Start by marking “Foxfire 3” as Want to Read:
Foxfire 3

Foxfire 3 (The Foxfire Series #3)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  430 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Volume 3 of this series covers animal care, banjos and dulcimers, wild plant foods, butter churns, ginseng and more.
Published July 15th 1975 by Anchor (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Foxfire 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foxfire 3

A Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonWhen Crickets Cry by Charles MartinThe Hiking Trails of North Georgia by Tim HomanDeath In Dahlonega by Deborah MaloneAuraria by Tim Westover
North Georgia Books
22nd out of 34 books — 11 voters
SAS Survival Guide Handbook by John  WisemanFood for Free by Richard MabeyField Guide to Wilderness Medicine by Paul S. AuerbachUS Army Survival Manual by U.S. ArmySurvival Psychology by John Leach
Best Books to Have For WTSHTF
40th out of 50 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Jamie
When I borrow a house in the mountains and this is on the bookshelf: these are my people. Like how I know I’m close to home when all the bumper stickers start saying “My grass is blue.”

The banjo and dulcimer section was extra fascinating. I’ve been reciting a steady stream of these facts and stories for two weeks. Now I’ve got to fill in the gap with Foxfire #2 that’s on my own shelf.
Charles
A Great Series on how on people use to do thing when they were mostly self sufficient, and not store dependent different volumes cover everything from snake handling. to log cabin building to planting by the seasons, a must for DIY'ers and survivalists. Check out amazon.com for individual contents.
Samantha
Excellent series of books. Very informative. Gives me a very nostalgic feeling of growing up in the country when I was a kid. Makes you miss the feeling of community togetherness that is practically extinct today.
James
This series holds up very well; this volume is every bit as interesting (and practical) as the first two. I once read a science fiction novel in which a group of people were setting out to settle a new planet - knowing that they would be operating in many ways on a pre-Industrial-Revolution level, one of the characters brought along the Foxfire collection. Some of these activities would also make great projects for students and teachers or for children and parents to do together.
David Ward
Foxfire 3: Animal care, banjos and dulcimers, hide tanning, summer and fall wild plant foods, butter churns, ginseng, and still more affairs of plain living (The Foxfire Series #3) by Elliot Wiggington (Editor), Foxfire Students (Anchor Press 1975) (917.58). More transcribed interviews by the students at Rabun County High School in Georgia with their rural elders (See The Foxfire Book. My rating: 7.5/10, finished 1975.
Hannah Davies
It was either deliriously quaint or mind-bogglingly long. This is basically part of an Amish Living encyclopedia set; the part about identifying wild plants was particularly informative and useful, but since I have no future plans on making a dulcimer, I probably could have spent my time better elsewhere.
Andrew
This book is totally sweet. The stories of people are the real strength of the book - the how-to's are good too, but the people and the lives they lead are what make for good reading. I'll be getting more of the Foxfire series!
Nick Klagge
Not much to add beyond my review of The Foxfire Book, except to say that I especially enjoyed Eliot Wigginton's introduction discussing the challenges of handling the fame surrounding the Foxfire project.
Fredrick Danysh
An oral history collection from the Appachian Mountains region. Tells what life was like in the early 1900s. Wild plants used by the residents are among the oral histories.
Marty
Love all these books. They bring back the memories of my grandparents, and their parents and the "how-to" survival of their times.
Blast
If you want to know how to live without electricity then these books are for you!
Taylor W. Rushing
Very practical and interesting. The spirit of the South holds true.
Ron
The Foxfire Book by Eliot Wiggington (1972)
Jeff Beland
Jeff Beland marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey added it
Apr 08, 2015
Benjamin Clarke
Benjamin Clarke marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Naaj
Naaj marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Shea
Shea marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Jessica Cordray
Jessica Cordray marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Sandra Pfeifer
Sandra Pfeifer marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Erin Bradley
Erin Bradley marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
  • Back to Basics
  • After the Revolution: Profiles of Early American Culture
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Survival Wisdom & Know How: Everything You Need to Know to Thrive in the Wilderness
  • Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook
  • Bush Craft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Appalachia: A History
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science
  • Eyeing the Flash: The Making of a Carnival Con Artist
  • Making Home: Adapting Our Homes and Our Lives to Settle in Place
  • Music Theory for Computer Musicians
Eliot Wigginton (born Brooks Eliot Wigginton) is an American oral historian, folklorist, writer and former educator. He was most widely known for developing the Foxfire Project, a writing project that led to a magazine and the series of best-selling Foxfire books, twelve volumes in all. These were based on articles by high school students from Rabun County, Georgia. In 1986 he was named "Georgia T ...more
More about Eliot Wigginton...

The Foxfire Series (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing; Log Cabin Building; Mountain Crafts and Foods; Planting by the Signs; Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing
  • Foxfire 2
  • Foxfire 8
  • Foxfire 9
  • Foxfire 10
  • Foxfire 11
The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing; Log Cabin Building; Mountain Crafts and Foods; Planting by the Signs; Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing Foxfire 2 Foxfire 4 Foxfire 5 Foxfire 6