Start by marking “Foxfire 3” as Want to Read:
Foxfire 3

Foxfire 3 (The Foxfire Series #3)

Volume 3 of this series covers animal care, banjos and dulcimers, wild plant foods, butter churns, ginseng and more.
Published July 15th 1975 by Anchor (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Foxfire 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foxfire 3

SAS Survival Guide Handbook by John  WisemanFood for Free by Richard MabeyField Guide to Wilderness Medicine by Paul S. AuerbachUS Army Survival Manual by U.S. ArmyThe Foxfire Book by Eliot Wigginton
Best Books to Have For WTSHTF
6th out of 51 books — 26 voters
By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Long Winter by Laura Ingalls WilderWilderness Survival Handbook by Michael PewthererAll Washed Up and Nowhere to Run by Rosamund SnowRobinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
The Best How To Survive Books
12th out of 65 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Jamie
Jul 31, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing
When I borrow a house in the mountains and this is on the bookshelf: these are my people. Like how I know I’m close to home when all the bumper stickers start saying “My grass is blue.”

The banjo and dulcimer section was extra fascinating. I’ve been reciting a steady stream of these facts and stories for two weeks. Now I’ve got to fill in the gap with Foxfire #2 that’s on my own shelf.
Charles
Apr 28, 2011 Charles rated it it was amazing
A Great Series on how on people use to do thing when they were mostly self sufficient, and not store dependent different volumes cover everything from snake handling. to log cabin building to planting by the seasons, a must for DIY'ers and survivalists. Check out amazon.com for individual contents.
Samantha
Feb 14, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
Excellent series of books. Very informative. Gives me a very nostalgic feeling of growing up in the country when I was a kid. Makes you miss the feeling of community togetherness that is practically extinct today.
James
This series holds up very well; this volume is every bit as interesting (and practical) as the first two. I once read a science fiction novel in which a group of people were setting out to settle a new planet - knowing that they would be operating in many ways on a pre-Industrial-Revolution level, one of the characters brought along the Foxfire collection. Some of these activities would also make great projects for students and teachers or for children and parents to do together.
David Ward
Foxfire 3: Animal care, banjos and dulcimers, hide tanning, summer and fall wild plant foods, butter churns, ginseng, and still more affairs of plain living (The Foxfire Series #3) by Eliot Wigginton (Editor), Foxfire Students (Anchor Press 1975) (917.58). More transcribed interviews by the students at Rabun County High School in Georgia with their rural elders. My rating: 7.5/10, finished 1975.
Hannah Davies
Jul 20, 2013 Hannah Davies rated it liked it
It was either deliriously quaint or mind-bogglingly long. This is basically part of an Amish Living encyclopedia set; the part about identifying wild plants was particularly informative and useful, but since I have no future plans on making a dulcimer, I probably could have spent my time better elsewhere.
Andrew
Jan 04, 2009 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is totally sweet. The stories of people are the real strength of the book - the how-to's are good too, but the people and the lives they lead are what make for good reading. I'll be getting more of the Foxfire series!
Nick Klagge
Sep 24, 2011 Nick Klagge rated it liked it
Not much to add beyond my review of The Foxfire Book, except to say that I especially enjoyed Eliot Wigginton's introduction discussing the challenges of handling the fame surrounding the Foxfire project.
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 26, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: history
An oral history collection from the Appachian Mountains region. Tells what life was like in the early 1900s. Wild plants used by the residents are among the oral histories.
Marty
Jan 31, 2008 Marty rated it really liked it
Love all these books. They bring back the memories of my grandparents, and their parents and the "how-to" survival of their times.
Blast
Jan 21, 2008 Blast rated it it was amazing
Shelves: survival
If you want to know how to live without electricity then these books are for you!
Taylor W. Rushing
Jun 20, 2008 Taylor W. Rushing rated it really liked it
Very practical and interesting. The spirit of the South holds true.
Ron
The Foxfire Book by Eliot Wiggington (1972)
zebroshyennie
zebroshyennie marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Ammi
Ammi marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Austin Bunton
Austin Bunton marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Susan Graham
Susan Graham rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2016
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Grace Vogelsang
Grace Vogelsang marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Arpnix
Arpnix marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Erika Robin
Erika Robin marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Spicibear
Spicibear marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Long Sally
Long Sally marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Josh Jones
Josh Jones rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
  • The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery
  • Reader's Digest Back to Basics: How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills
  • After the Revolution: Profiles of Early American Culture
  • Appalachia: A History
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Eyeing the Flash: The Making of a Carnival Con Artist
  • Survival Wisdom & Know How: Everything You Need to Know to Thrive in the Wilderness
  • Hawke's Green Beret Survival Manual: Essential Strategies For: Shelter and Water, Food and Fire, Tools and Medicine, Navigation and Signaling, Survival Psychology and Getting Out Alive!
  • Surprised by Laughter: The Comic World of C.S. Lewis
  • Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science
  • Putting Food By
  • The Chord Wheel: The Ultimate Tool for All Musicians
  • Western Garden Book: More than 8,000 Plants - The Right Plants for Your Climate - Tips from Western Garden Experts
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Our Southern Highlanders: A Narrative of Adventure in the Southern Appalachians and a Study of Life Among the Mountaineers
  • Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
Eliot Wigginton (born Brooks Eliot Wigginton) is an American oral historian, folklorist, writer and former educator. He was most widely known for developing the Foxfire Project, a writing project that led to a magazine and the series of best-selling Foxfire books, twelve volumes in all. These were based on articles by high school students from Rabun County, Georgia. In 1986 he was named "Georgia T ...more
More about Eliot Wigginton...

The Foxfire Series (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing; Log Cabin Building; Mountain Crafts and Foods; Planting by the Signs; Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing
  • Foxfire 2