Start by marking “Angel in Scarlet” as Want to Read:
Angel in Scarlet

Angel in Scarlet

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  17 reviews
PAPERBACK
Published August 24th 1986 by Avon (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Angel in Scarlet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel in Scarlet

Bride of the MacHugh by Jan Cox SpeasMy Lord Monleigh by Jan Cox SpeasThis Other Eden by Marilyn HarrisLady Vixen by Shirlee BusbeeOn Wings of Dreams by Patricia Gallagher
They Don't Make Covers Like This Anymore
28th out of 191 books — 29 voters
The Rebel's Promise by Jane GodmanJust the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie JamesOn a Wicked Dawn by Stephanie LaurensHeaven, Texas by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsA Higher Voice by Sheri Wren Haymore
Romance With Extra Drama!
16th out of 123 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
There's not many Historical Romance books from the 70's-80's where the main character really stands out & grabs & draws me right away into their story, most times it takes some warming up for me. But our "heroine Angie Howard (Angel) sure did for me. She had me laughing out loud from beginning to the end. Her story is told in the 1st person so you really get to know not only Angie herself but her thoughts & views on things and how she looks at life, which makes it all the more entert...more
Though slightly better than Wilde/Huff's Dare to Love , this isn't to my taste. At all. I yield after 200 pages of plodding plot that left me caring more about the slutty stepsister than the primary heroine & her yawn-worthy narrative. Boring, boring, BORING.

Important safety tip: If you're determined to write a 600-page bodice ripper, stuff needs to happen. And by "stuff" I'm referring to emotional highs & lows.

Not every ripper needs to be Pleasure's Daughter in terms of plotting WTFer...more
Karla
After a second DNF by Wilde, I think he's simply not an author for me. Like Johanna Lindsey, Wilde's one of the classic authors of the old ripper romances and I've held them to a high standard because of that. They've both fallen short.

Wilde's somewhat of a better author than Lindsey. He can describe a scene better, even though it veers more towards a bland checklist of what's in the picture than a real evocation of it. His characters are a bit deeper and less annoying, but not by much. Whereas...more
Nikki Golden
A wonderful trashy novel I picked up for 50 cents at the local used bookstore when I was a teen. What a great plot but even better, it has great descriptions of clothing, food and locale. I read EVERY book Jennifer Wilde wrote; then I found out it was a man writing under a pseudonym. Doesn't ruin it at all for me, though. He's still a great romance novelist.
Cecilia
Nov 29, 2013 Cecilia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for an unconventional love story
Recommended to Cecilia by: My best friend Yvonne
I read this when I was thirteen. It was one of the first large novels I'd ever read and I have to say, eighteen years later I still appreciate the story and how the author didn't make it your standard romance novel where boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, boy and girl live happily ever after. There is love, heartbreak and a woman learning to live for herself and not just for the love of a guy. I want to read it again actually. Definitely a good read!
KarenB
Her liaison with heros ended badly

heros?

first 1.hugh

2.Jamie

3.a second chance with Hugh

4.Clinton Meredith

and 5.a second chance with Jamie

While many readers gave this book a high rating, I kept asking myself where's the romance?

Melissa
I loved this book. Very racy though and sexually graphic. Not what I expected when I bought it, because it did not have a cover. It was still really good though and kept me on the edge of my seat.
Lysti Cannon
My first steamy romance at 13 and still have it tucked up on a shelf for future enjoyment.
Julie Dickerson
This was one of my first trashy romance novels back in the day. I must've been 13 or so when I read it, and I still remember the story almost 20 yrs later! Found it at a garage sale and re-read it, enjoying the trashiness all over again. Sure, it's not going to win any literary awards, but sometimes you just need a guilty pleasure :)
Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews)
Sep 28, 2010 Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical romance fans
This was a very refreshing romance novel where you get to see the heroine grow up. She goes through 3 different relationships and for once, none of the guys are assholes, so you kind of feel bad for them when it ends. It has the perfect ending. It is really good and I adored it.
Marisa
Nov 07, 2010 Marisa added it
OK, this is one of the first "trashy" novels I read as a 12-ish-year-old (then re-read) and I remain surprised at how much this story has stuck with me. The historical tidbits are great and have proven useful! I might need to find this again and see if I'm still drawn in.
Coco
I was still in love with Jennifer Wilde's novels so of course I had to read it.. and I loved it!
Keri
first historical romance i read very good loved the charcters
Katie
Adventure from the git go. Great book!
Gina
It left me depressed.
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Lover of Romance
Lover of Romance marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Kathy Pace
Kathy Pace marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden
Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Saundra Leighton
Saundra Leighton marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Jonna
Jonna marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
What's The Name o...: Historical Romance Book with Four Loves [s] 12 52 Feb 10, 2014 09:06AM
  • Lady Of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • The Black Swan
  • Wild Bells to the Wild Sky
  • The Tiger Lily
  • Savage Surrender
  • The Taming (Cameron, #1)
  • Forever My Love
  • Never Call It Love
  • Desert Hostage
  • Adora
Jennifer Wilde is a pseudonym of Tom E. Huff (Thomas Elmer Huff). He also wrote under the names Edwina Marlow, Beatrice Parker, and Katherine St. Clair.
More about Jennifer Wilde...
Love's Tender Fury Love Me, Marietta Once More, Miranda Dare to Love When Love Commands