Start by marking “Three Plays by Aristophanes: Lysistrata/Women at the Thesmophoria/Assemblywomen” as Want to Read:
Three Plays by Aristophanes: Lysistrata/Women at the Thesmophoria/Assemblywomen

Three Plays by Aristophanes: Lysistrata/Women at the Thesmophoria/Assemblywomen

Three Plays by Aristophanes presents Aristophanes' three women's comedies in a single volume and in unexpurgated, annotated translations. There are introductions to each play, and general introductory chapters cover Aristophanes, his theater and the women in his plays; an appendix contains relevant additional material from Aristophanes' lost comedies. Three Plays by ...more
Published August 27th 1996 by Routledge (first published -391)

To ask other readers questions about Three Plays by Aristophanes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Plays by Aristophanes

Abbie
Sep 07, 2008 Abbie rated it liked it
I have to admit that I didn't just whip this off the shelf, thinking, "Boy, it's been a long time since I read any good Attic comedy... ooh, and here's a new translation."

No, this was assigned reading for one of my few college courses that had no equations. These three plays of Aristophanes all prominently feature women. "Lysistrata" deals with a sexual strike coordinated by the women of Athens and Sparta to make their men forge a peace treaty and end the war. "Women at the Thesmophoria" is abou
Carol
Aug 20, 2016 Carol rated it did not like it
OK, I rated this for the translator (Jeffrey Henderson), not the plays. And I only read a little bit of Lysistrata before deciding that this version is not for me. I had previously read the play as translated by Benjamin Brinkley Rogers, and was looking forward to reading it again. But I'm not even going to finish the prologue, let alone the entire play. and never mind the other plays.

Now, maybe I'm just a grumpy old woman. And maybe this translation is true to the rowdy approach of the original
Katie Pagan
Absolutely amazing. As much as it's been said, Lysistrata is an absolute must-read. It's hilarious in a bawdy, sometimes rated-R , way. Of course that's a good thing (especially the scene between Myrrhine and her husband)! What's more, the issues raised are actually kind of relevant and provoking. What if women actually did go on a massive sex strike? Incidentally, it's still happening...and it works! Follow the link below to see what I mean.
Sammi
Oct 02, 2012 Sammi rated it liked it
Shelves: books-for-school
Marc
Sep 02, 2015 Marc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-greece
Vrouwenstaking: Mooi thema, prachtig-realistische uitgewerkt, bijzonder schunnige taal. Heel amusant, maar wel zwak slot.
Vrouwenfeest: Duister, complex en onnavolgbaar stuk vol verwijzingen naar stukken van Euripides; niet genietbaar.
vrouwenpolitiek: Fris en leuk stuk, sterk vergelijkbaar met vrouwenstaking, maar sterk verzwakkend naar het einde. Opvallende satire op aspecten van het democratisch systeem: gemakkelijk bedrog, het zittende volk komt vooral voor de zitpenningen, enz.
Bonnie
Apr 04, 2010 Bonnie added it
Shelves: read-in-2010
Done with this for now, although I plan to come back to it and read introductions and the closing fragments. Lysistrata, Assemblywomen, and Women at the Thesmophoria for a Woman in Antiquity class--Aristophanes is so much better than Lysistrata gives him credit for. I now have, at least, some blossoming interest in comedy.
Alex Milani
Alex Milani rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Rachaelita
Rachaelita rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2008
Libby Stephenson
Libby Stephenson rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Julia Specht!
Julia Specht! rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Kai Huotari
Kai Huotari rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Hari Patel
Hari Patel rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014
Talos
Talos rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2014
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2012
Cassidy
Cassidy rated it liked it
May 25, 2011
Ravi
Ravi rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Greyor
Greyor rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2007
Seth Woodley
Seth Woodley rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Ioannis Triantafillou
Ioannis Triantafillou rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Kristin Walker
Kristin Walker rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2012
mbramblett2000
mbramblett2000 rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Levi
Levi rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Jenna
Jenna rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Josh Kremer
Josh Kremer rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Eveliene
Eveliene rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Lauren Burke
Lauren Burke rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Veronica
Veronica rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Aristophanes (Greek: Αριστοφάνης; c. 446 BCE – c. 386 BCE) was a playwright of ancient Athens.

About 11 of his works are known in full, and they are the only plays of the "Old Comedy" style to have survived. They are The Acharnians, The Birds, The Clouds, The Ecclesiazusae, The Frogs, The Knights, Peace, Plutus (Wealth), The Thesmophoriazusae, and The Wasps. These plays have been translated into m
More about Aristophanes...