Start by marking “Psycho II” as Want to Read:
Psycho II

Psycho II (Psycho #2)

You remember Norman Bates-the shy motel manager with the fatal mother fixation. Now, years after his bout of butchery that horrified the world, Norman is at large again, breaking free from the psycho ward, cutting a shocking swath of blood all the way to Hollywood-where, so it happens, they are making a movie about Norman's life and crimes. A movie that suddenly and terrif ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by iBooks (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Psycho II, please sign up.

Dennis Elten I Think you are confusing Psycho with the prequel tv series based on the movie Psycho. Bates Motel is a totaly different beast. But if you watch the…moreI Think you are confusing Psycho with the prequel tv series based on the movie Psycho. Bates Motel is a totaly different beast. But if you watch the series you should read the original robert Bloch novel and watch the Psycho movie series :)(less)
ADignorantium I downloaded the 3 book collection "Psycho - Three Complete Novels" by Robert Bloch for free here -> http://ebook.bike/books/163647

I've not been…more

I've not been able to find Psycho II in eBook format anywhere else.(less)

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Norman Bates is still insane, but he's treated well enough as a librarian overseer in the the mental ward of a psychiatric hospital. Years of therapeutic work unravels when a nun confronts his enemies for him. After his great escape, his psychiatrist hunts him down, tracking him to the places he's most likely to hit next.

A very quick read - mainly due to Bloch's easily absorbed writing style - Psycho II mainly offers general slasher quibbles but does toss in a small surprise or two. It's not a
Marvin
Feb 06, 2013 Marvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autographed, horror
This is the story of how this book came about, as related to me and others by Robert Bloch at a party.

Robert Bloch first heard that Universal Pictures were planning a sequel of Psycho through the studio grapevine. They didn't even bother to call him. He called the studio and offered to write the screenplay to which they replied "No thanks, we'll write our own." So the author said he would simply write his own sequel. In spite of threatened law suits, Bloch went ahead and wrote Psycho II before
Cameron
Sep 28, 2016 Cameron rated it did not like it
I. Hate. This. Book.

Wow. I can truly see why this has such low ratings. There are so many reasons. In fact, I will just list them for you. Warning: Some spoilers may be graphic.

1. (view spoiler)

2. (view spoiler)
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
Almost thirty years after the horrific events at the Bates Motel, some Hollywood sleazebags are getting ready to produce a major motion picture about Norman and his mother. Norman, meanwhile, unaware of the plans the west coast vultures have been making, and having spent the decades cooped up in the local asylum and convinced of his innocence, manages to break out and begin a rampage of murder and sex and possibly revenge. When it seems Norman has been killed, his therapist Adam Claiborne knows ...more
Wayne Simmons
Jul 08, 2012 Wayne Simmons rated it liked it
This was a strange book.

Started off very promising, the focus - as you would imagine - squarely on Norman Bates, now a patient in a mental institution following the first book/ movie adaptation's outcome (and if that's a spoiler for you, you must have been living on the moon since 1960 :D). Safe to say, ol' Norm escapes, and we're back in business. This part of the book was excellent: Norman's twisted logic is brought to life brilliantly by Bloch, his stalk and slash scenes wonderfully realised
Thomas Strömquist
Oh, my. I sincerely hope that there was no-one actually waiting the 23 years that went by between the effective and thrilling Psycho and it's follow-up. This one starts off as a huge Halloween (movie, 1979) rip-off and then goes from campy, trashy, b-movie-style, run-of-the-mill schlocker to worse.

It does have it's moments (and sometimes it's actually evident that the same writer penned the first part) but you are going to have to stomach a lot of suspension of disbelief, cardboard characters (
Scott Rice
Jul 12, 2013 Scott Rice rated it really liked it
"There is a part of the Devil in every man. And I will show him to you." (Santo Vizzini, Chapter Twenty-Four)

And Robert Bloch does. Part pot-boiled paperback page-turner, and part biting criticism of the Hollywood horror/splatter film genre he had, in part, helped to create, this novel is twenty times better than any of sequels or prequels to Hitchcock's faithful adaptation of the original novel that have been churned out.

Norman Bates escapes from the mental ward where he has been imprisoned sin
Richard
Aug 13, 2014 Richard rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-14
Who would have thought the sequel to Psycho would involve necrophilia, gang rape, and a closeted gay actor playing Norman Bates in the movie of his life? Actually, aside from Norman's escape from the mental hospital in the opening chapter, pretty much nothing else goes the way you might expect.

This is just pure pulpy goodness. Not the least bit subtle, but a hell of a lot of fun.

With Psycho, of course you know the twist, but the pleasure comes from Bloch's clever misdirection. With this book, yo
Stargirl
Sep 03, 2011 Stargirl rated it it was amazing
I have read this book a bunch of time and there is always something new to enjoy in it.

Bloch was a master and this is him at top form. In many ways it's the ultimate Bloch book. It's got the thrills, the satire, the humor, the insanity and the vicious puns that litter his entire output.

I wouldn't dare give away the ending.

I so wish Hollywood had the balls to adapt this book instead of going with the film they eventually put out (although granted, it wasn't too bad). But this book is really so
Adam Dunn
Jun 01, 2013 Adam Dunn rated it did not like it
Psycho was what pulp fiction can be. This lame sequel is what happens when an author tries to take it to another level.

I don't think anyone was asking for all the psychological insight, the commentary on violence in the media, the studio executives. I don't care about any of that. All I cared about was Norman Bates who leaves the book at 20% and doesn't come back until 96%.

The actor who is working undercover in a gay male strip club with Burt Reynolds and John Travolta is never heard from again
11811 (Eleven)
Jul 16, 2014 11811 (Eleven) rated it really liked it
I knew in advance that Bloch wrote this primarily as a big "fuck you" to the movie industry but despite that, or perhaps because of it, I wanted to check it out. Most of it was a 3 star read that seemed to lack direction and I had no idea where everything was headed but my disappointment was a product of my own lack of imagination and faith in this author to impress me with a sequel. The ending changed all that and quickly brought this up to 4+ stars.

Brilliant. Highly recommended.
Adriana
Aug 04, 2010 Adriana rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I had great hopes for this book, but was left dissapointed when I realized that Bloch used this sequel to write his own parody of slasher films instead of a proper continuation to Norman's story. As a thriller is not that bad, but I liked Psycho so much that I was expecting something more... Psycho II starts great, with Norman returning to his old self and trying to end what was started 22 years ago, but things go downhill from there, and I quickly lost most of my interest.
Luis D'hers
Oct 03, 2016 Luis D'hers rated it it was ok
Una película de cine millonario en los 80s

Es divertido pero arruina el personaje de Norman Bates y lo tira a la calle, me la imagino protagonizada por los de Miami Vice.

Una cagada.
Sunshine
Sep 15, 2016 Sunshine rated it liked it
Disappointed in this one, I've become a bit obsessed with the psycho franchise and was really expecting a bit more from this one.
Loving the Bates Motel series!
Hoping the final instalment of the trilogy is a bit more satisfying.
Tracy Shephard
Apr 01, 2016 Tracy Shephard rated it really liked it
Norman, now the librarian of the State Hospital where he has been incarcerated, is looking out of the window.

Not crazy anymore, with the help of Dr Claibourne, he now knows who is and who is not.

Sister Barbara and Sister Cupentine are visiting the hospital with the intention of doing a kindness for the patients and Sister Barbara, who previously studied Psychology, hopes that this will lead to a meeting with the notorious Norman Bates. Talking of Normans treatment and progress she is pleased tha
Sophie
Mar 14, 2014 Sophie rated it really liked it
(J'ai beaucoup hésité entre le 3 et le 4 étoiles pour celui-ci)

(spoiler du tome 1 dans ce paragraphe) Psycho 2 est, comme son titre l'indique, la suite du roman à succès (et source des deux films) Psycho. Nous retrouvons Norman Bates, qui s'échappe, après plusieurs années, de l'institut psychiatrique où il avait été enfermé après les événements du premier roman. Celui-ci part dans une cavale et découvre qu'ils sont en train de faire un film sur son histoire, et décide d'aller faire un tour sur l
Deni
I was extremely excited to read what comes next after the first book. It was catchy when Norman escaped the asylum dressed as a nun. I loved that part. This book concentrates a lot on the characters that are involved into making a movie about Norman Bates and the events that happened at the famous Bates Motel. Frankly, I got bored of them, until I reached the end. I thought Robert Bloch would come up with something else besides that alter ego schizophrenia thing. Even if I kinda expected somethi ...more
Natalie
Oct 14, 2013 Natalie rated it it was ok
As a big fan of both the Psycho films and the first book, I had high hopes for Psycho II. Unfortunately I was left feeling disappointed after finishing this book which in itself I found a chore to read. I felt that it seemed rushed and poorly written and for something that started out as quite a good concept, the plot just went into decline very fast leading to a very abrupt ending. Without giving any spoilers, I did find the ending interesting in a way, however it still does not sit quite right ...more
Strawberry Fields
Dec 12, 2015 Strawberry Fields rated it it was ok
I never knew that Psycho was a trilogy! So, of course, when I discovered this I knew I must read all three.

This book was ok...not what I expected. I can't say more on that without spoiling the book.

This book was filled with cheese...but that's ok sometimes. I just read several serious gut wrenching intellectual books, so a "cheeseburger" book every once in awhile is fine among the gourmet.

Honestly, if you liked Psycho, I would tell you not to get your hopes up about thid book. Just take it or le
Lenny
May 06, 2012 Lenny rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this just as much as I did the first one as I really find Norman Bates to be a very good character and he plays an amazing chilling insane person. This continues the story of the first book and really goes into detail of how crazy Norman really is and how he has such an obsession over his "mother".
Ignacio Senao f
Si te digo que trata sobre que quieren realizar la película de lo sucedido en Psicosis I y que Bates se escapa del manicomio y se dedica a matar. ¿A qué piensas que este autor quiso aprovechar el tirón de la película que hicieron sobre su primer libro? Con esta premisa e intenciones sólo puede salir este somnífero libro.
Evey Morgan
Oct 11, 2015 Evey Morgan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro es una paranoia constante. La historia de Bates debió empezar y terminar en una historia cerrada. Esto es una ida de olla considerable y lo peor es que la escribe el mismísimo Bloch.

Se me escapan las razones por las que seguir una historia y además con un argumento tan absurdo. En fin...

Mi segunda lectura de Halloween y las dos se llevan un 1/5. Esto si que es terrorífico.
Norma
Mar 25, 2015 Norma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mistery-horror
La primera mitad del libro me gustó mucho, fluía bien y no me aburrió para nada, pero de ahí en adelante es un desastre. Siento que perdío un poco el hilo de la historia, y la trama estaba un poco enredada y forzada, no se muy bien si el final me ha gustado o no. Lo senti un poco cliché, pero bueno, leeré el siguiente a ver como termina esto.
Wendy
Jul 05, 2016 Wendy rated it really liked it
I kept waiting for the part that was in any way like the movie. Nope. Completely different. I kind of wished it wasn`t so long, parts that had absolutely nothing to do with the story could have been left out. I liked the parts in the asylum, gave some background. But overall, I definitely appreciated this novel way more than the movie. ...more
Jamie Henderson
Jun 04, 2013 Jamie Henderson rated it liked it
It starts off well and makes an interesting alternative to the film which bore a completely different storyline but the middle section in particular drags on and does not pick up the pace until the last few chapters which was disappointing. Still it was good to see Norman back ( albeit briefly ).
Jenifer
Feb 03, 2009 Jenifer rated it it was ok
Perhaps one of the weirdest horror/suspense books I've ever read.

Sure it kept me guessing till the end, but the ending left me...disappointed. Could have used a little more, but just didn't have it.
James Arnold
Jul 16, 2013 James Arnold rated it did not like it
Started off really good with his escape an everything else fell right into place. From those first few chapter the story took a bad nose dive. The ending was pretty good I will say. Great beginning, good ending, bad body. Nuff said.
Cassandra
May 08, 2013 Cassandra rated it liked it
interesting... Bloch gets on a high horse about Hollywood while continuing to be one of the most misogynistic writers I have ever encountered. I'm going to finish the trilogy only because it makes for easy audio book listening while at work.
Donald
May 07, 2013 Donald rated it did not like it
So so so so bad. Bloch should have stopped at Paycho. I certainly should have. Lady who lost her copy on the train, you have no idea how lucky you are ...
Neri.
Dec 20, 2015 Neri. rated it did not like it
This was a weird experience...Nothing, compared to the previous entry to this series. The plot was weird, the character development - none. I didn't liked this book at all.
  • The Final Conflict: Omen III (The Omen #3)
  • X Marks the Spot (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #1)
  • The Fog
  • Sixty-Five Stirrup Iron Road
  • Night Visions: The Hellbound Heart
  • Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful
  • Herbst & Winter. Zwei Novellen: Stand by me/Atemtechnik
Robert Albert Bloch was a prolific American writer. He was the son of Raphael "Ray" Bloch (1884, Chicago-1952, Chicago), a bank cashier, and his wife Stella Loeb (1880, Attica, Indiana-1944, Milwaukee, WI), a social worker, both of German-Jewish descent.

Bloch wrote hundreds of short stories and over twenty novels, usually crime fiction, science fiction, and, perhaps most influentially, horror fict
More about Robert Bloch...

Psycho (4 books)
  • Psycho
  • Psycho: Sanitarium
  • Psycho House

“Norman Bates will never die...” 15 likes
“Strange how everyone tried to disguise truth with nonsense. Like the slang for death: kicking the bucket, wiped out, snuffed, wasted, blown away. The light touch to dispel the heavy fear.” 2 likes