Start by marking “My Sister - Life” as Want to Read:
My Sister - Life

My Sister - Life

Boris Pasternak, the Nobel laureate and author of Doctor Zhivago, composed one of the world's great love poems in My Sister Life. Written in the summer of 1917, the cycle of poems focuses on personal journeys and loves but is permeated by the tension and promise of the impending October Revolution.
Osip Mandelstam wrote: "To read the poems of Pasternak is to get one's th
Published October 24th 2001 by Northwestern University Press (first published 1922)

James
Aug 14, 2011 James rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking poems of ethereal light and being inhabit this collection from Boris Pasternak. Osip Mandelstam said, "To read the poems of Pasternak is to get one's throat clear , to fortify one's breathing. . . I see Pasternak's My Sister--Life as a collection of magnificent exercises in breathing . . . a cure for tuberculosis." These poems are enchanting; the product of the early life of Pasternak. There is a clarity in the translations of Mark Rudman with Bohdan Boychuk that allow Pasternak's " ...more
Barbara Richardson
Jan 30, 2012 Barbara Richardson rated it really liked it
I love Pasternak's poetry. This is his early, wild, unhinged work. Or at least, unhinged to me! But I did love two poems: "English Lessons" and "Storm, an Endless Instant." Simply beautiful.

I also looked at other translators' versions of these poems, a shocking tour. Rudman and Boychuk seem to shine here, eliciting the elegance and power of Pasternak as a poet.
Bob Wake
Oct 18, 2014 Bob Wake rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for fans of Doctor Zhivago , this influential 1922 debut collection of Pasternak’s poetry remains startling in its nature mysticism and life-force exuberance (Pasternak’s exhortation in the poem “Sparrow Hills” to “Get your soul in motion, stretch it like a sail!” is like Walt Whitman as a caffeinated Zoomba instructor). Translator Mark Rudman (who co-translated the text in 1983 with Ukrainian poet Bohdan Boychuk) in his informative preface says Pasternak was “enchanted” when ...more
g026r
Aug 17, 2012 g026r rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2012
I cannot speak to the accuracy of this translation. However, particularly when compared to so many other translations of Pasternak's poetry I've encountered, this version [Rudman & Boychuk] flows, providing at the very least a glimpse of why Pasternak was so highly regarded in his day.
Dianne Oliver
Dec 03, 2014 Dianne Oliver rated it it was ok
Shelves: novel
I am not a fan of poetry so I got this just to read the bio on Pasternak, which was short but interesting. It had cool pictures, don't know why the poetry is acclaimed but of course Boris is a phenom in handling Dr Zhivago.
R L Swihart
Jun 09, 2012 R L Swihart rated it it was amazing
I have the bilingual edition of this (an old hardcover). Perhaps not my favorite poet but still very important in my development.
Kolomna
Kolomna rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2015
Greg Van Dyke
Greg Van Dyke rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2008
Dara Melnyk
Dara Melnyk rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2015
Petri Virtanen
Petri Virtanen rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Faltar
Faltar rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2011
Jovany Agathe
Jovany Agathe rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Katie Nelson
Katie Nelson rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2015
Amellie
Amellie rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2009
Arezoo
Arezoo rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Athena
Athena rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2008
Olga Shumilo
Olga Shumilo rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2012
Athena Papadopoulou
Athena Papadopoulou rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Kat Vik
Kat Vik rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Melissa Jackson
Melissa Jackson rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2009
Rijin Cantal
Rijin Cantal rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2013
Paolo Grill
Paolo Grill rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Razi
Razi rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2012
Siran Cheng
Siran Cheng rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
T Nossenko
T Nossenko rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2008
Masha Buchen
Masha Buchen rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2009
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2016
Jessica Russell
Jessica Russell rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Cut Nadia
Cut Nadia rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
  • The Galosh
  • Selected Poems | Francis Ponge
  • Poemas
  • Poesie d'amore
Boris Leonidovich Pasternak was born in Moscow to talented artists: his father a painter and illustrator of Tolstoy's works, his mother a well-known concert pianist. Though his parents were both Jewish, they became Christianized, first as Russian Orthodox and later as Tolstoyan Christians. Pasternak's education began in a German Gymnasium in Moscow and was continued at the University of Moscow. Un ...more
More about Boris Pasternak...

“Beyond, pines hold sermons.” 2 likes
“I was sent by God to torment / myself, my family, everyone / whom it's a sin to torment.” 1 likes