Start by marking “The Lies We Believe” as Want to Read:
The Lies We Believe

The Lies We Believe

This newly repackaged edition examines the lies people tell themselves that damage emotional health, relationships, and spiritual life. Psychologist Dr. Chris Thurman guides the reader through part one that identifies the different areas of self-lies, religious lies, marital lies, distortion lies, and worldly lies. Part Two delves into the issues of what is truth, and Part ...more
Published May 6th 2003 by Thomas Nelson (first published November 30th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Lies We Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lies We Believe

Lisa Skabrat
Apr 26, 2013 Lisa Skabrat rated it it was amazing
If we want to find our authenticity, our thought processes have to be unveiled. As we discover how we think, we need direction for changing the thought processes that aren’t beneficial to us. The way we think is the first area we need to consider if we want to promote our individuality and find our uniqueness. Dr. Chris Thurman has some fantastic resources for us to use as we tackle this huge topic.

The Lies We Believe begins to unwrap our misconceptions about ourselves, our world and our relati
Brandee Shafer
May 08, 2015 Brandee Shafer rated it liked it
This book was required reading from my therapist, who values it as very foundational. The premise is that--just as our physical selves are what we eat--our emotional selves are what we think. The first part of the book is about lies we shouldn't believe, and the second is about the truths we should. All of the information is presented within a Christian context.

I felt impatient with this book for the most part: not because I didn't agree with Thurman, but because I did. I just didn't find his wo
Beth S.
Mar 12, 2011 Beth S. rated it liked it
Shelves: 52-in-52
I don't read much non-fiction, and really read NO self-help... so this was new territory for me. Overall, it was a healthy struggle. I definitely did not agree with everything this author had to say and found his tone downright disrespectful at times, but he challenged me in a good way. There was also a little more religion in his paradigm than I am absolutely comfortable with, but overall I would recommend this book to friends.
Dee Toomey
Chris Thurman has written a good self-help book with this one. In every chapter he identifies the common lies that we or society tells us that we believe, explains how this adversely affects our lives, and gives us tools that we can use to correct these beliefs. I found myself recognizing me in several of the "lies we believe" and recognizing we are doing this is a great first step to a better life. Good book.
Natalie Long
Aug 17, 2013 Natalie Long rated it liked it
This book goes a long way toward clearing my mind of the cobwebs so the truths I know of God can be seen. It is very well written. Although it has the required partial-session examples they do not seem as trite as in other similar books. Thurman speaks to the reader with respect and grace verses a masked form of condiscension. I've found the book works well as a short, daily, encouraging and inspiring read. God speaks through Mr. Thurman.
Deb
Jan 03, 2010 Deb rated it really liked it
If you are on a quest for a "sound mind," this will serve you well. I don't read many Christian books anymore, but if I were to recommend one or two, this would be at the top of my list. It delves into the many flaws in our thinking, the tapes we play over and over again, that need to be shut out of our minds.
Taylor
Jul 01, 2008 Taylor is currently reading it
I am doing this with a book group. Very interesting to see what covert sabotage I wreak on my own life by acting on some propositions that I know in my head to be false. Fosters good discussion in our group but requires group to have a good base of trust and willingness to be vulnerable to really dive into topics the book raises.
Jeremiah Gumm
Mar 08, 2016 Jeremiah Gumm rated it really liked it
Excellent counseling resource that deserves a place in the pastoral counselor's toolkit. Exercises are very helpful. Thurman does a pretty good job grasping that a believer is both sinner and saint. Great resource!
Amy Timm
Sep 02, 2013 Amy Timm rated it really liked it
Really good study of the lies we have been taught growing up versus Biblical Truth. This book had some great insights regarding the misconceptions people have going into marriage, which also accounts for why divorce rates are so high.
Bob Flores
May 08, 2014 Bob Flores rated it really liked it
This was a pretty awesome read. It takes a different perspective on how to get down to root lies that affect us all. Probably the best thing about this book is the abcdef tool he outlines for personal use. Definitely a recommended read if your doing this type of work with people.
Kurt Kirchhoff
Jan 30, 2013 Kurt Kirchhoff rated it it was amazing
It will absolutely shock your foundation as to what you may believe is truth but in reality a lie that we have begun to believe. Dr. Thurman does a great job of breaking down each lie and contrasting it to the biblical truth. I really enjoyed this book...it is a game changer.
Bogarty1
Mar 16, 2011 Bogarty1 rated it really liked it
i read this book with a group of friends. Lets just say it change my perspective and helped me understand my decision making processes in my day to day interactions with others. i would highly recommend if you are looking to take yourself to another level introspectively.
Jenny Johnson
Feb 18, 2013 Jenny Johnson rated it liked it
It was a decent book. I learned a lot about things I believe and don't believe that are lies or truths in my life. I was a little irritated, though, how the author continued to make it all religious. I am a reigious person, but I don't believe that everything is completely related to religion.
Mae Walker
Really interesting look into how what you think affects how you act. I was amazed how many of these "lies" I know to be untrue but still think in my heart are true.
Donna Goetter
The number one cause of our unhappiness?? Read the book and see what applies to you and your happiness
Jerry
Aug 31, 2009 Jerry rated it it was amazing
We have been programmed from chlidhood to believe a multitude of others limiting beliefs, that we took on as our own.
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Sandi
Sandi rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Felicia
Felicia rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Deirdre
Deirdre rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2011
Amy Knueppel
Amy Knueppel rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2011
Betty Paredes
Betty Paredes rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Leann
Leann rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2008
Martin Wiles
Martin Wiles rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Randy Miller
Randy Miller rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2009
Adam Gracia
Adam Gracia rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Ronni Hall
Ronni Hall rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Martin K
Martin K rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
  • Grace Walk: What You've Always Wanted in the Christian Life
  • When Work and Family Collide: Keeping Your Job from Cheating Your Family
  • Best of A. W. Tozer
  • The Papa Prayer
  • Irre! - Wir behandeln die Falschen: Unser Problem sind die Normalen - Eine heitere Seelenkunde