Start by marking “The Kitchen Readings: Untold Stories of Hunter S. Thompson” as Want to Read:
The Kitchen Readings: Untold Stories of Hunter S. Thompson

The Kitchen Readings: Untold Stories of Hunter S. Thompson

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  917 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Warning!*

This book contains the following:

Unsafe use of powerful firearms in combination with explosives

Cultivation of illegal crops

Impressionable minors being exposed to illicit activities

Piloting of automobiles under impaired conditions

Transporting large sums of cash across national borders

*Stunts performed in this book were undertaken by professionals. Do not attempt th
Published February 5th 2008 by Harper Perennial (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Kitchen Readings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kitchen Readings

Ray Dunsmore
Aug 09, 2014 Ray Dunsmore rated it really liked it
A hilarious and wonderful insight into the personal life of Hunter S. Thompson, journalist/agent of chaos. The more I read about him, the more I'm fascinated: he's a guy that I could listen to stories about for hours, but damned if I'd ever want to actually know him. Sure, the conversations would be second to none, but god knows what type of business I'd be getting myself into if I signed that contract. Hunter Thompson was an honest to god madman. Truth be told, the world needs more madmen, but ...more
Karl
Jan 23, 2008 Karl rated it liked it
Received an advanced copy of this book. It was pretty good, especially after reading the Jan Wener 'Gonzo' book. This book is a collection of stories about the Good Doctor told by his friends in Woody Creek. This is the real HST and not the caricature that you read about in his books or films. It's nice and touching in it's way, especially at the end when dealing with his death and memorial cannon shot (which from everything I've heard was way too Hollywood and not very HST at all.) It's was int ...more
Brianna
Dec 14, 2008 Brianna rated it really liked it
My first comprehensive exposure to Hunter S. Thompson. I chose it over the new Life of Gonzo. I think I preferred the format - a bunch of stories, collected and narrated by two of his best friends. I thought it would be a nice, honest, heartfelt introduction to him; then, I could go and read the other bio. I'm determined to know more about the man before I read what he wrote himself.

I was moved. I cried. I remember that I was reading the book in the car outside of work, waiting for my parents. I
Robert
Jan 26, 2015 Robert rated it it was ok
I'm a big fan of Hunter S. Thompson's work so I immediately gravitated to this book when I first heard about it. Unfortunately, the book is extremely okay. I'm not sure if it's the format of the book (short stories and chapters) or how a number of them blurred together, it's just not as enjoyable as I thought. What also bothered me when reading was how the book was touted as being about the real Hunter Stockton Thompson and not the cartoon caricature that many people have in their minds of the m ...more
Ted Bache
Two friends of Hunter S. Thompson, including one who is the county sheriff, got together and researched and wrote 29 story glimpses of the gonzo journalist that will have you in tears and stitches: The Kitchen Readings - Untold Stories of Hunter S. Thompson.

The authors are Michael Cleverly, an Aspen-area artist, and Bob Braudis, the sheriff of Pitkin County, Colorado, where Hunter’s hometown of Woody Creek is located.

The kitchen of his house was the center of Hunter’s Owl Farm life and both Clev
Joe
Nov 02, 2010 Joe rated it liked it
A portrait of HST by his buddies in Woody Creek, where the Doc lived most of his life. Its paints a warm picture of a genuine American eccentric, who, while not as loco as his own works portray him to be was nonetheless a highly odd character. A writer of immense talent, Thompson could be a difficult character, but he inspired a great loyalty in his friends and neighbours, and life was certainly never dull when he was around to liven up the place. An unashamedly uncritical look at the man, but ...more
Amberly
Feb 19, 2008 Amberly rated it liked it
We're not used to reading about HST from anyone other than the good Doctor himself, and he is certainly the best at it - but now that he's gone, 3 years ago tomorrow, we're left with his inner circle, gonzo-lite by osmosis; slightly self-important, not particularly observant, but a painted picture non-the-less of Doc in his more private moments, his reactions to ardent fans, neighbors, cattle and authority. Sparse insights on his character, a trickle of information beefed up by the authors' pers ...more
Mindy
Apr 12, 2009 Mindy rated it it was amazing
I read this book straight through. Maybe it was so interesting to me because I lived in Aspen in the mid-70's and saw some of this from the side lines. I have always been drawn to and repulsed by Thompson's books and the stories about him. The stories from his closest friends were exactly what I expected. It made me wonder about the parts they left out - for example there was hardly any mention of the women in his life (other than his assistant) or his children.
j_ay
Jul 16, 2008 j_ay rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
Not the first and certainly not the last book to come out from people who knew HST, which, of course, would have pissed off HST (‘what goes on in the kitchen stays in the kitchen’).

Overall nothing really new in here, the usual HST stuff; basically the weird, rather sad tale of a man who wrote a few half-decent things and then felt content to live the rest of his life barely writing and coming across like a cartoon character (in more ways than one).
R
Jan 21, 2009 R rated it it was ok
I felt that the stories in this book were more teases than anecdotes...they seemed too edited to me. I love to hear about HST, but this book left me with more questions than answers. Perhaps in the hands of people not looking to protect themselves, this book might have been better.

I still think this book is worth reading. There might be better books out there (try "Kingdom of Fear").
Interzone
Feb 06, 2008 Interzone rated it liked it
its a decent read and naturally a must for any fan of HST. its a collection of personal remembrances of his life.

i have only a few issues with it:

the authors seem to feel the need to tell their life story and so forth. also their word choices throughout the book do not really fit in with the context and attracts more attention than the actual substance.

r.i.p.
Michael Martin
Aug 15, 2013 Michael Martin rated it really liked it
"Ugh. Not very interesting or enlightening. I've read much better books that tell the life of HST in a far more captivating manner. I may never return to finish this one."

Those were my thoughts when I first dipped into this book. But the pace and style soon settled in with me and I found myself enjoying the reminiscing more and more. I'm glad I returned and finished it.
Richat
Aug 14, 2009 Richat rated it it was amazing
This was a great, fast read, giving some fun insight into Doc. While the jacket promises a look at the inner man, the quiet, non-gonzo guy, really...it seems like there wasn't too much of that guy! Lots of fun stories of the wildman of Americna journalism. And, a great description of the memorial service, complete with fireworks loaded with HST's ashes.
Nate Jordon
Nov 24, 2008 Nate Jordon rated it it was amazing
It should come as no surprise that the personal stories of friends of HST and his antics are just as, if not more, entertaining as his books. Yet what we get here is more than just tales of Gonzo crazy...we get tales of another side of HST, one rarely seen or read about beyond the walls of the Owl Farm kitchen. A great read for any HST fan.
Riley
Dec 18, 2009 Riley rated it liked it
This book was written by two of Hunter S. Thompson's friends, and offers short chapters that describe his life in Colorado. I'm not a big Thompson fan -- I liked his book on the Hells Angels, but couldn't finish Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. But I enjoyed these stories about him, though the writing was bumpy at times.
Richie de Almeida
Feb 23, 2016 Richie de Almeida rated it it was amazing
My second reading. This was the first of several books by Thompson's friends to hit print. Haven't read the others but it strikes me that Hunter sort of turned a lot of people into writers of a sort. I think that really speaks for the kind of influence this guy had on his friends and acquaintances.
Traycee
Dec 06, 2010 Traycee rated it liked it
It was a pretty quick read and fun to read stories about HST at home written by close friends. Both guys were pretty honest in their assesments of their friend and his escapades, his temper and his personality quirks ~ in a "best buddies" kind of way.
arterialturns
May 02, 2008 arterialturns rated it really liked it
Tales of the good doctor by two of his closest associates. Thoroughly entertaining, engaging, fun to read. I love anecdotal tales of people. Simultaneously reinforces stereotypes about Thompson, while also enlightening about unknown aspects of the man.
Kimberlee Jane
Oct 29, 2013 Kimberlee Jane rated it it was amazing
I loved this novel. The stories made me laugh aloud, which wasn't fantastic considering I was on a 6-hour plane ride. I felt like I was sitting at the kitchen table, watching crazy genius unfold around me. For HST fans, this is a must-read!
Andrew
Apr 03, 2009 Andrew rated it liked it
I somewhat lost some respect for HST after reading this. The man was a redneck and got away with pretty much anything, because it was part of his persona...
The book was an interesting read though, stories told by friends of HST.....
W.T.
Feb 22, 2009 W.T. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I have family and friends that knew Hunter and I heard great stories about him; this book made me feel as though I, myself, spent time with him and I hadn't laughed this much while reading since reading "A Confederacy of Dunces"
Brent
Aug 21, 2010 Brent rated it really liked it
I found all of the stories about HST's bouts with his neighbours, local press, Aspen vacationers, and friends to be very entertaining. He was truly unpredictable and lived his life under a completely different set of rules.
Tom Jolly
Mar 13, 2013 Tom Jolly rated it did not like it
I'd call it OK. Some crazy tales of HST from friends that basically prove that he was as wild as we thought he was. It was a decent read on a cross-country flight but basically cotton candy in terms of substance.
Tony Moya
Jun 19, 2012 Tony Moya rated it really liked it
After reading several of HST's works, I decided on this book to learn more on the man. Some of the stories in this book are as funny as they are intriguing. A must read for HST fans.
Nick
Jul 01, 2008 Nick rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Hunter fans
At times both funny and sad. Nobody knew hunter better than his friends. His legend is often larger than he was, which is exceptional for a large man with an enormous personality.
Mikhael
Jul 16, 2011 Mikhael rated it did not like it
"A bunch of garbage told poorly. Hunter S. is only interesting when there's a point. This book might as well be a college freshmen talking about a crazy party."
Comedian999
May 18, 2011 Comedian999 rated it liked it
Some interesting stories... but the most interesting part was seeing that Thompson and I have the same doormat ("Come Back With A Warrant").
Tim
May 30, 2008 Tim added it
i actually met the guys that wrote this(sherrif Bob from aspen is a madman) and felt obligated to buy the book but its good if you like gonzo
Uncle
Sep 12, 2009 Uncle rated it really liked it
Stories by people/ friends... not the typical crazy over-the-top things about HST. Though some of that is in here too.
Bonnie
Oct 10, 2011 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Hunter Thompson Fans
Recommended to Bonnie by: Drew brought it home from the Library
The behind the scenes at Owl Farm a well written book by Hunters closest friends. This book brought laughter and tears
  • The Gonzo Way: A Celebration of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
  • Outlaw Journalist
  • Hunter: The Strange and Savage Life of Hunter S. Thompson
  • The Joke's Over: Ralph Steadman on Hunter S. Thompson
  • Gonzo
  • Fear and Loathing: The Strange and Terrible Saga of Hunter S. Thompson
  • Literary Outlaw: The Life and Times of William S. Burroughs
  • Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson
  • When The Going Gets Weird: The Twisted Life And Times Of Hunter S. Thompson:  A Very Unauthorized Biography
  • I Celebrate Myself: The Somewhat Private Life of Allen Ginsberg