Start by marking “Wilderness Within: The Life of Sigurd F. Olson” as Want to Read:
Wilderness Within: The Life of Sigurd F. Olson

Wilderness Within: The Life of Sigurd F. Olson

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Sigurd Olson (1899-1982) was acknowledged during his lifetime as a leader of the American environmental movement, an emblematic figure for a generation of activists. A Wilderness Within is the award-winning biography of this writer, teacher, and activist who was a harbinger of the raising of America's ecological consciousness.
Published August 15th 1999 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Wilderness Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wilderness Within

Lisa Kearns
I've read every book Sigurd Olson wrote, and was eager to read the "behind the scenes" story of his life. I was somewhat surprised to learn that he suffered from depression, since his books are are folksy, humorous and upbeat. He was middle aged when his first book manuscript was accepted, and I'm amazed that he had the will to keep writing after so many rejections.

His battles with the park service, US Government and local towns during the forming of the Quetico-Superior/Boundary Waters wilderne
Jay
An outstanding biography of one of our greatest wilderness advocates. He was a driven man, both in his passion for protecting wilderness but also to write his impressions and feeling of wild places. An often troubled and pretty ego driven person. I think one of the best written biographies I have read in sometime.
Betsy
Incredible. Reading a biography can be quite a journey. It helped to see how Sig O figured out what to do with his life. And then he did so very much with his life -- I never realized just how much of an impact he had on the world.
angrykitty
what can i say...i'm from mn and this guys's like a god to many from mn....though not me. he's like the orginal tree hugger, so you wouldn't think i'm interested, but you know....whatever.
Angie
Angie added it
Apr 06, 2015
Jeff Jurewicz
Jeff Jurewicz marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Pat Parkhurst
Pat Parkhurst marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Ericmudd
Ericmudd marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Waboose Adventures
Waboose Adventures marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Howie
Howie is currently reading it
May 14, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
tia
tia marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Christopher Burns
Christopher Burns marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Azam
Azam marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
The Wilderness Companion: Reflections for the Back Country Traveler Canoe Country: An Embattled Wilderness Meaning Of Wilderness: Essential Articles and Speeches Spirit Of The North: The Quotable Sigurd F. Olson