Start by marking “Cross Creek Cookery” as Want to Read:
Preview

Cross Creek Cookery

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The Classic Book on Southern Cooking
First published in 1942, Cross Creek Cookery was compiled by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings at the request of readers who wanted to recreate the luscious meals described in Cross Creek -- her famous memoir of life in a Florida hamlet.
Lovers of old-fashioned, down-home cooking will treasure the recipes for Grit
Published March 20th 1996 by Touchstone (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Cross Creek Cookery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cross Creek Cookery

Lori
a taste of REAL Florida - people have no idea
Karen
The hardbound book costs upwards of $75, so I was thrilled when another booklover found me paperback copies of this at a thrift website! I love Rawlings' writings and this was no exception, even though nonfiction. Her sense of humor and appreciation of nature is wonderful and wonder-filled. Although she, and cooks of the time, did a few things which would have been prohibited by law, now, there is a deep respect for all of the natural food sources she uses in her recipes. Be warned, though, she ...more
Julie Davis
Picked this up in St. Augustine while on vacation as a souvenir and read it in a couple of days. Really a classic look at Southern cooking in 1942 as well as a great sample of this lyrical, humorous author's style.

I gulped it down and instantly started on my other souvenir, Cross Creek.
Nancy
Great snapshot of the times and Florida cooking. But MKR wasn't much of a cook according to her maid, Idella Parker ( who is still alive & living in Jacksonville). Idella did most of her cooking from memory which she learned from her mother.
Roberta
I'm not much of a cook these days, but I loved the anecdotes surrounding these authentic Southern recipes prepared by a favorite author of mine, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. With the amount of cream and salt pork in these recipes, I'm surprised there are many Southerners left! Some of the odd ones (to this urban northerner anyway) include: Gopher Stew, Blackbird Pie, Poke Weed on Toast, Jellied Tongue, and Cream of Fordhook Soup (fordhooks are a kind of bean)! One of my favorite stories is the one ...more
Melinda
This was a fun read after visiting MKR's home at Cross Creek. My favorite words are the ones she has for Black Bottom Pie: "I hope to be propped up on my dying bed and fed a generous portion. Then I think that I should refuse outright to die, for life would be too good to relinquish." I also enjoyed the story about poet Wallace Stevens who found the cooking at Cross Creek so tempting he abandoned his diet. At this point in time, it's hard to imagine that this was an actual, working cookbook for ...more
Karen Witzler
Florida cooking and folkways - before air conditioning.
Melissa
I grew up cooking with this book. It was my mom's and one of the first that I remember. Lots of interesting recipes and with background on an era in Florida that has disappeared. I still use many of the recipes today. Back in those pre-computer and pre-television days, most Southerners did a lot more physical labor; undernourishment not obesity was the problem then. One also has to remember (as the author constantly points out) these recipes were not everyday fare; most of them were prepared pri ...more
Ashley
I love the commentary given with each section and recipe. It makes Cross Creek Cookery as much a commentary on life in Florida in the 1930s and 1940s as it is a recipe book. Many of the recipes are nearly impossible to make as they require "cream from a Jersey cow" or alligator steaks, but they're all fun to read. Rawlings loved cooking and clearly had a talent for it. The recipes are a blend of her Florida recipes and her mother's more traditional recipes.
David Brightbill
My wife, a 3rd generation Floridian, sniffs and says that Rawlings wasn't a real southerner and that her recipes aren't authentic. Despite her Yankee upbringing, Rawlings was a keen observer and recorder; especially of the foodways of her cook.

I enjoy the stories scattered among the food as much as the recipes themselves. It's sort of the foodies companion to Cross Creek. I've got jellied chicken on my to-do list.
Shauna
This for me was a trip down memory lane. My grandparents and great grandmother lived in this era, in the heart of Florida. It was passed down to me dogeared and torn, underlined with all of my great grandmothers favorite recipes. Along with truly southern recipes Rawlings gives little antedotes on life, stories about Florida. Cross Creek Cookery really gives you a flavor of what life is like in Southern Florida.
Liz
This is more than a cookbook, threaded throughout with not only really good recipes, but truly inspiring words of wisdom.

Make the Parker House Rolls. Make Evadne's Gingerbread. What the hell, just make everything.
Malinda
I'm a big Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings fan. This is a cookbook that has some amazinging great recipes which she and her live-in cook used to use during her life in the early 1900s. The lobster newburg recipe is worth the price of the book. But, there is so much more!
Helena
The recipes are not always practical to follow (because really, how many of us keep Jersey cows around for fresh cream?), but they make interesting reading. Rawlings fans know she prided herself on her excellent cooking, so it's nice to get a peek into her kitchen.
Max Wilson
I'm unapologetic about my crush on M. K. Rawlings – how could you not love a woman publishing not one, but multiple recipes for swamp coot? Julia has nothing on Margorie!
Lana Joy
Delish recipies and funny stories all wrapped up into one! Love this book and the glimps it gives into Marjorie's life and best of all her kitchen.
Catherine
Just some good ol' food included in this teasury of Florida's finest receipes
<3 <3 <3 Love this cookbook.
Leslie
lovely, just lovely
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Amanda Moore
Amanda Moore marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Bill Phelps
Bill Phelps marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Awarded Pulitzer Prize in 1939 for The Yearling.
More about Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings...
The Yearling Cross Creek The Secret River The Sojourner South Moon Under

“...a pie so delicate, so luscious, that I hope to be propped up on my dying bed and fed a generous portion. Then I think that I should refuse outright to die, for life would be too good to relinquish.” 3 likes