Start by marking “Foxfire 3” as Want to Read:
Foxfire 3

Foxfire 3 (The Foxfire Series #3)

Volume 3 of this series covers animal care, banjos and dulcimers, wild plant foods, butter churns, ginseng and more.
Published July 15th 1975 by Anchor (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Foxfire 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foxfire 3

Jamie
Jul 31, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing
When I borrow a house in the mountains and this is on the bookshelf: these are my people. Like how I know I’m close to home when all the bumper stickers start saying “My grass is blue.”

The banjo and dulcimer section was extra fascinating. I’ve been reciting a steady stream of these facts and stories for two weeks. Now I’ve got to fill in the gap with Foxfire #2 that’s on my own shelf.
Charles
Apr 28, 2011 Charles rated it it was amazing
A Great Series on how on people use to do thing when they were mostly self sufficient, and not store dependent different volumes cover everything from snake handling. to log cabin building to planting by the seasons, a must for DIY'ers and survivalists. Check out amazon.com for individual contents.
Samantha
Feb 14, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
Excellent series of books. Very informative. Gives me a very nostalgic feeling of growing up in the country when I was a kid. Makes you miss the feeling of community togetherness that is practically extinct today.
David Ward
Foxfire 3: Animal care, banjos and dulcimers, hide tanning, summer and fall wild plant foods, butter churns, ginseng, and still more affairs of plain living (The Foxfire Series #3) by Eliot Wigginton (Editor), Foxfire Students (Anchor Press 1975) (917.58). More transcribed interviews by the students at Rabun County High School in Georgia with their rural elders. My rating: 7.5/10, finished 1975.
James
This series holds up very well; this volume is every bit as interesting (and practical) as the first two. I once read a science fiction novel in which a group of people were setting out to settle a new planet - knowing that they would be operating in many ways on a pre-Industrial-Revolution level, one of the characters brought along the Foxfire collection. Some of these activities would also make great projects for students and teachers or for children and parents to do together.
Hannah Davies
Jul 20, 2013 Hannah Davies rated it liked it
It was either deliriously quaint or mind-bogglingly long. This is basically part of an Amish Living encyclopedia set; the part about identifying wild plants was particularly informative and useful, but since I have no future plans on making a dulcimer, I probably could have spent my time better elsewhere.
Andrew
Jan 04, 2009 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is totally sweet. The stories of people are the real strength of the book - the how-to's are good too, but the people and the lives they lead are what make for good reading. I'll be getting more of the Foxfire series!
Nick Klagge
Sep 24, 2011 Nick Klagge rated it liked it
Not much to add beyond my review of The Foxfire Book, except to say that I especially enjoyed Eliot Wigginton's introduction discussing the challenges of handling the fame surrounding the Foxfire project.
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 26, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
An oral history collection from the Appachian Mountains region. Tells what life was like in the early 1900s. Wild plants used by the residents are among the oral histories.
Marty
Jan 31, 2008 Marty rated it really liked it
Love all these books. They bring back the memories of my grandparents, and their parents and the "how-to" survival of their times.
Gary
Gary rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2014
Matthew Dishman
Matthew Dishman rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2010
Brenda
Brenda rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2012
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2011
Suzy L. Hopper
Suzy L. Hopper rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Coillteach
Coillteach rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2007
F.T. Moore
F.T. Moore rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Gooch
Gooch rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2009
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2009
CC
CC rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
Craig Pierce-slocum
Craig Pierce-slocum rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2010
Cuthach
Cuthach rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Patrick
Patrick rated it did not like it
Mar 11, 2009
Lelia
Lelia rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Laura rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2007
Gayle Ferguson
Gayle Ferguson rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2011
Dee
Dee rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2008
  • The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery
  • Reader's Digest Back to Basics: How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills
  • After the Revolution: Profiles of Early American Culture
  • Appalachia
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Eyeing the Flash: The Making of a Carnival Con Artist
  • Survival Wisdom & Know How: Everything You Need to Know to Thrive in the Wilderness
  • Hawke's Green Beret Survival Manual: Essential Strategies For: Shelter and Water, Food and Fire, Tools and Medicine, Navigation and Signaling, Survival Psychology and Getting Out Alive!
  • Surprised by Laughter: The Comic World of C.S. Lewis
  • Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science
  • Putting Food By
  • The Chord Wheel: The Ultimate Tool for All Musicians
  • Western Garden Book: More than 8,000 Plants - The Right Plants for Your Climate - Tips from Western Garden Experts
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Our Southern Highlanders: A Narrative of Adventure in the Southern Appalachians and a Study of Life Among the Mountaineers
  • Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
Eliot Wigginton (born Brooks Eliot Wigginton) is an American oral historian, folklorist, writer and former educator. He was most widely known for developing the Foxfire Project, a writing project that led to a magazine and the series of best-selling Foxfire books, twelve volumes in all. These were based on articles by high school students from Rabun County, Georgia. In 1986 he was named "Georgia T ...more
More about Eliot Wigginton...

The Foxfire Series (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing; Log Cabin Building; Mountain Crafts and Foods; Planting by the Signs; Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing
  • Foxfire 2