Start by marking “A Perfect Gentle Knight” as Want to Read:
A Perfect Gentle Knight

A Perfect Gentle Knight

Kit Pearson’s long-awaited new novel tells the story of the six Bell children, each of them coping in various ways in the aftermath of their mother’s death. Set in the 1950s and seen through the perspective of the middle child, 11-year-old Corrie, Pearson’s story illustrates how a rich fantasy life both helps and hinders children trying to cope with loss, loneliness, and g ...more
Published September 10th 2007 by Puffin Canada

To ask other readers questions about A Perfect Gentle Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Perfect Gentle Knight

Shawn Bird
Jul 06, 2012 Shawn Bird rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, canadian
This book seemed to have an identity crisis. The main character is 11, and it read a lot like a children's book, but it was set up as a baby boomer memoir, casually referring to events and objects that would be foreign to 11 year olds without any context or explanation. The themes are big: loss, mental illness, coming of age. I think perhaps they are too big for this 164 page format, and too big for 11 year old Corrie to do justice to on her own. I would have loved to see this story twice as lon ...more
Jane
Apr 30, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are many things that can tip me towards buying a book when I am on browsing, and on this particular occasion that thing was an picture of an elderly border terrier, sitting on the lap of the author. I thought of my lovely Pip, who turned just as white as Kit Pearson’s lovely Poppy, and I told myself that a story of a large family of children who imagined themselves to be Knights of the Round Table was exactly what I needed. Because border terrier people understand. It was – and she did.

In
Meaghan
Feb 03, 2009 Meaghan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian, children-s
When I was younger, I used to look for a new Kit Pearson book every time I went into a bookstore. I did this for many years and never found one. I finally started forgetting to look. Imagine my happiness when I started my children's lit class in January and found this!

I hadn't read any of her work in years and I had that moment of wondering that I always feel when I go back to something I liked a long time ago: will I still think this is good or was I just young? In this case, I still think Pear
Lindsay
Dec 28, 2013 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of Pearson since I was a child, and thought I had read all of her books until I came across this one in the elementary school library I work at. It was very well written, and a great story of family bonds and overcoming hardship and struggle.
青い目 ジェシカ
Nov 29, 2010 青い目 ジェシカ rated it really liked it
Becca
*sigh* This book is so comforting to me. It was given to me by a relative for Christmas years ago and I've re-read it nearly every year since then. I may have been a teenager when I received it, but it feels like one of those books I've owned and read since I was a little kid. It has that nostalgic factor.

This book is definitely one of my all time favourites, and there's therefore many things I love and appreciate about it. It's a fairly simple book, in both how it's written and the message it's
Rebecca
Dec 14, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, book-group
When I was younger I read Kit Pearson's Awake and Dreaming and practically abosrbed it I read it so fast. This is my second book of Pearson's and she had me hooked agian. Her characters are so real and I feel so much empathy for Corrie I could almost see it play out before me like a play. The dialoge was more mature for children I often forgot that this was a children's book.

What I love about this book is how it delves into the possiblity that imagination and pretending can hinder a person from
Andrea Wall
I first read this book in Grade Six or Seven, which is what age this book should be read at. I remember crying and being all impacted and whatnot by this book. I have to say that it lost some of it "shocking-ness" now that I'm older, but that does not mean this isn't a great book!!

This book looks a lot of big issues, and a lot of deep stuff and keeps it simple. I guess that's what I like about it. Sometimes things can be complicated and not complicated at the same time. This is how life is for
Nov 18, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
A good book, very sad. I felt SO sorry for poor little Corrie, trying so bravely to deal with way too much responsibility for an 11-year-old. The story covered a lot of deep issues like mental illness and coping with the death of a parent in an interesting and realistic way, and I loved the characters and the writing style.

However! I did have issues with two things.

1. I didn't think the 1950s setting added anything. In some ways it made sense, but in others it didn't really work. The book was t
Shonna Froebel
Nov 25, 2012 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
This tale of eleven-year-old Corrie Bell and her family takes us into a tale of a family coping with loss. Corrie's mother died in an accident three years ago, and she and her siblings have found comfort in a fantasy world of the Round Table, where they abide by the rules of knights. Their father, always absent-minded, has retreated into his work as a Shakespearean professor and a succession of housekeepers does the basics of what the house requires. Corrie and her older siblings, Roz (13) and S ...more
Monika Cho
Oct 07, 2016 Monika Cho rated it liked it
This was one of Kit Pearson's grittier novels and one that I found uncomfortable but important. I loved her exploration of grief and I admire her ability to delve into topics that aren't commonly talked about. Sebastian's portrayal in particular pulled at my heart strings. I can't imagine what it would have been like to be Corrie who was desperately trying to be everything her family needed her to be.

Despite this story being told in Kit's familiar style, I found it hard to warm up to the charac
Clarabel
Oct 18, 2011 Clarabel rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Une belle histoire de fatrie qui a choisi de se réfugier dans le jeu, les rêves et la lecture pour se consoler de la perte de leur maman. Pas de place pour la sensiblerie, et c'est tant mieux, même si la détresse de la famille Bell est évidente (elle sera, toutefois, traitée avec finesse, pour le bien de tous). L'auteur a vraiment réussi à décrire la notion de cocon, de refuge donc, au sein de cette grande maison, et on comprend la difficulté de vouloir en sortir alors que ce n'est pas la soluti ...more
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
Meh. This book was alright. I applaud Pearson for writing something unique, but I didn't connect with the characters, therefore, none of their sorrows and pains touched me. Also, the story didn't read as lyrical as
The Maestro, but for some odd reason, APGK book has better ratings than the latter.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the selection of books Dr. West picked for us to read. But so long, my summer break starts now.
Amanda Workman
Dec 20, 2011 Amanda Workman rated it really liked it
What a lovely story. Pearson made these characters so real, so vulnerable I fell in love. I wanted to wash the twin's hands, talk boys with Roz, skate with Corrie, and joust with Sebastian. I also appreciated the tenderness Pearson used to handle the disabilitating nature the death of a mother can have on young children.
I also liked the length. Too many YA authors feel they need to include every detail of every setting, character, etc that the story is bogged down. Pearson is a master at storyte
Judy
Oct 26, 2014 Judy rated it really liked it
Kit Pearson is one of those authors whose children's books are better for adults than for kids. I remember reading Awake and Dreaming as a child and hating it because is was scary to me in some deep and creepy way. A friend of mine got a bit traumatized from A Perfect Gentle Knight when Sebastian was found naked after his mental breakdown. However, now as a teen who cannot read about anything to do with mental illness, Kit Pearson's gentle way of exploring issues like poverty or mental illness - ...more
Anna Elizabeth
Mar 04, 2016 Anna Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Kit Pearson was one of the dearest authors to me as a child. Now I am rereading this book after years in between. It's amazing how when one reads a book as an adult that they loved as a child... how much more rich the book becomes. There's so many big issues - mental illness, identity... of course, I'd love to hear more of Sebastian's side of things, but I think it is so important that there is a book like this for children. If not Sebastian, who better to be the narrator than his closest sister ...more
Alexandra Robertson
May 14, 2014 Alexandra Robertson rated it it was ok
Kit Pearson was my favourite author when I was in elementaary school. I still have my copies of 'A Handful of Time', 'Awake and Dreaming', and all of 'The Guests of War' series. I was in love, so when I found this book at a book grab sale I was so excited.
Overall it was an interesting book, and I loved the focus on Arthur and the Round Table. I thought that it was really interesting and unexpected. I have definitely grown out of her writing, but I passed the book on to my sisters who are both t
Michelle
Mar 18, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Sometimes children escape from the pain of reality by playing imaginary games. Really nothing wrong with that unless it goes to the extreme which it does in this book "A Perfect Gentle Knight" by Kit Pearson. You really feel for children who have lost a parent. Losing a loved one is difficult enough but for children, the pain is unimaginable. I thought this book to be touching and real. A great book for children.
Rachel
Aug 28, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Pearson has such a soft touch when dealing with tough subjects like grief and family dysfunction. Even though this story is set almost 60 years ago, the way the main character Cordelia, and her siblings relate to one another and the confusing grownup world unfolding above them feels timeless. Pearson shares a little about her own growing up experiences which added colour to this book here: http://www.kitpearson.com/perfectknig...
Saki3
Jan 08, 2013 Saki3 rated it it was amazing
this book is about a girl named Corrie ( short for cordelia) she faces many hardships with her best friend and her family. her brother sebastein goes upset/ crazy over a girl that dumped him. then her new best friend gets mad at Corrie for not telling what's wrong and letting her come to Corrie's house anymore. will everything be solved?? well... READ the BOOK to find OUT!!!
Lisa
Jan 04, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
This was not what I expected. I had trouble with it at first because it took me a while to figure out that it didn't take place in the present. Once I figured that out it was easier, and the story ended up being quite heart-wrenching.
Kristin
Apr 01, 2009 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, but would definitely say that it is for higher level readers and probably not appropriate for any grade lower than six. It also has more girl appeal, especially as it touches on some sad, sort of heart wrenching topics.
Ashley Chen
Apr 19, 2014 Ashley Chen rated it it was ok
Shelves: must-review
.........yikes. I was wishing this was good but man oh man was it ever so boring. Nothing happened for the most part in the first 80% of the book then stuff happened and boom, it is over. Happy ending viola. Honestly don't see the beauty in it.
Nisha
Oct 22, 2015 Nisha rated it liked it
Shelves: oct-2015

Corrie's heart thudded as they entered the rumpus room. It seemed like a room full of strangers. The girls giggled and whispered on one side and the boys stood silently on the other, eyeing the food.

Miss Clark
Oct 02, 2008 Miss Clark rated it did not like it
Shelves: the-bog
The fact that it ended up in The Bog is more from a lack of interest on my part than from an actual lack of good writing style, which was decent enough. I simply did not care for the story, nor the characters, enough to make the effort to finish it.
Alyssa
Jun 12, 2010 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, oh-canada
This was a touching story about an eleven year old girl who's family is falling apart in her hands. I absolutely fell in love reading this, and didn't put the book down until I finished a few hours later. Well written, well spoken, and beautiful, I recommend this book to everyone of all ages.
Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon.
Aaaaah <3
Just like all Kit Pearson's other books. So vivid. All the right details (that sounds wrong...) which draw you into the story and make you want to finish it, yet not finish it because then it'll be gone forever *sob*
Zora Chen
Nov 19, 2012 Zora Chen rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-life
Outstanding story, but the content could be more compact. A perfect realistic book for gr.8 to gr.9 students, simple vocabulary and umpredictable plotline.
Rachel
Jan 28, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
This book tore my heart and shreds and reduced me to tears as a preteen and I absolutely adored it.
  • From Anna
  • A Season for Miracles
  • Hero of Lesser Causes
  • A Small Pinch of Weather
  • Mystery at Lake Placid (Screech Owls, #1)
  • The Secret of Grim Hill (Grim Hill, #1)
  • The Hollow Tree
  • The Falls
  • The Swallow: A Ghost Story
  • Another Kind of Cowboy
  • Factory Girl
  • Walking Backward
  • The Crazy Man
  • No Safe Harbour: The Halifax Explosion Diary of Charlotte Blackburn (Dear Canada))
  • Winter Shadows
  • The Case of the Girl in Grey (The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency, #2)
  • The Last Treasure
Kit Pearson spent her childhood between Edmonton Alberta and Vancouver, British Columbia. As a high-school student, she returned to Vancouver to be educated at Crofton House School. She obtained a degree in English Literature at the University of Alberta, and spent several years following the degree doing odd jobs or travelling in Europe.
In 1975, she began her Library degree at the University of B
More about Kit Pearson...