Start by marking “Wilderness Within: The Life of Sigurd F. Olson” as Want to Read:
Wilderness Within: The Life of Sigurd F. Olson

Wilderness Within: The Life of Sigurd F. Olson

Sigurd Olson (1899-1982) was acknowledged during his lifetime as a leader of the American environmental movement, an emblematic figure for a generation of activists. A Wilderness Within is the award-winning biography of this writer, teacher, and activist who was a harbinger of the raising of America's ecological consciousness.
Published August 15th 1999 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Wilderness Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wilderness Within

Lisa Kearns
Jan 31, 2013 Lisa Kearns rated it it was amazing
I've read every book Sigurd Olson wrote, and was eager to read the "behind the scenes" story of his life. I was somewhat surprised to learn that he suffered from depression, since his books are are folksy, humorous and upbeat. He was middle aged when his first book manuscript was accepted, and I'm amazed that he had the will to keep writing after so many rejections.

His battles with the park service, US Government and local towns during the forming of the Quetico-Superior/Boundary Waters wilderne
Linda Kenny
Sep 19, 2015 Linda Kenny rated it really liked it
Not being a native Minnesotan, my first introduction to Olson was when my daughters attended a school named after him. We snowshoe every winter in the Boundary Waters and have canoed in the BWCA. Just recently I started reading his books and jumped at the chance to learn more about him when I saw his biography in the gift shop at the U of M Landscape Arboretum. For the most part it is an engrossing story of a complicated man who loved nature, fought to preserve wilderness and found a way to even ...more
Mar 17, 2012 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding biography of one of our greatest wilderness advocates. He was a driven man, both in his passion for protecting wilderness but also to write his impressions and feeling of wild places. An often troubled and pretty ego driven person. I think one of the best written biographies I have read in sometime.
Mar 04, 2009 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Incredible. Reading a biography can be quite a journey. It helped to see how Sig O figured out what to do with his life. And then he did so very much with his life -- I never realized just how much of an impact he had on the world.
May 29, 2008 angrykitty rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008, bio-autobio, science
what can i say...i'm from mn and this guys's like a god to many from mn....though not me. he's like the orginal tree hugger, so you wouldn't think i'm interested, but you know....whatever.
Joe Murphy
Joe Murphy marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Katie Swanson
Katie Swanson marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Ray Fini
Ray Fini marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Andre rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Stephen Schreader
Stephen Schreader marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Lily rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
John Thurston
John Thurston rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
JoyGenea Schumer
JoyGenea Schumer marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Sacha marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
E. rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Absurdnerd marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Kevin Proescholdt
Kevin Proescholdt rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
John Wenck
John Wenck rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
Terry rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2015
Dan Kehlenbach
Dan Kehlenbach rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2015
Angie added it
Apr 06, 2015
Herb Smith
Herb Smith rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Mark rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Jeff Jurewicz
Jeff Jurewicz marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Pat Parkhurst
Pat Parkhurst marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Ericmudd marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Waboose Adventures
Waboose Adventures marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014