Start by marking “Eight Men: Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Eight Men: Short Stories

Eight Men: Short Stories

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  378 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"Wright's unrelenting bleak landscape was not merely that of the Deep South, or of Chicago, but that of the world, of the human heart," said James Baldwin, and here, in these powerful stories, Richard Wright takes readers into this landscape one again. "Eight Men" presents eight stories of black men living at violent odds with the white world around them. As they do in his ...more
Published October 9th 1996 by Harper Perennial (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Eight Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Men

Ryan
There were certain aspects of this collection of short stories that disappointed me, when I view them in light of his other work. But despite its shortcomings, it was still, like all other Wright that I’ve read, thrilling, stimulating, challenging, and in the end, enlightening. The last of the eight stories, each about a black man at odds with the white world in which they try to operate, is an autobiographical piece, or at least autobiographically oriented. He tells of his experience as a South ...more
Hannamari
First I was appalled by the inevitable-seeming destruction of the protagonists in the end of each short story. Eventually I learned to like the eight cynical and violent stories told through the eyes of a black man trying to survive in the segregated world of white men. I did find the stories a little black and white (in more ways than one) but also eye opening and though provoking. Worth the read definitely.
Sentimental Surrealist
Three more hours left in 2014! What's there to do, what's there to do, but write another book review?

Often derided, and in many ways I get why: this is far and away the weakest Wright book I've read so far. That remarkable progression from horror to resistance in the face of racism found in Uncle Tom's Children is missing, and in some ways, it feels like Wright's spinning on his wheels: in terms of using a flood as the jumping-off point for his story, "Long Black Song" beats "The Man Who Saw the
Ed
The foreword to this edition, by Paul Gilroy, sucked really bad--even though Gilroy's intention was to defend these short stories from the critical attacks they have suffered over the years, he began by describing all these attacks in detail...ostensibly in order to deconstruct them...but the ultimate effect was to lower my expectations. Partly as a result, I found the first 7 stories to be pretty ridiculous eye-rollers, where I can imagine I would have taken them more seriously had I skipped Gi ...more
Thomas
One forgets between readings how subtle a writer Wright was. He takes subjects about which we usually preach obvious sermons and makes stories with nuanced characters who are responsible for their own lives, even though the forces of racism, poverty, and Freudian drives batter them like strong winds.
Paddythemic
glad this was not my introduction to wright. he is way better than this material, which I believe he was pressed to finish. read uncle tom's children (shorts) instead.
Ryan Wilson
I sort of read it. It's a collection of eight short stories about African-American men. I read the first story (good), started the second story (boring), and the last story (really good). I didn't feel compelled to read any more, so I bailed. The last story - "The Man Who Went to Chicago" - is worth reading. Good insight on how Black men were treated, and treated each other, in the early to mid 20th Century and their relationship with different groups of White people. Otherwise, I don't really r ...more
J
(FROM JACKET)Here, in these powerful stories, Richard Wright takes readers into this landscape once again.

Each of the eight stories in "Eight Men" focuses on a black man at violent odds with a white world, reflecting Wright's views about racism in our society and his fascination with what he called "the struggle of the individual in America." These poignant, gripping stories will captivate all those who loved "Black Boy" and "Native Son"
David
I don't understand why this collection isn't respected more than it is. Some of the stories might not be as good as some of the others, but some are downright classics. These are masterful stories by a mature, memorable talent. Excellent reading.
Adam
I thought this was weak. A couple of the stories kind of work, and Wright in general has a particular sort of righteous conviction that is infectious and deeply interesting. I just don't think he was a particularly good writer.
Rebekah
One of the best short story collections I've read. Wright was such a profound and clearly ahead of his time writer. Very introspective and unrelenting in his quest to bury the truth down the reader's throat.
Caroline
Some stories are more interesting than others. Interesting concept, with each story being one of the "eight men" hinted at in the title.
Shanae
An excellent collection. Beautifully written short stories that capture the trials of being Black and male in America. I love this book!
Tunde
great short read. i liked the man of all work and the man who killed the shadow the best.
Woluli
Les histoires courtes ne sont pas égales. Certaines sont bonnes, d'autres exécrables.
Dorsaf
Dorsaf marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Katy Fabrie
Katy Fabrie marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
James Bennett
James Bennett is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2015
Leigh J.
Leigh J. marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Joshua Gillespie
Joshua Gillespie marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Bleghblurg
Bleghblurg is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2015
Elyse
Elyse marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
M.  Elaine Horn
M. Elaine Horn marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Lucia Kelly
Lucia Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
  • Philadelphia Fire
  • The Emancipation of Robert Sadler: The Powerful True Story of a Twentieth-Century Plantation Slave
  • The Signifying Monkey: A Theory of African-American Literary Criticism
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Black No More
  • One Day When I Was Lost
  • My Life with the Taliban
  • Black Indians: A Hidden Heritage
  • That Bird Has My Wings: The Autobiography of an Innocent Man on Death Row
  • Black Culture and Black Consciousness: Afro-American Folk Thought from Slavery to Freedom
Richard Nathaniel Wright was an African-American author of powerful, sometimes controversial novels, short stories and non-fiction. Much of his literature concerned racial themes. His work helped redefine discussions of race relations in America in the mid-20th century.

More about Richard Wright...
Native Son Black Boy Uncle Tom's Children The Outsider Rite of Passage