Start by marking “Batman” as Want to Read:
Batman

Craig Shaw Gardner

Batman (Batman)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Here is the novelization of the blockbuster Warner Brothers summer movie of 1989, Batman, from the author of The Lost Boys movie tie-in and the Ebenezzum fantasy series. Stars Jack Nicholson, Michael Keaton and Kim Basinger. Original.
Published (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Kevin Mullikin
Normally I am a big fan of reading books before their movie adaptation is released. This is one example of where I preferred the movie to the book. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Craig Shaw Garder, and I think the book was well written, however there were some really out of place scenes in this adaptation that I felt did not fit the overall flow of the story. For example, most people will recall the scene in the movie where Bruce Wayne shows up at Vicki Vale's apartment and the two have an ar ...more
Jake
I became a Batman freak when the Tim Burton version arrived in theatres. I started reading the comics. I wore a Batman t-shirt to school. Even tried to make my own mask out of cardboard. Yeah, that was an embarassing disaster. And though I rarely do, I bought and read the novelization.

As with all novelizations, the book differs from the movie here and there. The book author works with the script prior to the final cut of the film being assembled. What I enjoyed about this novelization was some o
Richard
damn i miss novelisations that came out before the movie. this was on sale about 5 weeks before the film came out and being a 15 year old movie nerd I had to have it. nostalgia gives it 3 stars, but it was more likely 2 stars
Bruce
This book explains a lot about Batman and Bruce Wayne
Kooshmeister
Ryan Solski
Man, having this book since childhood, I reread it after more than 20 years to realize that the story still holds up. One of the better reads for Batman fans would be the movie script novelizations. Something about how a book translates into a movie, or how a script translates into a book, makes it really interesting for its comparative viewing. Joker is quite the gang leader!
Beau Johnston
As a young Batman fan, I couldn't wait for this movie to be released. And I wasn't disappointed (it was this point in time that Tim Burton became my favorite movie director).

The book was a fun read, and certainly worth spending some of my hard earned cash on.
Nicole
Ties both the new and old versions of the movie together, but when I get the visual picture of the Joker, I always picture Heath Ledgers version. To me, that is the Joker that can be Batman's ultimate enemy. Jack Nicholson looks like a clown in comparison.
Eric
Gotham City was a total crap mess. “Decent people shouldn’t live here,” said the Joker in a rare moment of clarity. “They’d be happier someplace else.” Like Metropolis, perhaps.

Full review here: http://superheronovels.com/2012/07/21...

Lee Houston,
A good novel in and of itself An advisory for the purists out there: author based his work upon the shooting script, not what appeared via the final edit, so some detail discrepancies occur.
Brant
I really don't know whether this was a good or bad book. I do know that I read and re-read it when I was twelve years old, and for that it has earned its 5 stars.
R.
I was disappointed that the "Cowboy Batman" (Batman chasing the Joker through Gotham on horseback; a nod to the Lone Ranger, I suppose) scene wasn't in the movie.
Nika Anuk
Surprisingly good book. I didn't expect much to by honest but as fan of Batman I really wanted to try it. What I've got is a good book with good characters.
Butterflykatana
My Brother and I fought over this book every chaptor. Great story and enough little things to keep you reading even when you seen the movie 3+ times.
Jevron McCrory
One of the very first books I ever read!

I still have the copy and I get chills reading it!

Viva la Burton's Batman!
Scott Macauley
I read this twice when I was a kid, before even seeing the movie. Pretty much the only book I can say that about.
Lucy
parents wouldn't let us see movie so we read book later on instead
Andy
FIRST PUBLICATION. NOVELISATION OF THE 1ST BATMAN FILM.
Victor Orozco
Not bad. Captures the movie very well, bringing back some memories from the first time I watched it. I do find some thing's interesting, particularly the scene with the statue that wasn't done in the movie. As well as the fact that there were no cops at the climax between Batman and Joker.

Not a perfect Batman story but a decent attempt. B
Dharia Scarab
A nicely done movie adaptation.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my way to read more, But if I find another book by the author for unde
Anthony McDowell
I like that it goes along with the film. It is a treat to get inside the characters' heads a little bit more than the film did. I wish they would have been more emotion behind the writing. A bit bland. But worth a once over if you are a Batfan
Rebecca McNutt
I love the film this book ties in with, and though I'm not really a big fan of movie novels, this one wasn't bad. It was well-detailed, though rather fast-paced, and it had several screenshots included.
Ethan Parkin
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"
Alexander Draganov
"Boom shakalakalaka, Boom shakalaka..."
Very cool novelization with some "deleted scenes" from an earlier version of the script, good descriptions of Batman, almost exclusively given from Vicky Vale, thus allowing the hero to remain mysterious, and brilliant presentation of the Joker. I liked it more than "The Dark Knight" novelization of Dennis O'Neil!
  • Batman Forever
  • The Further Adventures of Batman
  • Batman Begins
  • X-Men 2
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  • The Terminator
  • Independence Day: Novelisation
  • The Argonaut Affair (Time Wars, #7)
  • Batman: The Ultimate Evil
  • The Final Conflict: Omen III
  • Batman: No Man's Land
  • Dragonslayer
  • Prophets of the Dark Side (Star Wars: Jedi Prince, #6)
  • Alien 3
  • The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told
  • Voices
  • The Untold Legend of the Batman
  • Miracle Monday
Craig Shaw Gardner was born in Rochester, New York and lived there until 1967, when he went to Boston University. Since then he is living there. He earned a he graduated from B.U. with a B.S. degree in Broadcasting and Film.

He published his first story in 1977 while he held a number of jobs: shipper/receiver for a men's suit manufacturer, working in hospital public relations, running a stat camera
More about Craig Shaw Gardner...

Batman (1 - 10 of 367 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 7
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 8
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 9
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 10
A Malady Of Magicks (The Ebenezum Trilogy, #1) Return to Chaos (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #17) A Multitude Of Monsters (The Ebenezum Trilogy, #2) A Night in the Netherhells A Difficulty with Dwarves (The Ballad of Wuntvor, #1)