Start by marking “The Beauty Bible: The Ultimate Guide to Smart Beauty” as Want to Read:
The Beauty Bible: The Ultimate Guide to Smart Beauty

The Beauty Bible: The Ultimate Guide to Smart Beauty

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Myriad new formulas, outrageous claims, and hot controversies run rampant in the cosmetics industry. This second edition of The Beauty Bible will help clear up the confusion. From tanning pills to oxygen in products, from facial exercises to behind-the-scenes industry information, this book covers it all. Containing 50 percent new material, this edition includes advice on ...more
Published May 28th 2002 by Beginning Press (first published November 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Beauty Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beauty Bible

Catrina
Very basic and biased - seems comprehensive at first, but if you are really searching for good info on a beauty topic, this book isn’t it. Certainly not for those who are knowledgeable in this field, which this book is marketed to. Covers everything from makeup to plastic surgery to skin conditions. Ingrown toenails are a topic, but really, a paragraph stating the obvious makes much of this book filler and not very substantial. This format works for the author’s Don’t Go to the Cosmetics Counter ...more
Kim
Great, straight-forward information on scientifically effective routines for proper skincare. Each section address the 'why' of ingredient effectiveness, and provides step-by-step instruction for different routines to address different concerns.

She pushes her own products a bit, but offers several readily available alternatives, and stands by the effectiveness of her own products. (I've used them - they are great and often inexpensive, given the alternatives.)

My only gripe would be the lack of a
Leanne
Very good book to help figure out what is really being promised in the beauty industry.
Jenna
hands down the best REAL guide to beauty products/myths/skin mysteries
TheRose
Paula Begoun's research is fantastic. She translates all the cosmetic chemistry into plain English. Much of the information in my book was exactly what I was looking for! My only "complaint" is that the author tends to seem somewhat arrogant in her opinions of what a woman should look like. While I'm not that crazy about most fashion fads, I don't believe one thing works for everyone and that each person should customize her look to suit herself. I think Ms. Begoun and I might disagree on that p ...more
Tiffany
Read it in preparation for something I was doing. It had really good information but got repetitive and boring in places. I found myself skimming sections of it to get the main idea so that I could read what I wanted to know about. It also is of far less value without her other book, Don't Go To the Cosmetics Counter Without Me.
StrangeBedfellows
This is a useful and interesting book, but far from the 'ultimate guide' that the author would like you to believe. Begoun's advice is overly preoccupied with wrinkles, ignoring a whole host of other beauty concerns. The contents of this book fall under the category of 'good to know' even if you don't agree with everything.
Kristin
Apr 19, 2008 Kristin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who is battling with skin care issues.
Recommended to Kristin by: Paula Begoun
Shelves: beauty
I credit this book with the answer to my late-teen acne issue. After following her advice, my skin cleared up within weeks. This book is chock full of inexpensive skin care solutions for every type of skin, from hydrogen peroxide as a toner, to milk of magnesia as a mask. Don't laugh, it really works!
Lyssrose Farver
I don't think the previous state of my beauty routine was nearly as dire as the blurb from the back of the book makes it sound; however, I definitely feel that this book has helped me to streamline that process, and has given me the tools to make more informed decisions regarding my skin care purchases.
Nowheregirl
This is totally a must read...the inner-beauty-blogger-makeup-optimist in me adored it...kept reading given all the situation (Bengali.new.year.celebration!!!!)
speaking of which, I need to reread it..and study...and experiment..DIY!!!! Tips!!!oh am I excited!
Veeta
dah lama kepingiiiin banget punya ni buku setelah ngintip web nya Paula's Choice...eh ga disangka beberapa bulan kemudian nemu ni buku di Periplus mana diskon pula,ga perlu mikir panjang langsung deh diangkut ke kasir....wakakakakk jodoh emang ga kemana ;D
Alicia
Best book I have ever read about beauty..gives great insight into the beauty industry..products, what the products are doing to our skin, wha to avoid, how much we are payign just for a label.
Science For The People
Featured on Skeptically Speaking show #64 on June 18, 2010, during an interview with author Paula Begoun. http://skepticallyspeaking.ca/episode...
Whitney
If you know me...you know I love make-up and skin care. So yes, this book was fascinating to me. LOTS of info.
Angela Williams
Basic, insightful and a new girlfriend to me!! Helped me get out if the rat race of high end beauty dollars.
Dunrie
Helped me cut through cosmetic-marketing-speak and select appropriate skin-care products. Also saved me $$!
Amy
Great resource! Learned a great deal!
Annamarie
Great to read if you sensitive skin.
T.
Love anything by Paula!
Bryn
Learn, padawan.
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Jenn Haskins
Jenn Haskins marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Ti Ti
Ti Ti marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Sarah Walker
Sarah Walker marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Marilynn Casida
Marilynn Casida marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
  • The Wrinkle Cure: Unlock the Power of Cosmeceuticals for Supple, Youthful Skin
  • Bobbi Brown Beauty
  • Makeup Makeovers: Expert Secrets for Stunning Transformations
  • Stop the Insanity
  • The Art of Makeup
  • Color Me Beautiful
  • InStyle: Instant Style: Your Season-by-Season Guide for Work and Weekend
  • Peace, Love and Healing: Bodymind Communication & the Path to Self-Healing: An Exploration
  • The Modern Girl's Guide to Motherhood
  • About Face: Amazing Transformations Using the Secrets of the Top Celebrity Makeup Artist
  • How to Make a Zombie: The Real Life (and Death) Science of Reanimation and Mind Control
  • An Epidemic of Rumors: How Stories Shape Our Perception of Disease
  • Environmental Debt: The New Economics of the 21st Century
  • The Day the World Discovered the Sun: An Extraordinary Story of Scientific Adventure and the Race to Track the Transit of Venus
  • The Best Science Writing Online 2012
  • The Rough Guide to Psychology
  • Ultimate Spy Book
  • The Golden Ticket: P, NP, and the Search for the Impossible
Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me: A Unique Guide to Over 35,000 Products, Plus the Latest Skin-Care Research Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care Products Without Me: Over 4,000 Products Reviewed, Plus the Latest Hair-Care Information The Original Beauty Bible: Skin Care Facts for Ageless Beauty The Complete Beauty Bible: The Ultimate Guide to Smart Beauty Blue Eyeshadow Should Be Illegal: a beautifully different makeup manual