pages or so nothing really happened and at times was really confusing but I really liked the ending!!!
Bekah
Mar 12, 2012 Bekah rated it liked it
Shelves: plain-weird
A very strange book that completely baffled me towards the end. Was left completely confused with the book!
Beth Farrell
Beth Farrell rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2014
Inki
Inki rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2013
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Brianna
Brianna rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2008
Aurora
Aurora rated it did not like it
Jul 28, 2015
Angie
Angie rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2012
Liza
Liza rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2010
Nick Turner
Nick Turner rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2012
Clare
Clare rated it it was ok
Oct 17, 2013
Angelica Chong
Angelica Chong rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2012
Lesley
Lesley rated it did not like it
Sep 02, 2011
Jennifer rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Heart of Glass
  • Cosmo Cosmolino
  • Wavelength
  • Out of Practice
  • Andy Warhol's Dracula (Anno Dracula, #3.5)
  • Blink of an Eye
  • I Thought We Were Friends
  • The Unfinished Novel and Other Stories
  • Redemption
  • Victorian Pharmacy: Rediscovering Home Remedies and Recipes
  • Blood Web (Caitlin Diggs, #1)
  • Thieves (Thieves, #1)
  • Hush
  • The Day I Lost You
Celia Rees (born 1949) is an English author of children's literature, including some horror and fantasy books.

She was born in 1949 in Solihull, West Midlands but now lives in Leamington Spa with her husband and teenage daughter. Rees attended University of Warwick and earned a degree in History of Politics. After university, she taught English in Coventry secondary schools for seventeen years, dur
More about Celia Rees...