Start by marking “The Bone Orchard (The Gin Palace Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Bone Orchard (The Gin Palace Trilogy, #2)

The Bone Orchard (The Gin Palace Trilogy #2)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  652 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
A TOWN GETTING AWAY WITH MURDER

Beneath the glamour of a trendy Hamptons summer town lies another world–one of dark lives and desperate secrets. And when Labor Day arrives and the beautiful people depart, locals like Declan MacManus are left behind to make a living out of just surviving. A sometime P.I., MacManus is an expert at self-defense and a master of self-destruction
Mass Market Paperback, 277 pages
Published March 26th 2002 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Bone Orchard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bone Orchard

Linda
Sep 15, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
This book, free from Amazon, was an entertaining read. There were a few errors, but none interrupted my reading or the flow of the book. The mechanics were good except for character development. I liked Declan, protagonist in chief, and the storyline, but both had the potential to be really extraordinary in a way that would not detract from the simplicity of both. That sounds like an oxymoron, but sounding and being are two different things. I liked that the author did not jumble up the storylin ...more
Maryanne
Bone Orchard 02272005
Daniel Judson
ISBN: 0553584162
In Southampton, Long Island, private investigator Frank Gannon hires Declan MacManus to tail a client's son-in-law who might be cheating. Declan wants to say no, but cannot allow his best friend Augie, still recovering from severe injuries, to go on the case alone.

Augie and Declan conduct a stakeout in a lonely back road when they notice a person in the nearby woods. Soon a car arrives followed by an explosion with the vehicle falling into a
Maddy
Feb 20, 2014 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2002-reads
Any town that attracts the trendsetters tends to have two societal elements, the haves and the have-nots. Declan MacManus is definitely a member of the latter group. As summer passes into autumn, Southampton becomes something of a ghost town.

Mac has lived in Southampton most of his life. At an early age, his father deserted him and he was adopted by a wealthy man who treated him abominably. As an adult, he has led a mostly empty life, leavened by a few precious friendships. One is with a cab dr
Cheryl
Sep 14, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More corruption, intimidation and hit squads

This second book in the Gin Palace Trilogy is just a good as the first. We get a little bit more of the back story and some of the key criminals are taken down in one form or another. Daniel Judson creates great mysteries with drama and suspense. One more of the trilogy and then I will be off to read more of Judson.
kenneth  h.  robinson
Few People are Who They Claim To Be

Everyone has secrets in this town and several are deadly, leading the protagonist to climb out of his hidey hole where he has secreted himself from the grim world he's dug for himself since he was twenty. He has few friends but they are vital to his survival as deals with demands placed upon him.
Sue
This book was OK. Hard to follow at times. A fast paced mystery, the main character, Declan McManus had a sense of justice and didn't like killing. But killing dominated the story as he tries to figure out why and who the people are that are out to get him. Maybe if I read the 1st in the series first I would have enjoyed more.
Marilyn
Jun 03, 2014 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing with this series is a must for this lead character. Never have I read where one person seems to always be in the line of fire for all that's coming down on one person. Crooked cops, break-ins, murder, all seem to happen in one small town And the townspeople seem to either be unaware or they're too scared to say anything.
angela yargus
May 01, 2015 angela yargus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great but Sad Tale

I really like this man's novels. Overall, they are action-filled and yet, over it all, Mac's father's disappearance you know, is woven in. And, in the end, I just wanted Mac to have a chance to be HUMAN. His life is so.....raw.....like a gaping wound that you know will never heal.
Irene Marie Dawson
Kill or be killed.

set in the summer resort area of long island,a life long resident attempts to find the person responsible for the senseless murder of a young girl. what ensues is a race to find the killer responsible and remain alive. Very interesting plotline and surprising ending.
Marilyn Punton
Feb 07, 2016 Marilyn Punton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page turner

Deserves a five star rating. Excellent flow to the story and good range of characters, second book in a series of three but that doesn't really interfere with the storyline. Would highly recommend and I will be willing to buy the other books in the series.
Steve
Sep 05, 2015 Steve rated it liked it
The detective dishwasher of this trilogy is a tragic figure in many ways. The story is engaging and complex. I find the reluctance of Mac to use his gift of detecting and solving mysterys to pay the bills to be somewat old after a while. Mac is misunderstood and mistreated in many ways.
Robin
Aug 12, 2008 Robin rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
This one was one of those amazon.com, "If you liked x, then you'll love this one!" types of recommendations. I don't even remember what I was buying at the timebut surely, it must have been better than this one. This was not a horrible book, but I really didn't like it. When I purchased it, this was the first published book by the author, but it reads as if it is a later book in a series in such a way that I felt as if I was missing vital information/backstory. I also wasn't particularly into th ...more
Glenda Rosier
Feb 05, 2016 Glenda Rosier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Did not realize this was part of a trilogy until I was already into the story, but it didn't take long to piece this together and figure out what happened in the first book.This has lots of good details. Quite a good book.
Judy Gonnering
Spellbinding

this young man seemed to have a most tragic life. how he c constantly keep going and never give up amazed me. he seem to want to be left alone and live a quiet life but he cared Too much about certain people.

Mariann
Feb 06, 2015 Mariann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
not just your run of the mill murder mystery

This is a very entertaining, thought provoking mystery. The characters are believable and well fleshed out and the protagonist is a wonderful anti hero. Highly recommended.
T.w. Space-siegrist
Need to read part 1 of the trilogy then 3

Small town crime engineered by small-minded greedy men with only Declan Macmanus for moral guidance. The good guys pay a huge price.
Kristen
May 21, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Daniel Judson's The Bone Orchard, the second installment in the Gin Palace thriller series, he told us a gripping tale of revenge and corruption. It all started with saving a girl in a car accident from drowning in the year for Declan MacManus and his friend Augie. From there, it escalated into something worse and severe, when they've been bribes, attempted on their lives, and a deep dark secret that remained buried and hidden under ground. For Mac, it never knew what happened to the father. ...more
Mary Hinkle
May 09, 2015 Mary Hinkle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Mystery in Prose

Paragraph s of descriptions pulling you into a mystery. Small town politics and old kept secrets make for an interesting read. On to book three!
Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin
Decent

story line was interesting, but the main character seems fuzzy,alternating between a wimpy dishwasher and college graduate and martial arts black belt

Rebecca
Aug 04, 2014 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
Okay, but not great. Sometimes I felt like I was missing things from not having read the first one. Also some sloppy parts. I had trouble liking the characters--no one to cheer for.
MaryLynn Clark
Feb 15, 2014 MaryLynn Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was very well written. It was hard to put down. I'm looking forward to reading other books by this author.
Teresa Koppie
Feb 04, 2016 Teresa Koppie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining

The martial arts descriptions can go on a bit and don't always agree with some of main character's thought processes but good read overall.
Twyla
Jun 14, 2015 Twyla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story line picks back up and the characters remain true to their roles. The twists in the mysteries are woven so well together and the results are satisfying.
Dawn Marie Shirk
Great Plot

Great story line, interesting characters. Main character a little bit stupid, doesn't really think things through. Gets a bit frustrating.
Marilyn Henderson
D judson

D judson

love a good mystery. this was a very good read and an awesome author . a 5 star book. would recommend this book.
Karen
Jan 07, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was hard to put down. I had to get to the end to find out what happened. Now I find there is a third book in this series. I need to add that to my to read list.
Linda Look
Feb 03, 2014 Linda Look rated it it was amazing
Small town world of corruption revealed to Declan MacManus, a sometimes PI just trying to keep a low profile and get by. Very fast read and convoluted plot. I rated this a 5.0
Beth
Sep 20, 2014 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second in the series and a continuation of the same story with mostly the same characters and mainly the same actions/results.
Leslie
Lurches from plot point to plot point with all the finesse of a drunken undergraduate after exam week.
D.L. Williams
Feb 14, 2014 D.L. Williams rated it liked it
Interesting story, great descriptive prose. Judson created a dark and very physical world, made you feel like you were right there with the characters.
  • A Deadly Distance (Jack Noble #2)
  • See No Evil (Shingle Beach, #1)
  • Torch Ginger (Lei Crime, #2)
  • Designed to Kill (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, Book 2)
  • The Storm Killer
  • The Bloodbath Ritual  (The Alex Hollick FBI Series #1)
  • The Journal (Jack O'Neill Mystery, #2)
  • Three, Four...Better Lock Your Door (Rebekka Franck, #2)
  • Bad Spirits (Kate Jones Thriller, #1)
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • Cool Blue Tomb (Soc Series)
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • A Dead Red Heart (A Dead Red #2)
  • The Ghost of Blackwood Lane
  • Death of a Lovable Geek (Dotsy Lamb, #2)
  • Torn Apart (Hero, #1)
  • The Butterfly Forest (Sean O'Brien, #3)
  • Flash Bang
62085
DANIEL JUDSON, a Shamus Award winner and a four-time finalist, is the author of five previous novels, most recently The Violet Hour. He attended Southampton College, and his time in the Hamptons (particularly the parts that don’t make the society pages) was the inspiration for the setting and characters in Voyeur. He now lives in Connecticut.
More about Daniel Judson...

The Gin Palace Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Poisoned Rose (The Gin Palace Trilogy, #1)
  • The Gin Palace (The Gin Palace Trilogy, #3)