Start by marking “What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grownups from Children's Books” as Want to Read:
What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grownups from Children's Books

What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grownups from Children's Books

This one-of-a-kind collection reminds weary adults not to lose sight of the values and virtues they learned as kids. Here are over three hundred quotations from over two hundred well-loved children's books, such as Charlotte's Web, Peter Pan, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Eloise, Sounder, Number the Stars, and Goodnight Moon, organized by topic, among them Accepta ...more
Published January 10th 1999 by Algonquin Books (first published 1999)

Ruth
Aug 18, 2008 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008, own
Children’s books are often dismissed as a lesser form of literature when compared to books aimed at adult audiences. However, children’s literature often contains universal truths that can benefit readers of all ages.

What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grown-ups from Children’s Books, is a charming collection of literary quotations. Amy Gash first became interested in children’s books after the birth of her son. She began to seek out good children’s books after her son was old enough to request
Monica
Feb 04, 2016 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the quoteaphile that I am! With quotes from some of my favorites including...

"So many things are possible just as long as you don't know they're impossible!" The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster, 1961

"Thou hast only to follow the wall far enough and there will be a door in it." The Door in the Wall, Marguerite de Angeli 1949

"Nothing ever seems interesting when it belongs to you - only when it doesn't." Tuck Everlasting, Natalie Babbitt, 1975

"What you can do is often simply a matter of wha
Anne
Apr 14, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's not to love here? As someone who has read most of the books Gash has quoted from, it was the literary equivalent of being gifted with milky cocoa and homemade oatmeal cookies. So satisfying to be reminded epigrammatically about what's really important in the world, both then and now. A lovely comforting collection of almost truths! A little gem.
Kellie
I have not read the majority of the books that were quoted, however, this is a nice collection of quotes. There were a few familiar ones, some good and bad ones, but overall an interesting book to read. It made me wish I had kept a notebook of quotes I have liked over the years from the books I have read. I may start doing that now.
Camie
Nov 25, 2013 Camie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The time has come "the walrus said, " to talk of many things of shoes and ships, and sealing wax....of cabbages and kings. " From Through the Looking Glass Lewis Carroll . A cute book of sayings and quotes from children's books. I still say the above quote to my grown kids when we need a serious private chat ! A great idea, but I already knew most of them.
Petrea
A cute little book with a catchy title. I found the illustrations a little disappointing---though some are spot on--they are all black and white line drawings. It's fun to read little quotes from favorite children's books--and some I didn't know but now want to read. Good for a little read on an afternoon.
Jul 09, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Often it is stated "out of the mouth of babes". We forget the profound wisdom that is found in the pages of children's literature. After picking up this little book I am inspired to go out and pick up some of those classics again.
Susan
Dec 29, 2007 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children's book lovers
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Great gift for a children's librarian, writer, teacher, and the like. Infuriating for those of us who are life long quote collectors and lovers of children's books that we didn't think of it first.
Maryanne

Words of wisdom from children's books containing witty and inspirational quotes. It's a good resource for my classroom because the reading program I use is based on themes such as kindness and courage, and I can use the quotations from these books for my concept board.
Heather
Sep 18, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read and reminded me of so many great books I have read and add to my list of books I want to read. I would have loved to see more quotes-one favorite from Ella Enchanted "It is helpful to know the proper way to behave, so one can decide whether or not to be proper."
Mary Beth
Jan 21, 2013 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of quotes (some from children's books from before my time) that adults really do need to remember! Great book if you are a quote addict like me!
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2009
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Karla
Karla rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2009
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Eloise
Jun 16, 2014 Eloise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Fun little book with great quotes from kids' books.
Eilise
Eilise rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Debbie
Debbie rated it did not like it
Aug 04, 2011
Marnie
Marnie rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Mimi
Mimi rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2013
Lisa Vegan
Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2007
Ryan Greer
Ryan Greer rated it liked it
May 28, 2011
Beby
Beby rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Jeannie
Jeannie rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2007
Kehaines
Kehaines rated it liked it
May 26, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2014
Amy Greenblatt
Amy Greenblatt rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2013
Katie Clark
Katie Clark rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • At Home with Beatrix Potter: The Creator of Peter Rabbit
  • A Book of Books
  • Children's Literature Gems: Choosing and Using Them in Your Library Career
  • A Family of Readers: The Book Lover's Guide to Children's and Young Adult Literature
  • Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children's Book
  • This Book Will Change Your Life
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas
  • The Anatomy of Bibliomania
  • Who the Hell Is Pansy O'Hara?: The Fascinating Stories Behind 50 of the World's Best-Loved Books
  • Schott's Original Miscellany