Start by marking “Bass Cathedral” as Want to Read:
Bass Cathedral

Bass Cathedral (From a Broken Bottle Traces of Perfume Still Emanate #4)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The Great American Jazz Novel by Nathaniel Mackey, winner of the 2006 National Book Award.

Los Angeles, October 1982: Molimo m'Atet, formerly known as the The Mystic Horn Society, is preparing to release its new album Orphic Bend. The members of the jazz ensemble—Aunt Nancy, Djamilaa, Drennette, Lambert, N., and Penguin—are witness to a strange occurrence: while listening t
Published January 1st 2008 by New Directions Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Bass Cathedral, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bass Cathedral

Tim
Apr 26, 2008 Tim added it
Shelves: 2008
Fourth in Mackey's FaBBToPSE series of epistolary novels. David Hadju, in a recent review in the NY Times, called the books in the series "essentially interchangeable," and he's right; but not in the way that David Markson's last four books have been interchangeable--rather they're more like albums from an artist whose albums all sound much the same but are all still great anyway. Bass Cathedral (and the rest of the books in the series) is erudite, idiosyncratic, full of stylish prose, occasiona ...more
Chrissa
Like the TARDIS, this book is bigger than it appears on the outside and there are intimations of wonderful things. Like the Doctor, however, The Author doesn't give up his secrets willingly. In fact, he'd rather not give them up, casting prose at you that breaks and doubles back and repeats, perhaps, if you can decipher the words.

It was, for me, a difficult book. I don't speak the language of jazz; neither, it turns out, does my dictionary. I read it, essentially, for the chorus, for the parts t
Evan Woodward
A friend got me this book as a surprise gift which I really appreciated, as it is a singularly bizarre book that I never would have picked up on my own.

Mackey is an Anthony Braxton or a Sonny Sharrock of words. Inventing phrases, conjuring idioms, sonorous and flowing at times, jarring and jagged at others. I found the story itself to be less than thrilling, but his method of telling it to be fascinating.
Matthew
Mackey definitely is pushing the boundaries of novel, and I'm curious to read the other volumes in this multi-volume work. However, it seemed on occasion that Mackey was being intentionally disdainful of his reader, and comes across as pretentious. I'd also recommend having a working knowledge of jazz and a handy dictionary.
Jeff
I only read about 1/3 of this book, and I did not enjoy what I read. I think the writing is technically great, but it was too dense and the story didn't seem to make much sense to me. I would skip this one, though it may reflect my lack of understanding more than any bad writing.
Shuk Wah Lee
High literature indeed. Too high to comprehend.
Phillip Golub
Phillip Golub marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Mat Laporte
Mat Laporte marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Dayvblw
Dayvblw marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Andres
Andres marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Aaron Robertson
Aaron Robertson marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Janet Martinson
Janet Martinson marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Phoebe
Phoebe marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Raquefella
Raquefella marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Mike Oliver
Mike Oliver marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
UK
UK is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
J.P.
J.P. added it
Jan 01, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Poet and novelist Nathaniel Mackey was born in 1947 in Miami, Florida. He received a BA degree from Princeton University and a PhD from Stanford University.

Nathaniel Mackey has received numerous awards including a Whiting Writer’s Award and a 2010 Guggenheim fellowship. He is the Reynolds Price Professor of English at Duke University and served as a Chancellor of the Academy of American Poets from
More about Nathaniel Mackey...

From a Broken Bottle Traces of Perfume Still Emanate (4 books)
  • Bedouin Hornbook