Start by marking “Ermita: A Filipino Novel” as Want to Read:
Ermita: A Filipino Novel

Ermita: A Filipino Novel

Ermita as the major character in this novel, was first introduced in F. Sionil Jose's novella, "Obsession." Fabulous protitute, a woman wronged, she is now exposed in her exquisite nudity, surrounded by people like her, Eduardo Dantes, publisher, Senator Andres Bravo, General Bombilla, socialite Conchita Rojo, and Rolando Cruz, Ph.D. in history turned public relations spec ...more
323 pages
Published 1998 by Solidaridad Publishing House (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Ermita, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ermita

K.D. Absolutely
This is the story of Ermita "Ermi" Rojo a high-class prostitute in the Philippines. She is born to a wealthy family during the liberation, 1945. Her father is a Japanese soldier, part of the retreating Japanese forces. When Japan was about to lose control of Manila, they burned houses, killed all men and children that they saw roaming around the city and raped all the young girls. One then was the rich scion of the prominent family, the Rojos - Conchita Rojo, Ermi's mother.

Since Ermi is a produ
Ervin Patrick
Feb 02, 2013 Ervin Patrick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
My first Sionil José read!

Though I was only able to read Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera and half of One Hundred Years of Solitude, I can say that F. Sionil José writes like him (Marquez). Anyway, the novel's early parts bored me. But, later on, I was interested by the life of the little Ermi Rojo. I wanted to know how, as the prologue foretold it, she was going to be a prostitute. Well, her life was quite interesting but quite dragging, for me, near the end. There were thin
Maria Ella
This is one challenging read. I read this in the first time, sometimes in an irritated mood, that is why I first rated it with three stars.

But as I participate in a reading buddy/discussion with some of the guys, I gave this novel another try and rereading all those chapters for me to post my sentiments. As I closed this book, I cried. I cried because all of us wish for happiness. But in Ermi's case, she cannot comprehend what she is really looking for.

Let me immerse in all these feels first. I
Mikaela Lavilla
Dec 27, 2012 Mikaela Lavilla rated it it was amazing
Best Filipino novel I've ever read. I never wanted to drop this book until I finished it. Well-written.
Carla Rodis
May 11, 2009 Carla Rodis rated it it was amazing
Read this when I was in High School. We were assigned Viajero but I loved Ermita. Probably the best Filipino book I've read so far.
Bay
Jan 23, 2014 Bay rated it it was amazing
Ermita, one of the streets in Manila where many bars and prostitutes proliferate, was also the name of the heroine in Sionil’s novel. She had been conceived in a painful, traumatizing way: a rape child.

Being a rape child, as a consequence, her mother despised her until the very end, for Ermi’s mother reminded of that beast, and having a Rojo blood in her veins, Conchita’s sister adopted her, albeit treated her like a stranger.

She lived in penury with the household help of the Rojo family. Toget
Monjihar Akmad
Nov 20, 2011 Monjihar Akmad rated it really liked it
This book is rare. I had a hard time finding a copy of it. But, finally, I found one at National Bookstore: SM North EDSA. This urge started to creep to me when one of my schoolmate during college days brought this book at school. I was really intrigued with this book because he never stopped to talk about or even promote the book to the entire university (like he was paid do it). But according to him, his copy was from Switzerland and it was a gift from his friend; Swiss national. So, this book ...more
DC
Jun 28, 2010 DC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: filipiniana
This book is about the struggles a beautiful, budding lady has to go through in order to achieve what she so desires... which she apparently is not sure what. It provides a look into the underground of Manila-- one wherein drugs, prostitution, politics and whispered rumors are what lay the foundations (read: rules) of this underlying society.
Ron Jayvee
Apr 22, 2010 Ron Jayvee rated it it was amazing
Ermita is one of the place in Philippines.A place formerly frequented by the wealthy in Manila. This novel is about the life and stuggles of a women being reminiscent of a place of the same name in the City of Manila.
Patrick
Oct 23, 2013 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Kohi
Apr 15, 2011 Kohi rated it it was amazing
This is the book I've been looking for.
A Filipino book with so much sense.
A book that tells about history and the people behind it through fiction.
A book which compels you not only to think, but act upon the things for your country.

I'm looking forward to read more F. Sionil books.
It's a shame that the ordinary Filipinos aren't exposed to these kinds of books. :(
It's a good topic for conversations.. and for a while, I've dreamt of being a literature student to at least, give justice on how to dig
guiltlessreader
Dec 28, 2011 guiltlessreader rated it liked it
I felt like I was in a bit of a time warp reading this. To get the full benefit of the allegories and the occasional humour, you'd need a minimal background of Philippine politics and social strata. If I had read this in the 1990s I probably would've loved it. Now it's a snapshot of a bygone era, but it still has heavy relevance today. I was slightly turned off by the weird quasi-sexual-philosophical musings. Full review on my blog, .
Drae Pantorilla
Feb 10, 2014 Drae Pantorilla rated it really liked it
Shelves: phil-lit
Though some say that it mirrors Manila under colonization, to me it isn't really of a historical novel. It's depicts more of an internal conflict especially towards how we see ourselves and how we want others to see us.
Cel
Oct 07, 2013 Cel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this book when I was in college and suddenly, I realized what I should have realized a long time ago. The power of words. The book was so beautifully written, it hurts. The book was so real you could actually see, feel, touch Ermita Rojo.
Maricar Agundo
Aug 09, 2014 Maricar Agundo rated it it was amazing
This book was a gift from a very good friend. It's well written and made me travel back in time. I was hooked to it; once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. This is the only Filipino book I loved and enjoyed by far.
Myra
Jul 12, 2013 Myra rated it really liked it
To be able to write a novel that fits well into a setting from the past is very admirable, and F. Sionil Jose has never failed in doing so. Reading Ben Singkol and his other novels is really a must. My favorite Filipino Author. :)
Rhoselyn Khoe
Jan 10, 2015 Rhoselyn Khoe marked it as to-read
nothing
Joe
Jan 19, 2016 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
F Sionil Jose at his best.
John Exos
Jul 25, 2016 John Exos rated it it was amazing
This is F. Sionil Jose's portrayal of the modern Filipina. Very good read with strong message. Definitely a must read alongside with his Rosales Saga Novels.
Joseph Marc
i think its a good story

Danica Xavier
Dec 29, 2014 Danica Xavier marked it as to-read
fine
Francishorca
Jan 15, 2016 Francishorca rated it it was amazing
Randy
Apr 04, 2008 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Filipino Literature. Beautifully written. The conflicts these characters face, the decisions they make, and the outcomes of their actions all seem so real.
Noemi
Mar 15, 2015 Noemi rated it really liked it
i love this book
Joshua Benedicto
Mar 07, 2016 Joshua Benedicto rated it liked it
i want to read this book because of my research about the main character.
Tina
Mar 01, 2011 Tina rated it it was amazing
well-written.. hard to put down *thumbs up*
Tripster Guy
Tripster Guy rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2011
Mark Peñaloza
Mark Peñaloza rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Eunice
Eunice rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2007
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Pinoy Reads Pinoy...: Ermita by F. Sionil José - April 2013 229 89 Sep 22, 2014 07:49AM
  • State of War
  • Manila Noir
  • Mga Agos sa Disyerto
  • The Butcher, the Baker, the Candlestick Maker: A Collection of Short Stories
  • Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila (Part One) (Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila, #1)
  • After Eden
  • Mass Murders (Trese, #3)
  • The Filipino Heroes League: Sticks and Stones (The Filipino Heroes League, #1)
  • Manila, My Manila
  • Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog
  • Ilayo Mo Kami Sa Apoy Ng Impyerno! (Kikomachine Komix, #9)
  • ‘GAPÔ (at isang puting Pilipino, sa mundo ng mga Amerikanong kulay brown)
  • Super Panalo Sounds!
  • The Bamboo Dancers (Filipino Literary Classics)
  • Personal: Mga Sanaysay sa Lupalop ng Gunita
Francisco Sionil José was born in 1924 in Pangasinan province and attended the public school in his hometown. He attended the University of Santo Tomas after World War II and in 1949, started his career in writing. Since then, his fiction has been published internationally and translated into several languages including his native Ilokano. He has been involved with the international cultural organ ...more
More about F. Sionil José...

“The obscenities of this country are not girls like you. It is the poverty which is obscene, and the criminal irresponsibility of the leaders who make this poverty a deadening reality. The obscenities in this country are the places of the rich, the new hotels made at the expense of the people, the hospitals where the poor die when they get sick because they don't have the money either for medicines or services. It is only in this light that the real definition of obscenity should be made.” 39 likes
“We read because they teach us about people, we can see ourselves in them,in their problems.And by seeing ourselves in them, we clarify ourselves, we explain ourselves to ourselves, so we can live with ourselves...” 14 likes