Start by marking “Operation World” as Want to Read:
Operation World

Operation World

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,090 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
The most widely used reference book for missions in the world, Operation World, guides adults in learning about and praying for countries and people across the globe.
Paperback
Published November 15th 1993 by Zondervan (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Operation World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Operation World

Christopher Rush
I wouldn't say "5 stars because it was amazing," but it's hard not to give this all the stars it can get, considering its importance. Sure, it's 15 years out of date, and basically every single statistic in it is no longer accurate, but the gist of it is all true - and the needs for prayer are probably even more true now than they were 15 years ago. I hope that doesn't sound cynical, just a generic observation. What did I learn through this journey? I was encouraged by so many of the "answers to ...more
Loraine
Dec 31, 2014 Loraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenges-2014
SUMMARY: Operation World is the definitive prayer handbook and reference guide. Packed with informative and inspiring fuel for prayer about every country of the world, it is essential for anybody who wants to make a difference. It was the winner of the 2002 Gold Medallion Book Award and has been quoted in numerous journals and articles. It contains information for all the continents and every country in the world.

REVIEW: This book is very long and has taken me over a year to read, a few pages a
Dottie Parish
Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation is a book that can change the world. It’s an amazing book. Imagine what a difference it would make if all Christians prayed specifically for missionaries around the world and for the needs in each country. This is a daunting task but it is made easier by this marvelous book. Operation World lists every country in the world, giving information on Geography, Peoples, Economy, Politics, and Religion for each country. It also lists Answers ...more
Bill
FINISHED!!!!! A 2 year project. Reading Operation World cover to cover has taught me a great deal and shaped my understanding of the church in the world today and of mission. Some major themes:

- The church is growing rapidly in almost every developing country. There are still come very closed countries, but even in those places the church is growing fast. Church planting is associated with most of this growth.
- On the other hand, in the previously Christian developed nations the church is mostly
Chris
Mar 22, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books is almost like a spiritual or Christian version of a world almanac. It's an interesting read even from a secular point of view.

For a person like me, who worries about politics a lot, this book was very helpful.

The review of one European country said, "Despite greater than ever freedoms,unhappiness,suicide, self-harm, and mental health problems have reached alarming levels. This country leads Europe in abortion, teen pregnancy,binge drinking, drug abuse, violent crime, and non-particip
Brent Barnard
Jun 18, 2012 Brent Barnard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
With this book, you basically pray for one country per day, alphabetically, as the year advances. So in January you start with Afghanistan and move on to... a Z country I guess. Last night was Hungary. If the country is bigger, you pray for it longer - so we're about to start praying for India and we won't stop until July 4. And it breaks the larger nations up into provinces (which typically have a greater population than the average country). A great way to get to know the nations of the world ...more
Sue C
Jan 16, 2016 Sue C rated it it was amazing
I read this book at a season in my life that I was just learning about the sincerity of third-world Christians. I was fascinated by the information, and even just the geography was mind-opening. I haven't been the same person since!
Matthew Clark
Jun 24, 2015 Matthew Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great resource to see what is going on in the world and how to pray for it. Each country is methodically research and the needs are not generic rewrite of each other. I've gone through this book twice and been very encouraged both times
Tifken
read this with the kids on cycles. They love going through it, learning about, and praying for countries.
Justin Tapp
Nice for a brief overview of a country in praying for them. Had a copy in college.
Nick Woodall
Brilliant! The mass of information is nearly overwhelming, but keep plowing through it daily, and you will emerge a much richer Christian.
Es Ter
Jan 20, 2014 Es Ter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro con información precisa sobre los países menos evangelizados. Me ayudó (y me sigue ayudando) bastante para poder orar de manera más específica.
Chris Shim
Mar 06, 2007 Chris Shim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Part CIA World Factbook, part church strategy, this is an invaluable for us missionaries at home. A great daily guide to praying for the world's lost. "How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whome they have not heard? And how can they hear withotu someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'" Romans 10:14-15
Brent McCulley
Nov 25, 2014 Brent McCulley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: missiology
The standard text on missions to the nations, Operation World is comprehensive as it is systematic. An excellent reference tool to have on your shelf, as you join countless other believers in praying for the nations. Definitely a must have for the Christian who understands the importance of proper missiology both away and at home.

Brent McCulley
James Griffes
May 06, 2014 James Griffes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Operation World is a book that every Christian needs on thier coffee table. It is a constant reminder to pray for the nations and the people groups around the world. For someone who has a heart for missions this book is a must. When I watch the news or a movie or any situation it is cool to look it up and find out how I can pray for that country.
Pemmwa Thee
Nov 11, 2012 Pemmwa Thee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You want to know about other cultures and their belief, then thus is a book for you, basically everything you need to know. If you travel thus is a good book to carry with you or to study before you go to other places, so you will know something about thee people before you invade their land. A good bok to have in your collection.
Nate Cress
Operation World is a book every praying Christian should get their hands on. If I were limited to keeping just two books in my personal library, I'd choose the Bible and Operation World. This book gives you insight into global needs that enhances the impact of your prayer life.
Avary
This is one I'll be reading all year. It is filled with fascinating information and guides to praying for every (?) nation in the world. Recommended in "Radical."

Since I'm not making progress, I've moved this to not finished.
Norma Jesus
Apr 22, 2013 Norma Jesus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is so much information in this book; it's an amazing work. I could not help but be motivated to pray as I read. I recommend this for anyone who has a heart for the world, or wants to have a heart for the world.
Becca Harris
Mar 14, 2011 Becca Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so easy to use! It is a daily preyer guide that takes you through praying for each nation in the world. It gives you facts about each country as well as specific things to pray for.
David
Jan 24, 2008 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Awesome! I wish this was on every Christian's bookshelf. Covers all the countries/territories of the world discussing facts, Christian history and prayer points for each.
Jake
Aug 12, 2009 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for staying aware on global prayer issues! This is the 2001 edition, so hopefully a new edition will come out soon (a lot has changed post-911).
Floyd
Dec 21, 2013 Floyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent resource for prayer and simply to consult re the situation in any country in the world. Well worth reading and praying through this book!
Karen
I use this every year to pray through for over 10 years. I never can get through it like I would like to, but do as i am able. has so much to do in it.
Jonathan
Jul 23, 2008 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic collection of statistics on religion and faith in every country on Earth, with a great rundown of the specific issues each country is facing.
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to use as a daily devotional, with a few carefully chosen facts to help you pray effectively for countries around the world.
Cambryn
Nov 13, 2008 Cambryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians, especially those interested in missions.
This is a great tool! My lifegroup often uses this book when praying for a specific country or selecting a country to pray for.
junia
Sep 07, 2007 junia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hopefully something i will continue for the rest of my life here on earth.

9/8/07 - i realize, i forgot to bring it to TW -_-
Rachel
Apr 06, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Fantastically full of information about the countries of the world, as well as what to pray for in specifics.
Crossroads Ecc
Jan 13, 2012 Crossroads Ecc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christianity Today editors' review: The who, where, what, why, when, and how many of unreached peoples.
Main thing you've realised from Operation World? 4 4 May 31, 2013 01:51PM
  • Perspectives on the World Christian Movement: Reader
  • Let the Nations Be Glad!: The Supremacy of God in Missions
  • From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya: A Biographical History of Christian Missions
  • Eternity in Their Hearts:  Startling Evidence of Belief in the One True God in Hundreds of Cultures Throughout the World
  • Revolution in World Missions
  • There's a Sheep in my Bathtub: Birth of a Mongolian Church Planting Movement
  • Back to Jerusalem: Three Chinese House Church Leaders Share Their Vision to Complete the Great Commission
  • Hard Sayings of the Bible
  • Anthropological Insights for Missionaries
  • Mary Slessor: Forward Into Calabar
  • Preaching Christ from the Old Testament: A Contemporary Hermeneutical Method
  • With Christ in the School of Prayer
  • A History of Christian Missions (The Penguin History of the Church, #6)
Patrick Johnstone was brought up in England as the eldest of six siblings, children of an Irish father and a Dutch mother. He was converted to Christ in 1959 during his first year as a student at Bristol University, while reading Chemistry in preparation to become a research scientist. At a Christian Union meeting, he heard Glyndwr Davies speak about the evangelistic work of the Dorothea Mission i ...more
More about Patrick Johnstone...