Start by marking “The Anger of Aubergines: Stories of Women and Food” as Want to Read:
The Anger of Aubergines: Stories of Women and Food

The Anger of Aubergines: Stories of Women and Food

Food as a passion, a gift, a means of revenge, even a source of power - these are the themes explored in this collection of stories. Women weigh up the loss of a lover, or the loss of weight; they consider whether hunger or the thought of higher things are inextricably linked; they feast and die for their insatiable appetites.
Published July 1st 2002 by Spinifex Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Anger of Aubergines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anger of Aubergines

Aurélie
Un recueil de nouvelles gourmand qui vous donnera très faim mais aussi une passionnante plongée dans les us et coutumes de la société indienne. Rassurez-vous l'auteur prend soin de donner la recette de chaque plat évoqué. Un délice !
Heli
Ihan hirmuisen hauska keittokirja ja novellikokoelma. Novelleissa korostuvat ruokaan liittyvät pakkomielteet ja vallankäyttö ruoan avulla.

Tunnen roppakaupalla ihmisiä, joille ruoka tuntuu olevan elämän ja kuoleman kysymys, ja minuakin ruoka kiinnostaa monin tavoin ehkä enemmän kuin on yleisesti hyväksyttyä. Kenties siksi nämä naisten suhteesta ruokaan kertovat novellit tuntuvat niin viihdyttäviltä. Myös mukaan ujutetut intialaisruokareseptit vaikuttavat erittäin herkullisilta ja kokeilemisen arv
Sandhya
Jul 13, 2009 Sandhya rated it really liked it

This wasn't a book very easy to find, what with it threatening to go out of print. But a couple of friends made it possible and man, am I grateful!

It was a very favourable review on one of my favourite book sites, http://www.biblio-india.org/ and my own personal fondness for books that combine fiction with food that made me eager to lay my hands on this. The last book I read with a similar theme (food and women) was The Book Of Rachel by Esther David, whic
Sarah Alami
Mar 02, 2016 Sarah Alami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un recueil très, très appétissant! Plein de recettes qui font envie et qui dépaysent rien qu'à les lire. Toutes les nouvelles ne sont pas d'égale qualité, et le style n'est pas toujours excellent non plus, mais l'idée est vraiment originale. Et, par la bande (comme aurait dit mon ancienne prof de français), on en apprend beaucoup sur la vie des femmes indiennes, et si la forme est légère, le sujet l'est beaucoup moins...
Mazel
Aug 14, 2009 Mazel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman, cuisine
Qui meurt dîne, La Colère des aubergines, Folie de champignons, Festin pour un homme mort... : quelques titres de ces récits donnent un avant-goût de leur saveur.

Les histoires racontées, pleines d'odeurs de cuisine, puissamment évocatrices des rapports et des conflits entre les membres d'une maisonnée indienne, soulignent bien sûr le rôle déterminant qu'y jouent la nourriture et celles qui la préparent.

Des femmes croquées sur le vif y livrent des instants de bonheur, des secrets de famille, d'
Eila Isotalus
Mar 15, 2016 Eila Isotalus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hieno kokoelma intialaisia elämäntarinoita, milloin kenenkin näkökulmasta. Ja jokaiseen tarinaan liittyy vielä ruoka, ruokareseptitkin annettaan eli eikun koittamaan….
Maria Beltrami
Io ho una grande passione per la cucina indiana, così come ce l'ho per quella napoletana: sono entrambe cucine di gente povera, che con ingredienti apparentemente di poco pregio riescono a mettere assieme piatti che testimoniano dell'esistenza di dio. La cjuina indiana poi, che è vegetariana, chiama il cibo "prasad" che vale a dire sacro.
E ci sono deliziose ricette in questo libro, preparate da divertenti racconti di vita familiare indiana, con le sue contraddizioni, con i suoi uomini apparentem
Sae-chan
Dec 10, 2012 Sae-chan rated it it was ok
Shelves: literature
This book was only laying out problems faced by women posed by society. Too bad it was short of empowering. Some stories timidly asked, isn't this not supposed be? I'm afraid that the writer was actually affirming these stereotypes of women's role in society. I really hope not.

Women need to get away from trying too hard to get "equality" with men. When women strive on getting equality, it means that we still see ourselves as being inferior. We need to position ourselves as equal, which I believe
Carmen
Sep 26, 2010 Carmen rated it it was ok
In some cases this book reminded me of Like Water for Chocolate where each chapter ends with a recipe. However, in this case the stories are unrelated but I enjoyed the book. I was unable to find it in India so I ended up reading it in French
Ffiamma
buffo libretto ispirato ad alcune ricette indiane. lettura leggera, estiva- scelto quasi solo per il titolo (detesto le melanzane:)
Biogeek
Jun 18, 2011 Biogeek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I truly cannot remember anything about this book, but come on, what a great title!
Neena Verma
Neena Verma rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Nidhi
Nidhi is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2016
Laurie Trépanier
Laurie Trépanier marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Neeti
Neeti rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Alok Mehta
Alok Mehta marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Francesca
Francesca rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Paula
Paula rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2016
Léa
Léa marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Snidm
Snidm marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Katrimiau
Katrimiau rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Dolore
Dolore marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Lien Nguyen
Lien Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Astrid
Astrid rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Upevnit
Upevnit marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Hinda Mounir
Hinda Mounir rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016