Start by marking “The Texas Ranger” as Want to Read:
The Texas Ranger

The Texas Ranger (Hutton & Co. #4)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,071 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Texas Ranger Marc Brannon is involved in a high profile murder case, and comes face-to-face with the woman he has never forgotten. Josette Langley is an investigator determined to do her job even if it means going against the man she loves. When Josette crosses those who will do anything to bury the truth, Marc and Josette are thrown together in a deadly game of intrigue.
Published August 2001 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about The Texas Ranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Texas Ranger

Ian
May 17, 2012 Ian rated it did not like it
The Back Story

Age 15 Josette sneaked from her house and went to a party. While there a boy slipped a drug into her drink and attempted to rape her. Enter police officer Brannon. He decided she was lying and because of his testimony, the would be rapist walked.

Seven years later Brannon and Josette are dating (very weird) and one night he discovers she was actually telling the truth about her assault. His response is to call her a whore and tell her she isn’t enough woman for him and never wants t
Sarah Padgett
May 13, 2014 Sarah Padgett rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Virgins
(maybe spoilers)

All right hold on people, let me get this straight, from what I gathered (which may be diluted due to figuring out whodunit it by pg 50) there is some medical issues we need to discuss.

So Brannon’s love interest, Joestte is a virgin. Great, I can wrap my head around that. Brannon tries to make love to our dear Josette earlier in their relationship and…can’t because she is (forgive the bluntness) impenetrable? So later on in the story he suggests this poor girl undergo some sort o
Julz
Feb 26, 2013 Julz rated it liked it
2.5 rounded up

I thought Diana Palmer was badass. I kept l looking to make sure I had the right author.

This baby was more sugary than presweetened cereal. The plot wouldn't have been so bad if you weren't able to figure out the whodunit from first glance. And the poor dude reading for the audiobook? Well, he needs to practice female voices...though, it was good for a laugh, especially during those love scenes. ;D

If you're a lover of alpha WTFery, you'll find only a smidgen here (there was some)
Amanda Sheila
One of the most ridiculous book of Diana Palmer I've ever read. I just want to ask why. Why in the world Josette accept him back thay easily? I mean, come on.

I don't like it. At all. Could've been so much better than that.
Melanie
I like DP as a general rule.. But after the first two dozen books, the angsty plot gets a tad repetetive... There's always an older(usually 8+yrs) hero, usually in law enforcement or ranching, vs a younger virgin heroine: either he thinks she's experienced or has betrayed him and then the hero acts like an ass, and then spends the last part of the book getting forgiven...

Now I'm not saying I didn't enjoy this book, but I didn't find the formula as well applied as in other Diana Palmer books, suc
Jenny
Feb 10, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it
Good mystery romance though the fact that heroine had to have a surgery because it was impossible for hero to deflower her was all kinds of weird. Still the romance was super cute as always in a DP book! I like celibate heroes!
Jane (PS)
Mar 15, 2012 Jane (PS) rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook
Audiobook: narrated by Phil Gigante

Mix a frustratingly obvious mystery (not) with a couple of illogical and pathetic main characters, and *ta-da* = an eye-rolling romance. Urgh!! I had so much trouble not giving up on this book. I read it for a challenge and that is the ONLY reason I persisted. No more DP for me.

Narrator: 4 stars. Great characterisation (when I could separate my hands from my hair and distance myself enough to appreciate the narration). Not too keen on his masculine laugh (it re
Kaycee Sapinoso
I don't know why but maybe because I'm easy to please? Or I got carried away? But damn, I love Brannon and Josette story.

Although I don't really like what Brannon did to Josette, I still liked him. He was ashamed and admitted his mistakes. He was really sorry for what he did to Josette but it didn't changed what he feels for her. She's the only woman for him. And he was more than ready to protect, cherish and win her, no matter what she has to say about it!

As for Josette, I loved her strong cha
Erin
Jun 23, 2008 Erin rated it it was ok
THe book was...okay. A lot of the plot was forced and seemed to be premature.
Emily
When Texas Ranger Marc Brannon walked out of Josette Langley's life two years ago, it was one more betrayal from him she couldn't move past. Their lives had been intertwined throughout the years, and every terrible moment she had Marc was always on the opposite side.

When Josette is forced to work with Marc, in order to solve a high profile murder, she is not sure she will be able to get through it intact. Her heart still aches for Marc, but moving past the hurt is a tough pill to swallow.

Marc
Kay
Feb 20, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Two years ago, criminalist Josette Langley’s heart had been broken when the man she’d been dating had, after a very humiliating intimate moment, suddenly disappeared from her life. Marc Brannon had actually quit the Rangers and gone to work for the FBI, so that he was well and truly away from her. The case they had both been working on, that resulted in the conviction of a man Josie had felt was innocent, and Marc had been certain was guilty; has come to life when this man is found murdered. Mar ...more
Adriana Fogaça
Jul 03, 2013 Adriana Fogaça rated it it was amazing
Hutton & Co. 04
A Última Chance
Diana Palmer

Juro, que tentei, tentei muito, mas não consegui odiar a Marc Brannon. Acredito que ele disse e fez coisas imperdoáveis, mas como sempre, tento ver todos os ângulos de uma questão ou de uma situação.

Felizmente ou infelizmente consegui compreender os porquês de Marc

Só uma única coisa me atormenta, apesar do sentimento não é exclusivo em relação Brannon, mas é sentimento me incomoda em relação à grande maioria dos homens, é a lealdade entre eles. É to
Pattianne
Jan 17, 2014 Pattianne rated it liked it
The Texas Ranger - Hutton and Co. #4 - (Marc and Josette)

A man of integrity with a soul of steel -- pursuing honor and justice is as natural as breathing in Marc Brannon's line of work.

Called to the scene of a high-profile murder, Brannon finds himself pitted against the vibrant -- and vulnerable -- junior investigator from his past. Years ago his heart had been intertwined with Josette Langley's . . . until she'd made an explosive accusation that had sent shock waves through political circles -
Suzie Quint
Oct 16, 2011 Suzie Quint rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I've read Diana Palmer books before and enjoyed them. I lost interest in the story line when it became obvious around page 50 who the murderer was. Sadly, the main characters start to look like idiots for not seeing what's so obvious to the reader. She also didn't seem to edit for consistency (as when the hero states that he can only afford to buy her a cheap burger, but when she says she'll go dutch, he orders himself a steak.) The story tends to hit the reader over the head with the obvious. T ...more
Dee
Two-haiku review:

They have history
He's been horrible to her
Now work together

Easy mystery
Beginning all data dump
Again, a-hole guy
Tammy Pickens
Feb 22, 2015 Tammy Pickens rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Diana Palmer books!! An easy to read who done it!!
Jody
Sep 29, 2013 Jody rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, mystery, western
This was a very predictable mystery romance. I guessed immediately everything that was happening, figuring that of course there would be some twist and the murder would be not as I expected. I was thinking, okay how can this Texas Ranger be so dense? I was waiting for some twist to change the outcome, but "no!" Okay, but very predictable.
June Guymon
Jun 11, 2012 June Guymon rated it really liked it
This is an interesting romantic suspense novel that provides the reader with an exhilarating investigation starring two people in love and hate with one another. The story line is fun though Marc's obstinacy seems inappropriate for a clever detective with his glittering record. Still he is a hunk and Josette is a powerful female lead.
Debbie Raulerson
Jul 20, 2013 Debbie Raulerson rated it did not like it
I usually love Diana Palmer but this book was very amateur. The dialogue felt very forced and immature. The plot was stale and I figured out "whodunit" by the 4th chapter. The only reason I finished the book at all is because I HATE to leave a book unfinished. Very disappointed in the book.
Heidi
Jul 16, 2013 Heidi rated it did not like it
I already knew who the killer was from the first two chapters. There were no twists in the book. Some parts of the book was confusing. I do hope that I find the next book in the series, Lawless, better.
Peggy Zehring
Nov 11, 2013 Peggy Zehring rated it liked it
I figured out who the perp was early on in the story. I guess the fun was seeing how they got the evidence. I also seemed clear to me early on where the evidence was hidden.
Booklover
2 1/2 stars. Really didn't like The Texas Ranger - the writing was mediocre, the plot ok with elements of ugh, and the characters not particularly likable.
Dec 02, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didnt expect so much from this book and i was surprised in good way. There was love, scandal and some drama :) I definitely will read more from this author.
Pat Cromwell
Feb 05, 2009 Pat Cromwell rated it liked it
A+ to Diana -- this one was of her best "I hate the hero" books. I devoured it. Again the heroine eased the pain of listening to the hero lament.
Rachel
I liked this book, it wasn't to quick. Its story was ok - just a bit unbievable. I liked the main characters.

The romance was good and sweet
Jo
Feb 16, 2014 Jo rated it it was amazing
Marc Brannon/Josette Langley-he was a Texas Ranger she was a junior investigator she help Marc slove a murder and they fell in love.
Sorcha
so-so romance story, about a texas ranger and an investigator who split up 2 years earlier over accusations and misunderstandings
Christel
Apr 26, 2008 Christel rated it liked it
Shelves: diana-palmer
Not one of my favorite's of her's but it is also part of the Jacobville's books. Just could not hold my interest that much.
Cassandra
This is actually one of her books that I didn't really care for. But it was pretty good, just never really got into it.
Marianne
May 09, 2011 Marianne rated it it was ok
First time with this author...eh
Not sure how she got to be a "best selling author"
  • To Kiss a King (Kings of California, #11)
  • Mr. and Mistress (Dynasties: The Elliotts #5)
  • Love's Legacy
  • What the Greek Can't Resist (The Untamable Greeks, #2)
  • Love To Love You Baby (Trehan Brothers, #1)
  • With a Southern Touch: Adam/A Night in Paradise/Garden Cop
  • A Night with the Rock Star (Taking Stage, #2)
  • The Braddock Boys: Colton (Braddock Boys, #4) (Love At First Bite, #7)
  • Taking Chloe (Vaughn, #3)
  • Butterfly
  • His Every Kiss (Guilty, #2)
  • The Cowboy and the Angel (The Cowboy and the Angel, #1)
  • Betrothed for the Baby
  • The McKettrick Legend (McKettricks, #5 & 9)
  • Seize (St. Martin Family Saga: Emergency Responders, #2)
  • Propositioned into a Foreign Affair (The Hudsons of Beverly Hills, #5)
  • A Playboy's Love Affair
  • The Melendez Forgotten Marriage

Diana Palmer is a pseudonym for author Susan Kyle.

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's libera
More about Diana Palmer...

Hutton & Co. (5 books)