Start by marking “Foxfire 4” as Want to Read:
Foxfire 4

Foxfire 4 (The Foxfire Series #4)

This fourth volume celebrates the home life and creative heritage of Appalachia, featuring sections on fiddle making, springhouses, horse trading, sassafras tea, berry buckets, knife making, wood carving, logging, cheese making, and gardening.

Table of Contents:
Etta and Charlie Ross Hartley
Knife Making
Wood Carving
Fiddle Making
Thomas Campbell, Plow-stock Maker
Wooden Sleds
Published November 1st 1977 by Anchor (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Foxfire 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foxfire 4

Carrie
I love this series and am collecting them one-by-one. While I don't hail from Appalachia, I come from nearby and hail from stocky, rural, holler kin. Eliot Wigginton did us all a favor with this pervasive collection of knowledge from Appalachian mountain folk.[return][return]One day I hope to cozy up with this series and learn something new. I love reading the stories from the community elders. They are so great!
David Ward
Foxfire 4: Water systems, fiddle making, logging, gardening, sassafras tea, wood carving, and further affairs of plain living (The Foxfire Series #4) by Eliot Wigginton (Editor), Foxfire Students (Anchor Press 1977) (917.58). More transcribed interviews by the students at Rabun County High School in Georgia with their rural elders (See  The Foxfire Book). My rating: 7.5/10, finished 1977.
Eric Moebius
May 05, 2012 Eric Moebius rated it really liked it
This is a great series of education books. I admit sometimes the material isn't always my "cup of tea", but I love knowledge. I also love to see people preserving the knowledge of older folk that think that what they have to share is no longer important in the modern world. Because they are wrong. The old ways are just as important as the new... Often, more so... just because when the new ways don't pan out, as they are sometimes prone to do. The old ways are tried and true.
carrieprice78
Feb 04, 2016 carrieprice78 rated it it was amazing
I love this series and am collecting them one-by-one. While I don't hail from Appalachia, I come from nearby and hail from stocky, rural, holler kin. Eliot Wigginton did us all a favor with this pervasive collection of knowledge from Appalachian mountain folk.returnreturnOne day I hope to cozy up with this series and learn something new. I love reading the stories from the community elders. They are so great!
Charles
Apr 28, 2011 Charles rated it it was amazing
A Great Series on how on people use to do thing when they were mostly self sufficient, and not store dependent different volumes cover everything from snake handling. to log cabin building to planting by the seasons, a must for DIY'ers and survivalists. Check out amazon.com for individual contents.
Eric
Dec 15, 2008 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not something I've read cover-to-cover. It's simply something I have that is worth picking up now and again. Remedies, guides, folklore of the eastern mountains. The original The Firefox Book is also a good find should you come across it.
James
The series continues. Again, another volume full of fascinating and practical living history, a collection of glimpses into how people lived in Appalachia for hundreds of years, folkways that are now in danger of being lost. A great project.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 30, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
A collection of oral history from the Appachalian Mountain region of the south. Many old time rural skills are preserved thru this work.
Denese
Jul 16, 2012 Denese rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
Must admit I skipped around and read what interested me. Read these books long ago and enjoy the "people" stories more than the hoe to's.
Bob Buss
Bob Buss rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2012
Misa
Misa rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2007
Monika King
Monika King rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2017
Vampiravali
Vampiravali rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2008
Kristyn
Kristyn rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Arlene Adams-gertsch
Arlene Adams-gertsch rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Cuthach
Cuthach rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Karen Thompson
Karen Thompson rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2011
Marcy O.
Marcy O. rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2009
Loren
Loren rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Emerson
Emerson rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2013
CC
CC rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Hillary Early
Hillary Early rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2014
Rolandofeld
Rolandofeld rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2013
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2011
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Cristina Washell
Cristina Washell rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Laura Perry
Laura Perry rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2013
Kati
Kati rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Jennie
Jennie rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2007
Lee Anne
Lee Anne rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2014
  • The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery
  • Reader's Digest Back to Basics: How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills
  • After the Revolution: Profiles of Early American Culture
  • Forgotten Arts and Crafts
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Western Garden Book: More than 8,000 Plants - The Right Plants for Your Climate - Tips from Western Garden Experts
  • Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome
  • Appalachia
  • The Herbal Drugstore: The Best Natural Alternatives to Over-The-Counter and Prescription Medicines!
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization (Politically Incorrect Guides)
  • Music Theory for Computer Musicians: 0
  • The Sheer Ecstasy of Being a Lunatic Farmer
  • Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
  • The Chord Wheel: The Ultimate Tool for All Musicians
  • The Road Back to Nature: Regaining the Paradise Lost
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • Reinventing Collapse: The Soviet Example and American Prospects
Eliot Wigginton (born Brooks Eliot Wigginton) is an American oral historian, folklorist, writer and former educator. He was most widely known for developing the Foxfire Project, a writing project that led to a magazine and the series of best-selling Foxfire books, twelve volumes in all. These were based on articles by high school students from Rabun County, Georgia. In 1986 he was named "Georgia T ...more
More about Eliot Wigginton...

The Foxfire Series (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing; Log Cabin Building; Mountain Crafts and Foods; Planting by the Signs; Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing
  • Foxfire 2