Start by marking “What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grownups from Children's Books” as Want to Read:
What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grownups from Children's Books

What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grownups from Children's Books

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This one-of-a-kind collection reminds weary adults not to lose sight of the values and virtues they learned as kids. Here are over three hundred quotations from over two hundred well-loved children's books, such as Charlotte's Web, Peter Pan, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Eloise, Sounder, Number the Stars, and Goodnight Moon, organized by topic, among them Accepta ...more
Published January 10th 1999 by Algonquin Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about What the Dormouse Said, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What the Dormouse Said

Ruth
Children’s books are often dismissed as a lesser form of literature when compared to books aimed at adult audiences. However, children’s literature often contains universal truths that can benefit readers of all ages.

What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grown-ups from Children’s Books, is a charming collection of literary quotations. Amy Gash first became interested in children’s books after the birth of her son. She began to seek out good children’s books after her son was old enough to request
Kellie
I have not read the majority of the books that were quoted, however, this is a nice collection of quotes. There were a few familiar ones, some good and bad ones, but overall an interesting book to read. It made me wish I had kept a notebook of quotes I have liked over the years from the books I have read. I may start doing that now.
Eloise
Fun little book with great quotes from kids' books.
Lisa Church sielen
Okay. Cute book but I've read better quote books.
Hui Fang
Very cute and fun book and occasional wise words.
Camie
"The time has come "the walrus said, " to talk of many things of shoes and ships, and sealing wax....of cabbages and kings. " From Through the Looking Glass Lewis Carroll . A cute book of sayings and quotes from children's books. I still say the above quote to my grown kids when we need a serious private chat ! A great idea, but I already knew most of them.
Anne
What's not to love here? As someone who has read most of the books Gash has quoted from, it was the literary equivalent of being gifted with milky cocoa and homemade oatmeal cookies. So satisfying to be reminded epigrammatically about what's really important in the world, both then and now. A lovely comforting collection of almost truths! A little gem.
Petrea
A cute little book with a catchy title. I found the illustrations a little disappointing---though some are spot on--they are all black and white line drawings. It's fun to read little quotes from favorite children's books--and some I didn't know but now want to read. Good for a little read on an afternoon.
Heather
This is a quick read and reminded me of so many great books I have read and add to my list of books I want to read. I would have loved to see more quotes-one favorite from Ella Enchanted "It is helpful to know the proper way to behave, so one can decide whether or not to be proper."
Maryanne

Words of wisdom from children's books containing witty and inspirational quotes. It's a good resource for my classroom because the reading program I use is based on themes such as kindness and courage, and I can use the quotations from these books for my concept board.
Often it is stated "out of the mouth of babes". We forget the profound wisdom that is found in the pages of children's literature. After picking up this little book I am inspired to go out and pick up some of those classics again.
Susan
Dec 29, 2007 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children's book lovers
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Great gift for a children's librarian, writer, teacher, and the like. Infuriating for those of us who are life long quote collectors and lovers of children's books that we didn't think of it first.
Mary Beth
A wonderful collection of quotes (some from children's books from before my time) that adults really do need to remember! Great book if you are a quote addict like me!
Rochelle Melander
One of my favorite reference books of all time! This is a fun book to browse.
Elizabeth
Oh, I love this book. It's an invaluable resource for all sorts of things : )
A.
My source for wisdom when the world gets far too confusing to bear.
Noos Sara
Good children's book! Very nice and entertaining!
Redgie
I need to read more Children's books!
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Janna
Janna marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Dan J
Dan J marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Book of Books
  • A Family of Readers: The Book Lover's Guide to Children's and Young Adult Literature
  • Children's Literature Gems: Choosing and Using Them in Your Library Career
  • The Art of the Disney Golden Books
  • Over-the-Counter Natural Cures: Take Charge of Your Health in 30 Days with 10 Lifesaving Supplements for under $10
  • Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children's Book
  • 501 Must-Read Books
  • Who the Hell Is Pansy O'Hara?: The Fascinating Stories Behind 50 of the World's Best-Loved Books
  • The Anatomy of Bibliomania
  • Journey Across the Four Seas: A Chinese Woman's Search for Home
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • Enchanted Hunters: The Power of Stories in Childhood
  • Sunflower Houses: Inspiration From the Garden--A Book for Children and Their Grown-Ups
  • This Book Will Change Your Life