The Moon Riders (Moon Riders, #1)

The Moon Riders (Moon Riders #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  386 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Myrina has prepared for thirteen years to join the Moon Riders--learning the sacred dances, the art of using a weapon, and listening to her mother and grandmother's tales of their time spent with the Moon-maidens. Finally, the day arrives when she will leave her family and devote herself to the Old Woman, Atisha, and her tribe of fearless young warriors. No sooner do Myrin...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Harper Teen (first published February 6th 2003)

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Red Tent by Anita DiamantThe Secret Magdalene by Ki LongfellowFlow Down Like Silver by Ki LongfellowNefertiti by Michelle Moran
Awesome Women of the Ancient World
106th out of 183 books — 494 voters
Little Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart HymanPale Horse, Pale Rider by Katherine Anne PorterThe Woman Who Rode Away and Other Stories by D.H. LawrenceThe Whale Rider by Witi IhimaeraDragon Rider by Cornelia Funke
Riders Up !
78th out of 99 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

JudgyK
Authors have a habit of taking real and/or literary events and adding imaginary characters to them. Sometimes it works out well, like Ragtime. Other times it’s just sort of .. a thing that people do, and can be a little interesting to see how they explain history but can also be awfully predictable and kind of meh. The Moon Riders is more along the lines of the latter.

Your first inkling that something fishy is going on here arrives when you see King Priam, his daughter Cassandra, King Agamemnon,...more
Kati
The problem with books like The Moon Riders is that you know what's going to happen. Maybe not specifically what will happen to the imaginary main character, but when you read that she's meeting up with King Priam, his son Paris, and his daughter Cassandra while they chat about how King Menelaus married some lady named Helen, you KNOW this shit isn't going to end well.

Tomlinson adds some interesting stuff to the Iliad. She imagines a group of women who travel through Anatolia and Thrace performi...more
Loraine
The Moon riders is an exploration of what it was like to be a woman among the Mazagardi tribe of Amazons over two thousand years ago. Compared to Alice Hoffman's The Foretelling, Tomlinson's narrative style is pretty pedestrian. That being said, Tomlinson did some pretty nifty things--for one thing, she turned the siege of Troy on its head, telling a tale from the perspective of nomadic tribes who lived in Anatolia, Thessaly and other lands surrounding the both the Aegean Sea and the Sea of Marm...more
Karen
this book is okay. but… the whole book is fakish. it's not that…realistic. i mean, going to the war, coming with the 'plots' … nothing gripping, nothing really adventurous. it felt like the 'adventures' and 'dangers' seems sort of fake, you know, not that DANGEROUS or ADVENTUROUS.
Plus, some statements are pretty…you know, famish again. it's like the author wanted to complete a sentence by adding pointless, or things that aren't really what it originally is, into it. like ( it's not really in t...more
Hollie Robb
What the heck, I had a killer review on this book, now I lost it! Well I thought that it was a killer review. Anyway I'll try it again.

This book very disappointing. It was boringly slow, and I am glad that I am done with it. It wasn't what I thought it would be. I wanted to have a good Amazon woman story. Her story about Homers Iliad, you know the Torjan war. Theresa Tomlinson got some of the Greek Mythology wrong, but not all of it.

The Amazon Women were the Daughter of Aries, they didn't worsh...more
Penelope Anne Cole
I read The Moon Riders, the story of Myrina, head of the legendary Moon Riders, after the fall of Troy. I was interested in these stories because they relate to Archaeologist Jeannine Davis-Kimball's work in Warrior Women. Davis-Kimball's book follows nomadic Sauro-Sarmatian women from Kazakstan to the Mongolian steppes, clearly showing that a blond modern day nomad was related to a Woman Warrior Priestess buried in Pokrovka, Kazakstan. Tomlinson's books illustrate how those Amazon women of myth...more
*TheWrittenWord*Mo
This was an ok book, It tols a good story and when things happened to the main character Myrina I did cry and laugh, but for me it lacked that little bit extra that makes a book unforgettable.

I really liked the Moon Riders though, I thought it showed how women were powerful even then and respected. Myrina was a character you could easily like, as was Cassandra of Troy what I most liked about the book was the fact that the Moon Riders believed Cassandra, whereas in mythology it was said none beli...more
Jess
SOOO GOOD!!! I read this a while ago, but I found the sequel at the library while I was working and knew I had to reread this. I had forgotten just how much I love it! Very excited, very good characters, especially because they weren't all the same. They all had the same goal, but sometimes an author makes secondary characters all about the same. Not so here. I also loved that Myrina had no problem with kids. It always irritates me when the warrior woman doesn't want kids because she's just "too...more
Amber 7-3
This book is a wonderful story full of action and adventure! The story is based off the Trojan War but in the eyes of the Moon Riders, or more commonly known as the Amazons. The book is fantastically written and tells a compelling story of a girl and a journey that could make her lose everything that she hold dear to her heart. The Moon Riders is an exciting tale that keeps you reading the book. I would highly recemend this to people who like a book with a little bit of everything. This story ha...more
Brenna
Amazing Book I love historical fiction and Theresa does it very well
Terri Pray
Beautifully written, a completely different take on the Trojan wall. The Moon Riders are a twist on the Amazon mythos, and a compelling twist at that.

The story follows the one Moon Rider, Myrina, from her entrance into the Moon Riders (which is supposed to be for 7 or so years before she returns and takes a mate), through to the defeat of Troy.

I'd recommend this book to those who love stories about the Trojan war, with the caveat that this deals more with one group of people caught up in the w...more
Kiersten
A pretty good book; a solid combination of high heroine adventure and classic myth and history. Compelling, immersive, actually charming, and very sad. The emotional connection felt a little bit on-and-off, however; I felt very drawn to some relationships in the story and not at all affected by others. That's really my only negative comment; I fully enjoyed reading this. I don’t know if I will read the sequel, though, if I ever come across it – it just wouldn’t be the same. The Moon Riders is a...more
Fiona  Bainbridge
Fantastic! 10 out of 10!
Lucy Booth
Though hard to get into, i have so far found this book to be brilliant - to see the development of Myrina from an unimpressed teenager who has found herself exactky where she wanted to be in life, in the respected gang of Moon-Riders, to a strong young Snake Lady who has seen too much for her age and has a critical part in the War of Troy. I am almost at the end and can't wait to see how the whole mystery resolves itself!
Jessica N.
I have given up on this book. It's just not my style and a bit boring and sloooow. The only reason I gave it two stars is that it's not a bad book, I just can't get into it. I gave it a good try though - made it halfway before going on to other books.
If you are into the Battle of Troy and the legend of the Amazons, then you should give this a go.
Campbell Scollo
Myrina's story is one of courage, bravery, and about being able to do what's right. At the start of the book Myrina is like any other girl her age going to ride with the moon riders but then she meets Cassandra and while she learns as all others did before her she does not know that war is brewing and when it hits it will be the end of Troy
Kira Blake
Ok. So I just reread this book and I remembered how much I LOVE IT!!!! It happens during the time of the Trojan War which makes it have some very sad parts, but I love this book just the same. It is written with great characters and the story is well put together. I Highly recommend it. You'll cry though, just warning you!
Giulia
I read this quite a while ago and I thought it was really really good! Albeit, I was young, but I still remember falling in love with the characters and the setting...
However, I have a hard time remembering everything, save the last scene of the book which is forever seared into my mind (in a good way!)
Tabitha
The whole premise of Warrior women during the Battle of Troy sounded great. Like many other reviews I found plot boring and slow. I kept waiting for the plot to get better (once the main character got to Troy) but it didn't. Much of the main story arches from the Illiad were barely covered.
Carolynn
Amazing story of strong, confident and courageous women- both young and old, written for young adults... it would make a great gift to a middle school girl. The rewrite and alternative take on the Trojan Horse tale is incredibly well done, easy to read while not dumbing it down for kids.
Susanna
Historical romance - my favorite! Even after countless reads, this book still moves me to tears. The use of facts and fiction combined creates a whole new world to dive into. My own words cannot convey the pure excellence of this book. Just pick it up and read it!
Denise Ashlock-Phillips
I really enjoyed this book. I don't know that it would be teachable because it is so long and some of the students would have a hard time with the book. I would definitely recommend it to students that wanted to read a good book based on mythology though.
Lexie
I am really interested in the Trojan War and that whole history so this book was a great read for me. I love the whole Amazon woman take and I think the author did a great job of researching it. I am definitely intrigued to read the sequel.
Brinlie Clark
I thought it was dumb how Helen and Paris risked thousands of lives just to be together. They should have just elloped and lived in France instead of making Troy get destroyed. But I did like the idea of girl warriors.
Laney
Sep 25, 2008 Laney rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone over the age of 10
I finished the boo and it was SOOOO GOOD It left me near tears but it was an excellent read. It does, however, have a lot of death and despair so for anyone can't handle that, this isn't the book for you.
Georgia Conroy
Is it to bold to say that Theresa Tomlinson's work has shaped the woman you see today? The strength and strong willed characters she writes of have truly inspired me since I was a teenager. An amazing book!
Lisa
I really enjoyed this book. It's for young adults, but it was interesting and had a lot of action mixed in with the history and a culture of Amazons. If you enjoy Greek Amazons, this is a great book to read.
Mazmi
I read this years ago so I can't really remember much about it. I did enjoy the story however, it was different the 'moon riders' title sounded pretty good in itself. The cover is really nice too.
Bronwyn
I loved this book very much. Theresa is a very good writer, the only thing I didn't like about it was that almost everyone died. I hoping to get the next book soon and see what happens next! :)
Elena vimos
if you like ancient Greece stories and like the Amazonian women this book is for you. another book like this but in my opinion is way better is CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR.
  • Lost in the Labyrinth
  • The Woven Path (Tales from the Wyrd Museum, #1)
  • Quiver
  • Iris, Messenger
  • Goddess of Yesterday
  • Aphrodite's Blessings: Love Stories from the Greek Myths
  • Viking Warrior (The Strongbow Saga, #1)
  • Dazzling Brightness (Greek Myths, #1)
  • City of Fire (City Trilogy, #1)
  • King of Ithaka
  • Day of the Scarab (The Oracle Prophecies, #3)
  • The Telling Pool
  • Cupid: A Tale of Love and Desire
  • The F***ing Epic Twitter Quest of @MayorEmanuel
  • The Legend of Holly Claus
  • The Turning (Angel on the Square, #4)
  • The Song of the Lioness Quartet (Song of the Lioness, #1-4)
  • Piratica II: Return to Parrot Island (Piratica, #2)
Though I was born in the South of England - my parents moved back to the North when I was one year old, and I have lived in Yorkshire ever since. I spent a few years as an infant teacher, but when my children were young I started making picture books for them and became hooked on writing. I love drawing and painting, but my main love is writing, often using the legends and history around me as ins...more
More about Theresa Tomlinson...
The Forestwife (Forestwife Saga, #1) The Forestwife Trilogy Voyage of the Snake Lady (Moon Riders, #2) Child of the May (Forestwife Saga, #2) A Swarming of Bees